Paid Members FLips Posted February 25, 2025 Paid Members Posted February 25, 2025 (edited) 5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: Does anyone enjoy the songs in Lord of the Rings? After having never finished the books when I tried to read them years ago for finding them too boring I'm quite enjoying Andy Serkis's reading of them on audible. But the fucking songs... Jesus. Skipping is too much hassle so I tend to put them on 3x speed. But they're so unnecessary. OOOOOOLD TOM BOMBADIL, TOM BOMBADILLOOOOO. It made me tap out on the audiobooks after I had him singing that for what must have been three straight chapters. A shame because they were fantastic otherwise. On the subject of phonecalls I don't mind them depending on who I'm speaking to. People are so scared of them now though and I don't ever remember it being a thing when everyone had landlines. They're so uncommon now though that when I ring certain people, e.g my Brother, my Wife or my Mum they always answer "hey what's wrong?" and the answer is always nothing, stop panicking at a phonecall please. Edited February 25, 2025 by FLips Quote
King Mal the Glorious Posted February 25, 2025 Posted February 25, 2025 I generally have no issue with songs in Tolkien's work. Tom Bombadil can fuck off though, just skip those chapters. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted February 25, 2025 Moderators Posted February 25, 2025 6 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said: I generally have no issue with songs in Tolkien's work But do you enjoy them? And do you think the books would be worse without them? Also for the non phone people how do you speak to your grandparents? Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted February 25, 2025 Paid Members Posted February 25, 2025 25 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: But do you enjoy them? And do you think the books would be worse without them? Also for the non phone people how do you speak to your grandparents? Séance Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted February 25, 2025 Paid Members Posted February 25, 2025 1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said: Me and my wife have been together 12 years this year and we’ve never spoken on the phone to each other. Mrs raid and I regularly speak on the phone. By which I mean, one waits outside the shop with the dog and the one inside occasionally phones to ask what crisps we want. I know, I know.... that could have been decided in advance. But impulse crisps taste better. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted February 25, 2025 Paid Members Posted February 25, 2025 (edited) 2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said: Also for the non phone people how do you speak to your grandparents? The Star Wars prequels hadn't been released the last time I had a grandparent In some ways it was a blessing that my lovely nan never got to see that shit. Edited February 25, 2025 by johnnyboy Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted February 25, 2025 Members Posted February 25, 2025 39 minutes ago, johnnyboy said: The Star Wars prequels hadn't been released the last time I had a grandparent In some ways it was a blessing that my lovely nan never got to see that shit. My Grandad walked out of The Phantom Menace and exclaimed "Well that Jar Jar Binks was an annoying cunt wasn't he?" *dramatisationmaynothavehappened Quote
Paid Members Ronnie Posted February 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted February 26, 2025 My girls (13 and 14) have been eating the same brand of cat food for their whole lives. (These cats despise Whiskas.) I noticed that the packaging has changed when I last went shopping. No complaints about that; I think the slimline version looks much more elegant than the blockier one. Oh, hold the phone: The box is slimmer because 15% of the contents have been slyly removed. I'm not unaware of the concept of shrinkflation but I think it's a low move to make the victims of it beings dependent on others to serve them who have no way of communicating -- with justification -- that this time they really are hungry. Just increase the price if you want to extend your profit margins, and let people decide whether they want to pay it. (I would; I can't get this pair to eat any other brand!) Minor minor complaints: adding vegetables to this particular recipe, which are worthless fodder to the cats but appeal to their owners. And the silly flash on the side saying that a typical cat needs 3-4 packets a day, so up to nearly five boxes a week each. Mine split one packet in the morning and one in the evening. If I served more they wouldn't bother with it. (They have other bits and pieces besides the packet food; don't worry that I adopt the Purina policy of putting them on rations!) Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted February 26, 2025 Posted February 26, 2025 1 hour ago, Ronnie said: My girls (13 and 14) have been eating the same brand of cat food for their whole lives. (These cats despise Whiskas.) I noticed that the packaging has changed when I last went shopping. No complaints about that; I think the slimline version looks much more elegant than the blockier one. Oh, hold the phone: Every time I go into Home Bargains, they still have stock of the old chunky boxes. Might be worth checking out. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted February 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted February 26, 2025 3 hours ago, Ronnie said: My girls (13 and 14) have been eating the same brand of cat food for their whole lives. (These cats despise Whiskas.) I noticed that the packaging has changed when I last went shopping. No complaints about that; I think the slimline version looks much more elegant than the blockier one. Oh, hold the phone: The box is slimmer because 15% of the contents have been slyly removed. I'm not unaware of the concept of shrinkflation but I think it's a low move to make the victims of it beings dependent on others to serve them who have no way of communicating -- with justification -- that this time they really are hungry. Just increase the price if you want to extend your profit margins, and let people decide whether they want to pay it. (I would; I can't get this pair to eat any other brand!) Minor minor complaints: adding vegetables to this particular recipe, which are worthless fodder to the cats but appeal to their owners. And the silly flash on the side saying that a typical cat needs 3-4 packets a day, so up to nearly five boxes a week each. Mine split one packet in the morning and one in the evening. If I served more they wouldn't bother with it. (They have other bits and pieces besides the packet food; don't worry that I adopt the Purina policy of putting them on rations!) That is a piss take. Agree on shrinkflation. It should be in massive fucking letters on the box. I understand that they want to maintain the vague price point, and not charge £8.75 for a bottle of ketchup like some company or other, but they should have to fess up in a big neon sign. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted February 26, 2025 Members Posted February 26, 2025 (edited) For years my cat would only eat Dreamies, refused all other dry and wet food, and was generally being a prick. I even once decanted a load of own brand biscuits into a Dreamies pack as I was convinced she just recognised the packet somehow and she knew I was tricking her and started scraping her paw next to the bowl as if to say "Don't feed me shit mate" It would stress me out so much as Dreamies aren't meant to be their full meal and she's always been tiny, so I'd feel like a bad owner. Recently she's relented as I've made it a proper battle of wills, and also because Dreamies are now as standard £1.30ish a pack and not a quid, so now she will eat iams, some ham (only M&S though ffs) and some tuna, but only because I won* Tl:dr my cat is an absolute nob. *She rules the household and is the queen of all the pets. Even the dogs don't mess with her when they come over. Edit: realise would've been better in pets thread but whatever. It's an annoyance to me. Edited February 26, 2025 by SuperBacon Judi Denchs arsehole is in Cats Quote
DavidB6937 Posted February 27, 2025 Posted February 27, 2025 Nothing being pinned at the top of the section is throwing me off.. Quote
Paid Members hallicks Posted March 3, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 3, 2025 There’s some kind of work going on that’s closed off a public footpath near where I live. It means I have to walk the long way round to the station, adding at least 3 minutes to my commute. It doesn’t seem to appear on the one network map, probably because it’s not next to a road. I’m not overly bothered but I do want to know when it’ll be back to normal. How do I find this out? The council website doesn’t seem to list anything about unauthorised pavement digger-uppers. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 3, 2025 Members Posted March 3, 2025 20 minutes ago, hallicks said: The council website doesn’t seem to list anything about unauthorised pavement digger-uppers Checked the county Council website? Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted March 4, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 4, 2025 dealing with all manner of dickheads at work today, and I think the most irritating complaint is someone telling me that something "doesn't work". Well, it works for absolutely everybody else that's used it today, so maybe entertain the possibility that it's you that's doing it wrong? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.