wordsfromlee Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 I think it stems from reality TV and people on those shows talking on speaker so both sides of the conversation can be heard. Thats the only exposure to talking on the phone a lot of young people have so it's the norm to them. For other people it's mainly because they're thick. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted March 22, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2025 (edited) My parents have moved house and my Dad has completely ripped out the old garden including a fishpond, birdfeeder, flowers beds, little grass area, and replaced the whole lot with Live Laugh Love slabbing and paving. He should be jailed the big div. Edited March 22, 2025 by Lorne Malvo Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted March 28, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 28, 2025 (edited) Ridiculously complicated nonsense. Pair an Xbox controller, push the sync button on the controller and the sync button on the Xbox. Job done. Sync a Virgin Media remote with the set top box... Tried talking my elderly parents through it on the phone. I can't be sure they're nailing the sequence: 1. Hold two buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds until lights flash twice. 2. Press one button 3 times and then another button twice, but make sure you've done it quickly enough after step one or it's start again. 3. Go over to the box. Bonus points if you're making old people have to get on the floor. Hold one button on the box for ten seconds. 4. I hope you didn't leave the remote by the armchair as you need it again. Hold another button on the remote for 7 seconds. 5. Back to the box. Hold a different button on the front panel for 10 seconds. It's like a round on the fucking Krypton Factor. Sync button on the STB and one on the remote too easy for people was it Branson?! Needless to say before I pop round there to give it a whirl myself I'll be swinging by Argos to buy the big button One for All! Edited March 28, 2025 by johnnyboy Quote
CDM Posted March 30, 2025 Posted March 30, 2025 I don't normally do things like this but I sent a complaint to the telegraph. I know nothing will come of it but it made me feel a bit better. They published an article where they basically expected us to feel sorry for this women who had inherited a home that she might have to sell as she might not be able to afford the council tax. However if you can't afford the council tax that probably means you aren't going to rent it out because if you did you would be able to. Given the fact that a lot of people can't afford the basics I thought it was a very insensitive article. I'm not saying we censor the telegraph but I don't think they should be publishing an article like that. Also just so people know I don't read the telegraph it just appeared on my yahoo page Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 30, 2025 Members Posted March 30, 2025 8 minutes ago, CDM said: However if you can't afford the council tax that probably means you aren't going to rent it out because if you did you would be able to. If she rented it out, the tenant would pay the council tax as well. Quote
Tamura Posted March 30, 2025 Posted March 30, 2025 (edited) Speaking as someone who has inherited a flat (or more precisely a quarter of a flat, bloody big families...), council tax can be a real fucker. The flat has been for sale for what seems like an ice age and a half, and once it's been unoccupied for more than twelve months you become liable for twice the normal amount of council tax. This, despite the fact that none of us even live in that council's bailiwick, so we don't even use any of that council's services to start with. Having to pay that as well as council tax in the area I do live makes me think the poll tax might actually have been an improvement, although as a matter of principle I refuse to support anything Thatcher brought in... Edited March 30, 2025 by Tamura Quote
CDM Posted March 30, 2025 Posted March 30, 2025 (edited) 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: If she rented it out, the tenant would pay the council tax as well. Yeah that's what I meant. We're supposed to feel sorry for a women who has inherited a house who wants to just have it as a second home but can't because of the council tax. Like I said the fact that she said she can't afford it suggests to me that's what she wants to do because as you said if she had tennents they would pay the council tax. Meanwhile some people can't afford to eat and heat their home. Edited March 30, 2025 by CDM Quote
CDM Posted March 30, 2025 Posted March 30, 2025 41 minutes ago, Tamura said: Speaking as someone who has inherited a flat (or more precisely a quarter of a flat, bloody big families...), council tax can be a real fucker. The flat has been for sale for what seems like an ice age and a half, and once it's been unoccupied for more than twelve months you become liable for twice the normal amount of council tax. This, despite the fact that none of us even live in that council's bailiwick, so we don't even use any of that council's services to start with. Having to pay that as well as council tax in the area I do live makes me think the poll tax might actually have been an improvement, although as a matter of principle I refuse to support anything Thatcher brought in... Yeah to be fair though mate that's very different from the situation I mentioned. You're not trying to use it as a second home and complaining about the council tax. You want to sell it and its taking a long time that's all. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 6, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2025 Annoyingly dumb questions by the narrator designed to build suspense in true crime shows. ”Could one of Candice’s best friends really have killed her?” … obviously not, ten minutes in and he’s frequently been on camera talking about the situation. I doubt the convicted killer would be a willing talking head for Netflix. ”Could Nikki show up alive and well?” - wouldn’t have thought so love, the shows called “How I Caught My Killer” not “People That Go Missing For A Bit And Really Worry Their Family But Turn Up Just Fine And Eventually It All Blows Over” after all. Though Mrs raid would probably watch PTGMFABARWTFBTUJFAEIABO too, to be fair. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 6, 2025 Members Posted April 6, 2025 Someone at work went on a course recently and learnt about 'Maslows hierarchy of needs' and now mentions it 30 times a week, even when it's not relevant. It's really annoying me. Quote
davertfnewman Posted April 6, 2025 Posted April 6, 2025 Reminds me of the guy who I worked with in an office who announced to everyone that he was an autodidact intellectual, with most of them except for myself not knowing what that meant, meaning it gave him the chance to tell everyone himself. Also, despite having a kid, was quite camp, which led to the moment where he asked "Why does everyone think I'm gay?!", which I was biting my tongue not to answer. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 6, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2025 5 hours ago, SuperBacon said: Someone at work went on a course recently and learnt about 'Maslows hierarchy of needs' and now mentions it 30 times a week, even when it's not relevant. This reminds me of a mate who while studying for his law degree came upon the phrase “the exception that proves the rule” and immediately decided he could use it incorrectly to me every time I pointed out to him that something suggested to “always” be the case, wasn’t. In proper use something like “No parking 8PM-8AM” is illustrating the exception that proves the rule to be that you can otherwise park there at other times. A conversation with this lad would be like “raid, the soup of the day is always Minestrone on Thursdays.” ”No mate, last Thursday it was tomato.” ”Ah, the exception that proves the rule.” …. um, not really. I sure hope he figured that one out before he graduated law school. Quote
Paid Members Callum1993 Posted April 6, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2025 Talking of annoying corporate phrases I’ve been on a load of calls recently where the phrase ‘Let’s not boil the ocean’ has been used. Horrendous. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted April 6, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 6, 2025 I quite like that. Evocative. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 Let’s pop that in everyone’s thought percolator and see if it bubbles up! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.