AEW Video Games

Merzbow

Looks like they will be taking their time with the game which can only be a good thing. The Shida model looked great, the Kenny one not so much but I trust that they will work all the creases out and give us something really good. 

Genuinely surprised not to see Brandon Cutler out there in his Steve Jobs outfit announcing a board game. AEW could probably make some money on a AEW themed D&D type game 

I’m not sure how I feel about Yukes developing this. They have a shit load of experience which bodes well for the overall quality of the game but then again I was bored of the Yukes formula well over a decade ago.

If this is the same old Yukes I might just give it a pass despite being a massive AEW fan. Here’s hoping they start thinking out of the box on this one.

• Paid Members

$hill: If you're excited about the announcement, you should get issue 7 of my 'zine, with a deep, deep dive into the history of the AKI engine used on No Mercy and others... http://wrestlingcanbeanything.bigcartel.com

Non-$hill: I haven't bought a wrestling game since No Mercy and this might be the one to bring me back in. If only they could back-engineer it for the N64...

Edited by Linus

• Paid Members

This looks pretty smart and looks a lot better than the recent 2K games, however, I got bored of wrestling games around 10 years ago and haven't picked one up since outside of the odd demo. I will definitely check this out to see if it is any different to the others, I just don't know how you can make things any different. Similarly to the FIFA games, they're just retreads yearly usually. 

Made me chuckle that Shida was prominent in the trailer, but the women's division doesn't get much of a look in on Dynamite. You can tell Kenny is the leading force in the AEW Games brand. 

• Paid Members

I'm very happy with the initial look at the main game, the cartoony graphics are exactly the direction I was hoping they would go with it, it should look bright and brilliant and by avoiding attempts at photo realistic models they dodge the 'uncanny valley' problem that I find takes me out of so many modern games.

Looks as I expected which is no bad thing. You can see the body templates are hi res versions of the Thick and Muscular body types in No Mercy, and even Shida's default stance is the stock one for all the WWF Divas. Of course Kenny's given himself the Ric Flair 2K20 treatment in the build department. I'm really encouraged by his point in interviews that they're going to be relying on animation more than mo-cap. The game (if those graphics are close to in-game) looks much more snug than the floaty Stretch Armstrongs of the last 10 years of WWE games.

I hope the engine isn't a straight port of No Mercy, but at the same time I hope they keep it as simple as possible. The big hook for me is going to be creation modes (whether your CAW looks like he fits with the rest of the roster, and how quickly you can throw together a decent character) and the special match types. Obviously there's the Y2J specials of Stadium Stampede and Mimosa Mayhem, but it'd be great to get a dog collar match in there, as well as the white whale that is War Games.

Not fussed about AEW Championship Manager, just not my thing. But it's really good to see they've laid their stall out with multiple markets and game types.

I think the main game back and forth looked really smooth and much more like a real/indy sort of match than the wwe games we have now with the more cartoony/sports entertainment based wrestling. 

I really hope they will be putting GM mode in the console video game and this dosen't end up just like the TNA game ended up being (remember that!!...remember aj and co doing press saying how it would be like virtual pro wrestling and no mercy ext) I just really hope we don't get a repeat of that TNA game where we were promised the world but it had next to no content at all and no real in depth story mode ect

18 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I think the main game back and forth looked really smooth and much more like a real/indy sort of match than the wwe games we have now with the more cartoony/sports entertainment based wrestling.

The first point is why I'm wary of how close this actually is to gameplay - you can make things look as smooth as you like in a sizzle reel, but the balance in play between making the trigger points clear and making them frustratingly small just so the replay looks good is key. It's one thing feeling the satisfaction of timing your reversal well, and another getting spammed with reversals by Peter Avalon for the third match in a row.

The last point, careful. If every match is a 25 minute Fire Pro slog, regardless of character, it'll be binned off. Rose tints on, but No Mercy did feel like it got the balance right being able to have longer methodical battles as well as blitzkrieg sprints. If I pick Luchasaurus, I don't want to have to cycle up through generic punches 4 to 37, to up my hit probability to a satisfactory percentage just so I can finally hit a Tail Whip. Absolutely nothing wrong with cartoony as long as it fits with the vibe and aesthetic of the gameplay. Cartoony is what made the Clothesline from Hell in No Mercy so funny!