AEW Video Games

Merzbow

Now that they've reassured everyone the game exists and will be out this decade, they should probably hold off on showing more gameplay until it's about ready for release. The Internet has a habit of ignoring disclaimers about a game being still in development and forming lasting impressions from work-in-progress footage, which can haunt the final product no matter how much smoother or more polished it is.

So apparently THQ Nordic/Yukes have reused a bunch of old animations from the previous WWE games for this. Responses have ranged from absolute outrage to people saying that Adam Cole did motion capture how both, and just so happened to move exactly the same on both occasions “because he’s a professional”

I honestly couldn’t care less and I imagine that it probably happens all the time when a developer takes on a new IP, but it’ll be good to see the ones who’ve ripped on WWE’s games for years talk about how amazing and fresh and not like the WWE games it is when it’s released. Even that Match graphic in the video that @Hannibal Scorchposted looks like it’s directly out of one of the more recent WWE games

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I think this looks pretty good.  I like the chunky art feel, and the animations are snappy and reactive.

I absolutely LOATHE doing preview videos/demos because there's always stuff you are leaving till the end to fix, or in my case temp audio, that ends up out there and people form an impression based on it. This looks fairly finished but without a final mix I suspect. 

As long as they underpromise and overdeliver they should be fine. I know it's early days but the drops have been quite humble so far so hopefully the rest of the pre launch continues in the same fashion. 

I think most level headed people at this stage would be quite happy to just have fun, nostalgic gameplay, the usual creation suite and a decent roster to mess around with. It's a bit like eFootball. It's a broken mess now but all people want is a decent set of teams, a master league and solid gameplay so they have an alternative to paying for Fifa every year. 

Stick to the basics. 

• Awards Moderator
47 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Isn't the game just going to get DLC for a while. Rather than a new game every year?

With the amount of new wrestlers turning up in AEW on a fairly continuous basis, you'd have to think so. Then again, SmackDown 1 was nearly a year out of date when it came out and that didn't make it a worse game.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I've definitely come around to it a lot more now that the gameplay looks less jerky, still gutted that there's no Acclaimed in there as Max confirmed he's not in the game.

That's especially weird, because they've confirmed that Max has done music for the game. 

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

With the amount of new wrestlers turning up in AEW on a fairly continuous basis, you'd have to think so. Then again, SmackDown 1 was nearly a year out of date when it came out and that didn't make it a worse game.

It's something I don't notice  anymore since rosters and years just blend together, but WWE games used to always be a reliable snapshot of the year before the game was released. Warzone was 1997, Attitude was 1998 etc. 

I distinctly remember Smackdown coming out in 2000 but essentially being WWF 1999. Gangrel, Mr. Ass, Al Snow, Jeff Hardy with straw blonde hair still etc. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

It's something I don't notice  anymore since rosters and years just blend together, but WWE games used to always be a reliable snapshot of the year before the game was released. Warzone was 1997, Attitude was 1998 etc. 

I distinctly remember Smackdown coming out in 2000 but essentially being WWF 1999. Gangrel, Mr. Ass, Al Snow, Jeff Hardy with straw blonde hair still etc. 

Timelines of wrestling video games always intrigued me. Looking at the roster and trying to see when the cut-off point was, etc.

One thing I never understood was, the timelines of WCW vs. The World and WCW Nitro. The former has the crow Sting in the game and on the cover, and nWo Hollywood Hogan, but no Outsiders. But then Nitro has what looks like a really early “crow” Sting in the rant video where he has the really early face paint, and plain black tights instead of his singlet. I just never understood that when you’d think development of Nitro would have started after WCW vs. The World.

2 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

One thing I never understood was, the timelines of WCW vs. The World and WCW Nitro. The former has the crow Sting in the game and on the cover, and nWo Hollywood Hogan, but no Outsiders.

I guess if the nWo angle kicked off well into the game's development, then with Hogan and Sting they just had to slightly re-skin the models they'd perhaps already created for them, but Hall and Nash would've required entirely new models and potentially new animations.