deathrey Posted May 1, 2025 Posted May 1, 2025 I don't care what the inventor said, it will always a hard G for me. 'jiff' is a cleaning product Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted May 1, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 1, 2025 3 minutes ago, deathrey said: jiff' is a cleaning product Don't bring Cif into this it's already complicated enough. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted May 1, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 1, 2025 While talking of pronunciations, I can never say David Bowie with the Bow bit having the same sound a bow and arrow, I've always said it to sound like the act of lowering ones head. I KNOW the former is how he said it should be pronounced later in his career, but there's loads of examples of him saying it the other way earlier in his career as well, and I just prefer it. Also my dad knew him a bit in the 60s and he says in the second way. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted May 1, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 1, 2025 5 minutes ago, gmoney said: While talking of pronunciations, I can never say David Bowie with the Bow bit having the same sound a bow and arrow, I've always said it to sound like the act of lowering ones head. I KNOW the former is how he said it should be pronounced later in his career, but there's loads of examples of him saying it the other way earlier in his career as well, and I just prefer it. Also my dad knew him a bit in the 60s and he says in the second way. The thing that threw me was, after years of pronouncing it "bo-ee", I heard that he'd called his son "Zowie" - which made me think that, if he'd decided to give him such a bizarre name, it must rhyme with the surname. Quote
Paid Members hallicks Posted May 1, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 1, 2025 GIF is a hard G regardless of what the inventor says. Otherwise it would be “giraffe-ical interchange format” and not “graphical interchange format”. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted May 1, 2025 Members Posted May 1, 2025 I might start pronouncing my name with other G sound. Call me Jarry. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted May 1, 2025 Moderators Posted May 1, 2025 (edited) 2 hours ago, Carbomb said: The thing that threw me was, after years of pronouncing it "bo-ee", I heard that he'd called his son "Zowie" - which made me think that, if he'd decided to give him such a bizarre name, it must rhyme with the surname. How do you pronounce Zowie? Like a weird way of spelling Zoe or like an exclamation made by a character from Scooby Doo? Edited May 1, 2025 by Chest Rockwell Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted May 1, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 1, 2025 9 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: How do you pronounce Zowie? Like a weird way of spelling Zoe or like an exclamation made by a character from Scooby Doo? See, now you've got me wondering. I'd always assumed it was the latter, partly because, as unconventional as David was, I didn't think he'd give his son an out-and-out girl's name. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted May 1, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 1, 2025 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: I might start pronouncing my name with other G sound. Call me Jarry. A.I. would call you Jaunty Jarnty. Quote
deathrey Posted May 1, 2025 Posted May 1, 2025 33 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: How do you pronounce Zowie? Like a weird way of spelling Zoe or like an exclamation made by a character from Scooby Doo? Like the name Zoe according to the formerly Zowie Bowie (now goes by Duncan) Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted May 1, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 1, 2025 10 minutes ago, deathrey said: now goes by Duncan But you say it as Dooncarn Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted May 1, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 1, 2025 Ah, English. Remember - read rhymes with lead, and read rhymes with lead, but read doesn't rhyme with lead, and read doesn't rhyme with lead. 1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said: How do you pronounce Zowie? To rhyme with Bowie. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted May 1, 2025 Members Posted May 1, 2025 It's pronounced scone, not scone by the way. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted May 1, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 1, 2025 My favourite one is "Though the rough cough and the hiccough plough me through, I ought to cross the lough". Quote
Just Some Guy Posted May 1, 2025 Posted May 1, 2025 1 hour ago, air_raid said: To rhyme with Bowie. Zooey Booey then. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.