Talk Is Jericho... Or Is It Just a Conspiracy?

wordsfromlee

Aye that's cool but even for artists I adore I'd say they're still overpriced myself. Like, I love Poppy and it was "only" £100 or so to meet her and get a little exclusive merch but I guess I just don't get the artist worship as much as some.

4 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Aye that's cool but even for artists I adore I'd say they're still overpriced myself. Like, I love Poppy and it was "only" £100 or so to meet her and get a little exclusive merch but I guess I just don't get the artist worship as much as some.

Yeah, it depends what's offered I guess. For example, I wouldn't pay $200 to get a photo with the members of Crowbar or Down (two of my favourite bands) but I'd probably pay it if I got to see them do the soundcheck and run through a couple of songs. Like a private gig of sorts, which is more about the experience than anything else.

I ended up paying a steep price to see Slayer in Vegas, despite having seen them numerous times before. The reason I paid was for the support, which was Phil Anselmo and the Illegals, playing an entire Pantera set. Again, an experience thing. Not something I'll likely see again.

Some people are right into the meet & greet thing, mind you, which is cool. Whatever blows your hair back I guess.

5 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

As much as I dislike Ed Sheeran, I remember him saying he refused to do those VIP things because he had enough money and they exclude poorer fans who have had to make sacrifices to get cheap tickets anyway. Along with Queen Tay, he’s one of the ones who didn’t have sold out gigs on their last tour because they cancelled loads of tickets that scalpers were reselling at stupid prices. Comrade Ed. 

I wanna say the VIP experience with Jericho on the cruise is $2000 and it sold out in minutes! Not sure exactly what it includes (maybe q & a and a belt?)- but $200 seems like a steal in comparison…

Not that I would do any of these, but each to their own like.

@Merzbow has pretty much covered what I was meaning in terms of personal value put on it, and perhaps I have let personal opinion get in the way a little.

I just think it's a bit of con and taking advantage of people, especially the uber-fan that you mentioned. I realise that in the age of streaming/downloading etc that live music & merch is how a band makes their money now, unless you're one of the elite acts who make all of their money through airplay and publishing.

I know that all of these packages offer different things depending who they're for and so on, but a lot of them do have a lot of the same perks in common-

* "Early Access to the venue" - great, I can get in first, and therefore wait the longest*

* "Early access to buy merchandise" - so, I'm giving you money to be given the opportunity to give you even more money?

* Soundcheck - great, I can hear the band tune up and some roadie say "testing, testing, 2...2" over and over, and I only had to pay for the privilege. It's not like they'll do this all over again before they play later on.

I realise that that outlook is very "old man yells at cloud" and "Extended Warranty? how can I lose!" and makes me look like a grumpy out of touch fucker, but isn't part of the fun for some people waiting out the back of the venue waiting for the band to appear, hoping they'll see you so that you can grab an autograph or a picture, rather than paying them to do it? Is meeting someone as special an experience if you've paid them for it?

look, I'm not going to tell anyone how to spend their money, that's theirs and they can do with it as they wish, it's just not for me

* see also: Priority Boarding

32 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

The Live Rooms is tiny! like 200 people tiny.

I saw them play there a few years ago. Jericho said they were one of the best crowds Fozzy have played for and they’d definitely be back.

2 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I realise that that outlook is very "old man yells at cloud" and "Extended Warranty? how can I lose!" and makes me look like a grumpy out of touch fucker, but isn't part of the fun for some people waiting out the back of the venue waiting for the band to appear, hoping they'll see you so that you can grab an autograph or a picture, rather than paying them to do it? Is meeting someone as special an experience if you've paid them for it?

For the part in bold, of course it is. And those people you speak of aren't the ones buying the VIP tickets. But that doesn't make them any more of a mark than the chumps who stand for 90 minutes in the pissing rain waiting to get in, while watching for the band to appear for a picture or autograph, does it?

If the packages represented bad value they wouldn't sell out. For example, I'm guessing if Fozzy announced they had 50 VIP packages for their Glasgow show, priced at $750 each they'd not shift so quickly. At the end of the day, they charge what people are willing to pay.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’ve noticed that the night Fozzy are playing Club Academy, Pitchshifter are playing the smaller Academy 3. 

I bet it's better value and a more entertaining show.

• Paid Members

I think if I was a big enough fan of someone I’d rather pay some money to meet them and get an autograph than pester them before or afterwards, when they’re just trying to live their lives. I’ve always found something a bit uncomfortable about people standing around the venue afterwards, especially the older I get. It’s not as bad as the mutants hanging around hotels or airports, but still.

And yeah - some of the best gigs I’ve been to were at Academy 3 and Club Academy. It’s like having the band in your living room.

5 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’ve always found something a bit uncomfortable about people standing around the venue afterwards,

For a lot of musicians, it’s fair game and still part of the gig, so to speak. If it’s away from the venue then that’s different. I’ve probably seen Tori Amos more than any other musical artist and she is known for her impromptu meet and greets at the stage door. For a lot of her fans (lesbians usually) it’s part of a meet up with other fans that’s been going on for decades. Obviously in my mind, and I’ve no evidence except the long list in my head, they all hate Mick Foley. 

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It’s a great venue though, real intimate. If you like the band it’ll be a brilliant gig. 

And if you don't, you can gob in their faces. Win/win innit. 

3 hours ago, LCJ said:

I saw them play there a few years ago. Jericho said they were one of the best crowds Fozzy have played for and they’d definitely be back.

Bon Jovi said the same about Cardiff Arms Park. Did he stop them knocking it down? Did he fuck. 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I just think it's a bit of con and taking advantage of people, especially the uber-fan that you mentioned. I realise that in the age of streaming/downloading etc that live music & merch is how a band makes their money now, unless you're one of the elite acts who make all of their money through airplay and publishing.

Back when I was still gigging and kidding myself I could ever make a career of it, one of the most frequent pieces of advice I'd hear from experienced musicians on the circuit was that super-fans are the key to acts making money at all, for two reasons: 1. as you say, they spend a ton of cash, and 2. they "evangelise" for the act, sharing publicity and promos for gigs and album releases, recommending the act to other people, and so on. Ticket sales in themselves don't account for all that much until you hit the absolute big leagues.

• Paid Members

Never change, Chris. This is in relation to the GIF Shotzi Blackheart tweeted after the Blood and Guts bump, along with Shayna Bazsler criticising the way it was shot.

Edited by Nick James