Talk Is Jericho... Or Is It Just a Conspiracy?

wordsfromlee

• Moderators
On 1/24/2021 at 6:53 PM, Michael_3165 said:

I tend to find Jericho hugely overrated. Sure he had some crackers over the years but there was a tendency for them to be w other very good performers. Sure he had great showings in WCW and I'd never say he is the shits cos he clearly wasn't. 

What is the general feeling about him here? 

I'm probably with you. I loved Lionheart in WCW as a heel, but everything else he's done has left me cold. Especially when he was cosplaying Nick Bockwinkel and then was moaning on twitter about people ripping off "his" gimmick.

ActuallY I liked him with Benoit in 01 too.

I remember everyone going gaga for that Bockwinkel turn at the time, but it’s pure shite watching it back and seems to foreshadow the era of promos being heavily scripted to bullet points and camera placement - as much as Jericho likes to pretend he rips up stuff writers give him. 

The Michaels feud in 2009 is one of the most overrated ever as well. Or is it? Watched it back lately? Me neither. 

Put me down as another who has never got Jericho. AEW run aside I have never enjoyed him that much. 

I used to enjoy his podcast until it became glaringly obvious he is stuck between believing he is in the upper echelon of wrestlers whilst at the same time seeming desperate for their approval, whenever he gets a big name on he is always trying to get them to put him over "yeah man guys like us eh eh eh." 

As I haven't mentioned it in a while the stupid fucker also thought London was the oldest city in the world, fucking London.  

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

The Michaels feud in 2009 is one of the most overrated ever as well. Or is it? Watched it back lately? Me neither. 

I liked the start of it/the build-up to it with all the moving parts, Batista being bitter at Shawn retiring Flair, Shawn being deliberately portrayed as a cunt (they usually do it accidentally) with the fake injury, Jericho all the while trying to stir-up shit and eventually snapping wondering how the fuck people can still like Shawn (been there, brother). I remember little after Jericho actually turned.

• Paid Members

One of the most pathetic things he ever done on that podcast was beg the elite to let him be apart of their YouTube show. This was back when they were in ROH and possibly during his first cruise and he had the Bucks, Page, Marty and either Cody and/or Kenny on. He was almost going full David Brent with his “please let me be on being the elite”. I think he even made a passive aggressive comment about them having James Ellsworth on there and not him. 

Another strange thing he does is put guests on the spot about how good he is at giving advice. He had Dunne, Bate and Seven on and he said he was at their tryout and said “you all came over to me for advice. Did I give  you good advice? Tell everyone what I said” while Dunne awkwardly tried to answer/probably make something up. 

Massive underrating of Jericho on here, he's been part of some stellar work and segments in his career.

Great as a baby face and a heel, believable work, great mic work, great character work, sure he's a bit of a jabroni at the moment with his Trump nonsense, but he's still a pretty good egg all things considered (donations to all of those GoFundMe pages come to mind) 

Even his most recent work in AEW has been top notch. His in ring work is obviously not as good as it used to be, but he's still miles better in the ring than the other guys his age with similar career lengths, Taker, Triple H, Kane etc

• Paid Members

If we’re in for the career introspective posts in this thread as well, I’ll bite. I loved Jericho in WCW, even the white meat babyface version with “basketball highlights #27” for a theme before the Evenflow knock off, and when he turned heel he became one of the most entertaining characters in the big 3. The charm of his appeal was the inflated self worth and the fact you were dying to see him put in his place. As 98 became 99 he fell squarely into the bracket of “they should be doing more with his talent” .... and I don’t think Jericho ever moved on from that impression of his own standing, however far he actually got. He’s always thought he was better than he is, and should have permanently been on top. He’s been good - at times, very good - but he’s never been the top guy either as a character or as a wrestler. He’s always been entertaining in programs but never to the point I wanted him at the absolute apex for longer than a month or two. He’s had a few belts but only to a “Batista” kind of number in the era of fast turnovers and two belts, rather than to Cena/Orton numbers which is where he thinks he should be.

He’s held the I belt more often than anyone due to good timing, longevity and not getting injured very often, but that’s not the claim to fame he thinks it is. It’s indicative of how he never really broke out of that upper midcard position. Post fake title win and HHH feud? Back after the I title with Benoit. Post Undisputed title? Going after the I title with RVD. Post returning hero 2007 comeback when by rights he should have been presented as too big to be back at that level again? Of course, the obvious choice for Intercontinental champ when Jeff got busted. That’s your level, mate.

Can we get into that Undisputed win? What a clusterfuck that was. After an autumn that threatened to have Y2J become a real main eventer only to get put back in his place by The Rock, he had the distinction of being chosen to be the first Undisputed champion - after they’d changed their minds at least three times including telling Kurt already that he was winning it. The victory itself being a shambles of a finale that served to set up an alliance with Vince that never really happened, with a finish that set up an Austin/Booker feud that barely happened. His reign ended up overshadowed by Hunters comeback in its first month, was secondary interest to the nWo in its second month despite wrestling Steve fucking Austin, and was terminated in a manner in which not only did the match make him look out of his depth, but the rivalry on screen was 100% Hunter vs Stephanie with the champ walking the dog in the background. Chris was then an easy scrub for Backlash one month after closing WrestleMania. He can dine out on “first Undisputed champion” but the reality is that it only served to close the door on WCW and return the belt to Triple H without Rock, Austin or Angle having to lose it to him.

Was he over like Rover a bunch of times? Yes. Was he one of the best ever? No, not really. If he had a fraction of the impact he thinks he had, maybe one of those random losses to Fandango or Evan Bourne might have made a star out of the winner, maybe he’d have had revenge matches after Jack Swagger cashed in rather than moving the latter straight into Orton, maybe he’d have gone on last at a Mania other than a woefully mistimed outing with HHH, maybe he’d have spent less time fucking around in tag teams and maybe he’d have been kept in a position of prominence that would have placated his ego so he wouldn’t have needed to go be treated like royalty by AEW. And therein lies the truth ; he’s one of the biggest stars ever in his mind only.

6 minutes ago, sukhy said:

Massive underrating of Jericho on here, he's been part of some stellar work and segments in his career.

Great as a baby face and a heel, believable work, great mic work, great character work, sure he's a bit of a jabroni at the moment with his Trump nonsense, but he's still a pretty good egg all things considered (donations to all of those GoFundMe pages come to mind) 

Even his most recent work in AEW has been top notch. His in ring work is obviously not as good as it used to be, but he's still miles better in the ring than the other guys his age with similar career lengths, Taker, Triple H, Kane etc

This.

I can't help but feel that people's judgements are being over run by his Trump love in rather than his abilities.

He's always been overrated in-ring. Good obviously, but clunky and awkward for the style he'd work. He wasn't in the league of some of the other early 00s 'workrate' guys, despite having a similar rep at the time.

His best asset was always his ability to adapt and keep fresh. I remember his last couple of WWE runs where his ring work was actively terrible, right up there with Kane and RVD as a guy I didn't want to see wrestle anymore. Then he went to Japan, changed it up again and was miraculously doing the best work of his career. 2018 - to his first year in AEW, he was on top of the world as some sleazy old brawler.

Now he's pretty shit again. Running, bumping and bloated, trying to keep up with the young flippy guys.

• Paid Members

My favourite wrestler of all time. When I first discovered wrestling in 2000 as a 10 year old, he was the coolest bastard in the world to me and that perception has never gone away. There's never been anybody better for me in managing to excel at both in-ring work, character, and generally just seeming like a cool guy to hang out with in real life. I adore the guy. (although I've never seen AEW, but from what I gather the criticism is "he got fat" - so? The guy's body can't stay 30 years old forever).

6 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

just seeming like a cool guy to hang out with in real life.

Having read his books and being generally aware of what he is like due to his podcast etc I can safely say he sounds like an absolute tosser in real life as well. 

• Paid Members

I did rather enjoy that he manages to keep reinventing himself, but I think you've got it bang on @air_raid

Edited by jazzygeofferz