Paid Members BomberPat Posted January 31, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 31, 2025 (edited) 22 minutes ago, air_raid said: The other day he said to Mrs raid and me (non-breeders) "As a parent, every day your kid isn't brought home by the police is a great day." The silent glances the rest of the parents in the room exchanged were PRICELESS. After I dropped out of university, I got a job at a petrol station, and ended up stuck there for three years. If you're picturing a Tesco garage with a fully stocked shop, think again - this was a real BIG ED'S GAS FARM of a place; two pumps, with analogue displays, and customers weren't allowed to serve themselves, so it was our job to go out and pump petrol for every single customer. Only one person on shift at a time, and with no shop, just the the "office", which was a rickety shack, freezing cold, rotting wooden door, with just enough space for two people so long as you're not both trying to move at once. Horrible place. In hindsight, my manager there was one of the weirdest blokes I've ever known. I got the job because I already knew him - he took over running a local Rock Night from a mate of mine, and for a while I DJ'd for him as well, so worked for him in my day job and the side-hustle. He sounds exactly like the bloke you're talking about - even when he was in his 30s, everything was a "back in my day" story, and he was never without a hundred different complaints, and took ten minutes to explain something to a customer that should take ten seconds. He'd been in this one job for about twenty years, and clearly saw himself as a bit of a man of the world, but knew fuck all about fuck all. Not long after this guy had his first kid, and changed all of our shifts around to accommodate his childcare requirements, there started to be rumours of the place being sold off. One day he was just in a complete mad panic about how he could possibly find another job, because he would have to organise everything around his kid. It took every ounce of restraint I had to stop myself pointing out that literally billions of other parents have managed to figure it out before him, that he's not the first person in the world to be a Dad and have a job at the same time, and that maybe he should ask one of his employees, whose shifts he moved around to better suit him, without checking if it suited their childcare commitments. Just utterly convinced that every experience he ever had, he was the first person to ever experience it. Edited January 31, 2025 by BomberPat Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted February 3, 2025 Paid Members Posted February 3, 2025 This is a proper irrational hatred situation but any connection or login that requires me to open the Google Authenticator and get the 6 digit auth code really winds me up. To the point that I'll second guess how much I really need to access some VPNs because I know I have to find the number. My phone is handy, it's a quick process, even I dunno what my beef with it is but it does genuinely annoy me. Fucking MFA. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted February 3, 2025 Awards Moderator Posted February 3, 2025 2 hours ago, tiger_rick said: This is a proper irrational hatred situation but any connection or login that requires me to open the Google Authenticator and get the 6 digit auth code really winds me up. To the point that I'll second guess how much I really need to access some VPNs because I know I have to find the number. My phone is handy, it's a quick process, even I dunno what my beef with it is but it does genuinely annoy me. Fucking MFA. We have dual authentication at work, but the only time that I have to do the Google Authenticator is when I've accidentally logged out of here and have to go back in again! Quote
RIDDUM_N_STYLE Posted February 4, 2025 Posted February 4, 2025 11 hours ago, tiger_rick said: This is a proper irrational hatred situation but any connection or login that requires me to open the Google Authenticator and get the 6 digit auth code really winds me up. To the point that I'll second guess how much I really need to access some VPNs because I know I have to find the number. My phone is handy, it's a quick process, even I dunno what my beef with it is but it does genuinely annoy me. Fucking MFA. I’m like this occasionally when I’m signed out from my EBay account and have to get signed back in by getting a code texted to me or when I’ve not used iPlayer or Crunchyroll for a while and have to go on the web browser to verify my login Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted February 15, 2025 Paid Members Posted February 15, 2025 (edited) On 2/3/2025 at 12:52 PM, tiger_rick said: Fucking MFA. When I'm World President and after I've solved world peace, hunger, and climate change I would then extend the scope of 2FA and make people use it for every email they send with triple factor authentication for people that moan about it. Edited February 15, 2025 by johnnyboy Quote
Chili Posted February 15, 2025 Posted February 15, 2025 We don't have that mental health thread anymore and I get why, but I'm having one of those extremely annoying days where you wake up and for absolutely no discernible reason, you KNOW it's going to be shit. You can proper just feel it concocting in your brain, and you the more you think about it because you are thinking of nothing else, the more negative you build up yourself for the day. It's like knowing the whole 24 hours ahead or whatever is going to a massive unnecessary fight for self positivity and the big fear is that you won't win. That's my minor annoyance this morning. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted February 15, 2025 Posted February 15, 2025 Just now, Chili said: We don't have that mental health thread anymore and I get why, but I'm having one of those extremely annoying days where you wake up and for absolutely no discernible reason, you KNOW it's going to be shit. You can proper just feel it concocting in your brain, and you the more you think about it because you are thinking of nothing else, the more negative you build up yourself for the day. It's like knowing the whole 24 hours ahead or whatever is going to a massive unnecessary fight for self positivity and the big fear is that you won't win. That's my minor annoyance this morning. Wouldn't consider that to be minor at all! Is it definitely for no reason? While it happens to me a fair bit it usually ends up because I've been pushing myself too much or stuff like that. It's not always an obvious thing that causes it. Quote
Chili Posted February 15, 2025 Posted February 15, 2025 (edited) 5 hours ago, DavidB6937 said: Wouldn't consider that to be minor at all! Is it definitely for no reason? While it happens to me a fair bit it usually ends up because I've been pushing myself too much or stuff like that. It's not always an obvious thing that causes it. *More MH talk, but decided to go for a long walk instead so removed silly head ramblings* Edited February 15, 2025 by Chili Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted February 19, 2025 Members Posted February 19, 2025 Not really an annoyance but I dunno where else to put it. Just seen someone say "Congratulations" to someone for a birthday. That's not right is it? Technically I suppose it is, but it sounds odd. Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted February 19, 2025 Posted February 19, 2025 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: Not really an annoyance but I dunno where else to put it. Just seen someone say "Congratulations" to someone for a birthday. That's not right is it? Technically I suppose it is, but it sounds odd. It sounds fine if they’re 100 years old. “Congratulations on not dying”. But otherwise no, it’s weird. Today I’m annoyed by drivers not stopping at zebra crossings. The urge to break out my best Ratzo Rizzo is powerful. Quote
deathrey Posted February 19, 2025 Posted February 19, 2025 Slightly more than annoying but our fridgefreezer, which isn't even 3 years old yet has broken. It wasn't an expensive fridge so it seems a bit pointless getting a repair person in because once you've paid them and paid for any parts, it'll probably be more than the fridge cost but it's still shit. Luckily, my parents gave me their old fridge ages ago and we have it in the garage, it usually has drinks in it but they've all been lobbed aside and it's now full of all the food we could salvage. The contents on the freezer on the other hand have mainly had to end up in the bin. What a waste of food. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted February 19, 2025 Paid Members Posted February 19, 2025 Having a very similar situation here, but it's our oven that's knackered and it's been two years. Luckily the hobs are separate and we've got an air fryer, so it's not urgent. Still annoying though as I was getting into baking the last few weeks. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted February 19, 2025 Paid Members Posted February 19, 2025 (edited) We go through Washing Machines like you wouldn't believe. Don't want to sound like my Nana but nothing is made to last these days. All unrepairable or genuinely costs more to fix than to replace. I like watching people repair stuff on YouTube. Really satisfying to see stuff saved from the tip but the difference in stuff made 30-50 years ago and the crap made now is unbelievable. They even make it impossible to open stuff without completely knackering it in most cases. Edited February 19, 2025 by tiger_rick Quote
Paid Members JLM Posted February 19, 2025 Paid Members Posted February 19, 2025 (edited) 3 hours ago, SuperBacon said: Not really an annoyance but I dunno where else to put it. Just seen someone say "Congratulations" to someone for a birthday. That's not right is it? Technically I suppose it is, but it sounds odd. Perhaps they set up a series of fiendish traps and “accidents” to play out over the course of each year for this person and they’re impressed they’ve made it through another round. Edited February 19, 2025 by JLM Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.