AEW Video Games

Merzbow

17 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Much the same, it predated my being into wrestling but everyone I knew seemed to have warzone and or attitude "because its wrestling" or "because it WWF" but playing wrestlemania 2000 or revenge was always more fun. 

When I did get into wrestling I picked both warzone and Attitude and the ecw games up cheap. I always loved playing thunder too. 

Off Topic even more but it was still the glory days of FMV, with WCW rants and those Warzone promos. I'm sure everyone has seen them but I miss shit like that. 

WCW Nitro & Thunder had amazing little fmv promos on the character select screen, Kevin Nash and Roddy Piper on Thunder was in particular an highlight.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, theringmaster said:

WCW Nitro & Thunder had amazing little fmv promos on the character select screen, Kevin Nash and Roddy Piper on Thunder was in particular an highlight.

I used to rent WCW Nitro from a video rental store down the road from my house when I was a kid. Used to waste hours studying the instruction manual, trying to remember all the wrestlers’ signatures and finishers.

I didn’t really play Thunder that much as I didn’t own and don’t really remember knowing any one who did. But still have a fondness of those games and its engine, and (saddo alert) currently reverse-engineering Thunder in my spare time. I’ve made a good dent in it, identifying routines like where the models and textures for wrestlers and rings are loaded. Currently trying to work out how and where animations are stored, which should open up the door for amending existing animations or adding entirely new ones.

I have fond memories of Thunder simply because it was the only game on Playstation at that time which had Rumble/ battle Royale mode. It was essentially Nitro with a new color palate. I put a lot of hours into it when it came out but was quickly relegated when the supiorer wwe games came out.

Back to AEW, I seem to remember rumours of them using 'Legends' where they would simply take well known wwe/wcw Legends and get copyright  for their earlier gimmicks. I seem to remember Dusty Rhodes in particular was mooted. Anything new been said about that?

• Paid Members
On 11/10/2022 at 7:32 AM, theringmaster said:

Should you wish to relive the experience. 

Edited by mim731

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, theringmaster said:

Back to AEW, I seem to remember rumours of them using 'Legends' where they would simply take well known wwe/wcw Legends and get copyright  for their earlier gimmicks. I seem to remember Dusty Rhodes in particular was mooted. Anything new been said about that?

I don't think I've seen anything as cynical as that; though I imagine there will be "Legends" in some capacity, given that Owen Hart and Brodie Lee are in the game. I wonder if part of the reason WWE went so strongly after Bret with a merchandising/licensing deal is to prevent AEW from putting him in this game.

They could easily pad that out with Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Taz, Mark Henry, and Jake Roberts as playable characters, on top of Sting, Billy Gunn, Paul Wight and Dustin Rhodes as recognisable names that could be given alternate attires to look like their younger selves/older gimmicks. Assuming they haven't made the cut for release, there's always the Hardys, William Regal and Jeff Jarrett to be added as DLC later down the line too. Brian Pillman is maybe a possibility, too.

One of the things that was good fun about AEW early on was "legends" showing up that weren't part of the same tired old parade of old-timers that the WWE have trotted out for years, and it would be fun to see that reflected in the game, if they are going down the route of having "Legends". In terms of people who have actually shown up in AEW - Great Muta/Keiji Mutoh, Aja Kong, The Rock N Roll Express, Gangrel, Baron Von Raschke, would all be outside the box choices.

• Paid Members

You could add Jerry Lynn to that list too.

In reality they could go after a bunch of really interesting US and international legends and put them in the game. I'd be happy if they just ripped them off and gave them different names like in WCW vs nWo: World Tour. Bring back the DOA and Independent Union rosters, I say. I'd love to be able to play as Great Sasuke rip off Black Ninja one more time.

Edited by LaGoosh

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think I've seen anything as cynical as that; though I imagine there will be "Legends" in some capacity, given that Owen Hart and Brodie Lee are in the game. I wonder if part of the reason WWE went so strongly after Bret with a merchandising/licensing deal is to prevent AEW from putting him in this game.

They could easily pad that out with Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Taz, Mark Henry, and Jake Roberts as playable characters, on top of Sting, Billy Gunn, Paul Wight and Dustin Rhodes as recognisable names that could be given alternate attires to look like their younger selves/older gimmicks. Assuming they haven't made the cut for release, there's always the Hardys, William Regal and Jeff Jarrett to be added as DLC later down the line too. Brian Pillman is maybe a possibility, too.

One of the things that was good fun about AEW early on was "legends" showing up that weren't part of the same tired old parade of old-timers that the WWE have trotted out for years, and it would be fun to see that reflected in the game, if they are going down the route of having "Legends". In terms of people who have actually shown up in AEW - Great Muta/Keiji Mutoh, Aja Kong, The Rock N Roll Express, Gangrel, Baron Von Raschke, would all be outside the box choices.

Didn't the Hurricane turn up the same time as Gangrel? They've also got the likes of Dean Malenko, Chavo Guerrero and DDP who've all been on AEW at some point.

I wonder if they'd do a celebrity section so we could get Jack Whitehall v Mike Tyson in a match.

• Paid Members
On 11/9/2022 at 1:54 PM, Tommy! said:

When I did get into wrestling I picked both warzone and Attitude and the ecw games up cheap. I always loved playing thunder too

Scrap that, I had thunder but it was Mayhem I loved. 

1 hour ago, JimmyAnderson said:

I wonder if they'd do a celebrity section so we could get Jack Whitehall v Mike Tyson in a match.

Did Tyson show TK his texts? Surprised the judge never asked to see them.