Talk Is Jericho... Or Is It Just a Conspiracy?

wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

They work in other countries, yeah. Unfortunately, the UK sees them as a bulletproof vest after you’ve been shot.

The first Lockdown worked. It was two weeks late but it clearly had the desired effect.

12 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

It sounds utterly pointless even just reading it. It's your time, so you do what you want, but it's not providing a useful service.

How often do you properly engage with people with different views from yours? Or do you just ignore and dismiss them? That attitude got us Brexit and Trump when everyone told us to ignore these fringe opinions that wouldn’t come to anything, and look where it got us. So it is useful to learn and prevent in future. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Louch said:

How often do you properly engage with people with different views from yours? Or do you just ignore and dismiss them? That attitude got us Brexit and Trump when everyone told us to ignore these fringe opinions that wouldn’t come to anything, and look where it got us. So it is useful to learn and prevent in future. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth#Internet-era_resurgence

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Louch said:

It gives me their arguments to go and research, then when I talk to someone who has those views I’m ready to debate. How’s that pointless? 

I'm not trying to be funny here but have you ever actually tried to discuss anything with people who believe this nonsense? No matter what research you do, you'll never ever convince them that they are wrong. For some of them, "truth seeking" is their entire identity. It's all they have.

The other point is that I can guarantee that your reach is a lot smaller than Jericho's. For every one person you debate with there will be a thousand more listening to this shit, believing it wholeheartedly and passing it on to others, using "I heard this on Chris Jericho's podcast" to legitimize it.

It's dangerous and he shouldn't be giving them a platform.

6 minutes ago, Louch said:

There are having different views, such as Brexit and Trump, then there is reality. You can debate politics, you can’t debate something that is factually wrong. It’s the same bullshit as “It’s an opinion so it can’t be wrong”. In my opinion, Mick Jagger was the best Beatle and you can’t say I’m wrong because it’s my opinion. 

• Paid Members

You know the whole thing of when you bring Hitler/nazis into the argument, you’ve lost?

I feel it’s the same when flat earthers and conspiracy theorists say it’s the government doing a cover up. That’s their final piece of “evidence” that they’re clutching at and it’s game over. 

3 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Lockdowns work to protect hospitals, that is the whole point if them. 

Good response :)

I'm not hopeful on the vaccine, and i think herd immunity will be the end goal. Top scientists reckon we should have been protecting the vulnerable instead of vaccinating them, and going herd immunity early. 

When you compare the skewed figures of covid (the 28 day rule) to the most comparable thing which is Spanish flu which lasted 2 years. It's not as dire and it surely can't last that much longer. 

Let conspiracy theorists have their theories. If you change it from someone sharing their theory to their opinion then people wouldn't be so up in arms would they. Everyone here has their own opinion and as much as we may not like each others opinions we should respect folk enough to listen to it, and that their entitled to that view. 

Edited by kamicazze
better content

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, kamicazze said:

Let conspiracy theorists have their theories. If you change it from someone sharing their theory to their opinion then people wouldn't be so up in arms would they. Everyone here has their own opinion and as much as we may not like each others opinions we should respect folk enough to listen to it, and that their entitled to that view. 

I don't follow.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, kamicazze said:

Everyone here has their own opinion and as much as we may not like each others opinions we should respect folk enough to listen to it, and that their entitled to that view. 

Nah. That would be true if we're arguing about whether Bam Bam Bigelow was a better "big man" than Vader or whether Roman Reigns should've turned heel after he beat the Undertaker at Wrestlemania. Those are opinions and are pretty unimportant overall.

What Jericho is helping to spread are lies. Dangerous ones at that.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Louch said:

How often do you properly engage with people with different views from yours? Or do you just ignore and dismiss them?

I have very different views from NAMBLA. I believe noncing children is wrong. 

Should I entertain their views, because they have the opinion that it's OK? Or do I say that, at a certain point, there are just things, like paedophilia, murder, rape, theft, etc., that we all know as wrong and not up for debate?

EDIT: To avoid any misunderstanding, I'm specifically challenging the idea that, just because views are different, they should all be entertained as being worthy of debate. There are some things we know as a society to be wrong morally or scientifically, and therefore do not brook any discussion as to their being valid. This is particularly important when you've got right-wingers trying to wedge the door back open on Nazism/neo-Nazism; Nazis are cunts, both in theory and in practice, and they need to be shut down without debate.

I'm not saying that Flat-Earthers are paedos, though they probably are. 

Edited by Carbomb

2 hours ago, Louch said:

You can choose your own opinions, but you can't choose your own facts.

When debating an issue with someone, you have to enter into it on a mutual understanding for it to be productive. By that, I mean you have to agree that

a) There are things that are agreed facts, and

b) if enough significant evidence is produced to contradict your argument, you would concede the point.

Most conspiracy theorists fail on those two basic principles. If a person cannot do those two basic things, it's not worth platforming them IMHO. This doesn't mean you "ignore and dismiss them" - they are free to continue believeing the grass is blue and the sky is green if they like. But responsible news organisations and anyone with a platform does not have an obligation to let them them air their views and indeed, should think twice about whether or not they do so.

48 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I have very different views from NAMBLA. I believe noncing children is wrong. 

Should I entertain their views, because they have the opinion that it's OK? Or do I say that, at a certain point, there are just things, like paedophilia, murder, rape, theft, etc., that we all know as wrong and not up for debate?

EDIT: To avoid any misunderstanding, I'm specifically challenging the idea that, just because views are different, they should all be entertained as being worthy of debate. There are some things we know as a society to be wrong morally or scientifically, and therefore do not brook any discussion as to their being valid. This is particularly important when you've got right-wingers trying to wedge the door back open on Nazism/neo-Nazism; Nazis are cunts, both in theory and in practice, and they need to be shut down without debate.

I'm not saying that Flat-Earthers are paedos, though they probably are. 

My view is we need to talk to people when their views aren’t at the extreme and prevent it getting there, there will be those too far gone to have a discussion with, doesn’t mean every single person is. Just ignoring people leads them to the extreme side and being beyond help.