AEW Video Games

Merzbow

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Maybe it's rose tinted specs but it doesn't even look as nice as All Stars, that game was definitely a case of art style over graphical fidelity though.

Those specs are perfectly clear, All Stars was a gem of a game and if Fight Forever rips it off I’d be thrilled.

I thought it looked perfectly fine and personally for me I'm not as concerned or interested in amazing graphics as I am enjoyable gameplay.

For me the WWE 2K games just aren't enjoyable to play.

If this is and has a few different match types and a roster offering a lot of alternatives to WWE then I'll be very happy.

It looks like what I wanted, an homage to the Aki games. Even the stuff that some people have whinged about, like Molotov Cocktails, I've just taken as an homage to Def Jam: Fight for New York.

If I wanted play an AEW skinned 2K game, I could get 2K22 for less than £25 with the season pass and go ham on community content but I don't want that.

• Paid Members

I've waited forever for a wrestling game as enjoyable to play as those N64 Aki/THQ games. The reason I was excited about this game from the first announcement is because it was labelled as being a spiritual successor to those games. When I complain about the graphics it's not because super realistic graphics is what I want from the game, it's because I just just can't get on with games that look like they're aiming for that, but falling well short. Give me cartoony / stylised character models over bad waxwork looking things every time.

For the record, I'm with @HarmonicGenerator with the opinion that WWE Allstars remains the best wrestling game made since the N64 heyday. I'm still sad we never got a second one. 

I could never get on board with overly cartoonish wrestling games. It's seemed for years now as the mainline entries have gotten more and more dull and realistic the alternative every few years was to go the other end of the scale entirely. I just want a middle ground. The wrestlers and the arenas to look like they do on TV, but perhaps move a little quicker/ring be a little smaller and for it to play like...I don't know...Tekken 3 with headlocks. Everyone has four grapples, four strikes, their finisher, and one of the shoulder buttons is for interacting with shit. 

If the AEW game does that I'll be happy. Even though with some of the vacant facial animations and audio-in-a-tin-can commentary and ring announcing there's signs it's going to present like one of those weird golf or pool games you get for a buck or two. 

The gameplay will obviously be key, but after being so long in development, I did hope to see something which looked better than a mobile game. The featureless canvas and ramp bang in the middle of the screen means everything looks grey, blocky and static, and the rubberised bodies with dead-eyed heads look unsettling.

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I could never get on board with overly cartoonish wrestling games. It's seemed for years now as the mainline entries have gotten more and more dull and realistic the alternative every few years was to go the other end of the scale entirely. I just want a middle ground. The wrestlers and the arenas to look like they do on TV, but perhaps move a little quicker/ring be a little smaller and for it to play like...I don't know...Tekken 3 with headlocks. Everyone has four grapples, four strikes, their finisher, and one of the shoulder buttons is for interacting with shit. 

This. I really wish someone would at least try to play with the formula the way All Stars did. I've been waiting years for an arcadey button-masher with a bit of depth, but the studios insist on sticking with simulations. It's the same with any sports game in the past 20 years, IMO. Especially with the mad logic and fighting style that pro wrestling portrays, the lack of imagination is really disappointing.

Give me Power Stone 2 with grapples!

There's a post on Reddit doing the rounds of someone's mate putting out display cases of it. That gets seen with games weeks or months ahead, granted, but given it's only been delayed due to the rating on it I wonder is a shadow drop right around the corner. Tony's announcement on this week's Dynamite perhaps? 

From reading the age rating and game modes, looks like the Attitude Era's back on the menu though:

spacer.png

This game seems to mirror how wrestling was before AEW. People just want something different to what is being served up. The WWE games have been gash for years, at least I’m led to believe, and people want an alternative to the monopoly. At least with football you could always choose PES or FIFA but with a wrestling game, you’re fucked.