AEW Video Games

Merzbow

Turns out FTR find out back in March they weren't going to be in the first edition.

https://www.sportsgamersonline.com/games/ftr-on-removal-from-aew-fight-forever/

“The only real issue is we were kind of blindsided by it,” Wheeler said. “We found out like not how you would expect. And when you find out something like that — something major — like being taken out of a video game, your mind automatically assumes the worst.

“So for us, is this something we need to worry about? Should we read between the lines here? Were we not told for a reason? And now that we are aware and now that we are out, what is that reason? Is it something we should worry about. We got an answer. It made a lot of sense; very logical answer. We said, “ok, cool”. As long as we don’t have to worry about it, nonissue.”

Harwood then added: “Like Cash said, we heard about this, I want to say, maybe, March. It was before the Briscoes match. I had someone — one of the journalists — message me and say, “is this true?”. We texted Tony, talked to him. Talked to legal, got our answer and it was a nonissue.”

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Loki said:

Hmm... they're going to have to update that cover, aren't they?

Would have been a good move from the off. The poses used, size scaling, positioning etc. You have a bunch of genuine stars on there and you'd never know it just from looking. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

24 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So is this basically to offset the cost of having to put out as many physical discs to shops?

The game itself might be fine once released and any bugs have been patched, but even then I have visions of this going straight to the bargain bin like TNA’s first game did?

But Kenny Omega is involved and nobody knows video games like he does, or something. 

32 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So is this basically to offset the cost of having to put out as many physical discs to shops?

The game itself might be fine once released and any bugs have been patched, but even then I have visions of this going straight to the bargain bin like TNA’s first game did?

Guaranteed money. More eyeballs and still get their DLC sales which is meant to be how they're keeping the game relevant as they're not doing a new version every year.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I can see it being a rough ride; it's arguably AEW's first big sink or swim moment outside of the wrestling bubble - I've talked on here in the past about how it was Smackdown on the PS1 that got me back into wrestling, and I'm sure there are lapsed fans who don't watch WWE but would still buy the games. On top of that, there's brand recognition in WWE that means it will get decent shelf space in shops, cardboard standees of top stars and whatnot. It's going to be a big test of AEW's market reach to see how much of their audience are prepared to fork out full price for a game, to see if the game is able to expand their audience, and to see if the brand is deemed saleable enough to get any decent coverage out of this. In a lot of ways, CM Punk still being on the cover could help them out more than it hurts them in that regard.

If it had been up to me, I'd have got the Lucha Bros, and maybe Darby Allin on the front cover as well. Aim for characters that look like they belong in a video game, that are somewhat "toyetic" and might draw the eye of people who aren't already AEW fans. If someone walked into a video game shop and saw a cardboard cutout of Pentagon Jr advertising a new game, I imagine that would have a lot more visual appeal than a cutout of Kenny Omega or Jon Moxley.