Paid Members gmoney Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 Truly you can see the power of algorithms when Amazon sends you a notification that you might like to buy some salt and pepper pots - the same ones you bought three weeks ago. Scary how efficient it is. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 Hell of a cynical outlook that they consider that you need new pots so soon after buying those. Capitalism of obsolescence taken to an extreme. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 36 minutes ago, gmoney said: Truly you can see the power of algorithms when Amazon sends you a notification that you might like to buy some salt and pepper pots - the same ones you bought three weeks ago. Scary how efficient it is. I've often found stuff like this reassuring - when people say that big tech knows everything about you, they don't, they know what you spend money on, and then they're not very good at using that data anyway. Buying salt and pepper shakers doesn't mean you're in the market to buy more salt and pepper shakers, it means you want to buy fewer salt and pepper shakers than you did three weeks ago. Amazon is always recommending me stuff I just bought, and my Facebook feed is full of memes from TV shows I've never watched. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 24 minutes ago, BomberPat said: I've often found stuff like this reassuring - when people say that big tech knows everything about you, they don't, they know what you spend money on, and then they're not very good at using that data anyway. Buying salt and pepper shakers doesn't mean you're in the market to buy more salt and pepper shakers, it means you want to buy fewer salt and pepper shakers than you did three weeks ago. Amazon is always recommending me stuff I just bought, and my Facebook feed is full of memes from TV shows I've never watched. I like when I spend a decent amount in Sainsbury's (I know, I know) and the self-checkout spits out a discount voucher that I can use within the next 7 days if I spend £60... the absolute 7 days I'm least inclined to spend another £60 in Sainsbury's. Quote
lanky316 Posted April 7, 2025 Posted April 7, 2025 That's the lucky Nectar voucher. The times when you pick up travel money to prepare for your holiday - usually just a bit for taxis fares from airports and so on - do a bit of shopping, then get your discount voucher for travel money. I'm not sure anyone has gone in, picked up 50 Euros, got their dinner for the evening and then gone "oh okay, I'll go and get another £300 worth to get my discount" now. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 1 hour ago, BomberPat said: and my Facebook feed is full of memes from TV shows I've never watched. I just logged onto Facebook for the first time in a few weeks and the first thing that came up on my feed was one friend I never interact with wishing another friend happy birthday... from the 31st March. Their algorithm/feed/whatever you want to call it has been broken for a long time. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted April 7, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 7, 2025 I have a Facebook account I only use to browse the marketplace for retro stuff, maybe once a week or two. It’s fascinating for me to see what Facebook’s algorithm is like as default. I don’t browse it, doomscroll it, have no friends and don’t use it for really anything. My feed when I do open it is filled to the brim with “meme” pages pushing anti-trans rhetoric, AI images, and random wikipedia copy and paste celebrity biographies. No matter how many times I block the pages and remove them from my feed, more show up in their place. It’s a horrific shithole. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 9, 2025 "Normalcy" I keep hearing on't tellybox. The word is "normality." Are you thick? Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted April 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 9, 2025 It's more of an Americanism I think, so possibly not incorrect. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 9, 2025 15 minutes ago, gmoney said: It's more of an Americanism I think, so possibly not incorrect. That makes it worse. We need to keep the Colonists in check, now more than ever! Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted April 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 9, 2025 2 minutes ago, air_raid said: That makes it worse. We need to keep the Colonists in check, now more than ever! You're darn tootin', buddy. Quote
Paid Members SpiritOfTheForest Posted April 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 9, 2025 Aye normalcy is technically correct - exactly the same meaning as normality, just from American English. As a pointless aside, I once heard the expression "a return to normalcy" and for some reason imagined a book about a recently retired detective moving back to his childhood home, a small coastal village called Normalsea, at which point strange events start to happen. Why? I've no fucking idea, but I immediately think about it every time someone uses the word normalcy. Could be my Magnum Opus. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 9, 2025 32 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said: Aye normalcy is technically correct - exactly the same meaning as normality, just from American English. So, if my previous reply didn't make it clear - incorrect. I place no value on the mangling of the language by a people for whom a "bathroom" doesn't have to contain a bath or shower, or who visit the "restroom" when they're having a piss, not a rest. "Parking garage" for multi-storey car park is another load of bollocks - all fucking garages are intended for parking. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted April 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 9, 2025 5 minutes ago, air_raid said: "Parking garage" for multi-storey car park is another load of bollocks - all fucking garages are intended for parking. Not correct. Garage can also refer to a car mechanic. What's this "fucking garage" you mention, is this a variant? Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 9, 2025 Members Posted April 9, 2025 What do you call it? Garage? What do you call it? Urban? What do you call it? 2 step? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.