Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted April 21, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 21, 2025 4 hours ago, davertfnewman said: Glad someone else posted something so I can share another current annoyance without it being a double post. Facebook and Instagram stories and short clips. For some reason, even though it's not something I would ever look up, I'm getting videos of people missing part of their cranium or with a nose reattached to their face because of it being bitten off by a dog or just some people who look like they should be part of the Jim Rose Circus. Really unsettling stuff and not what you want to see. I end up hiding everything to avoid them being presented again. Because that's what the algorithm thinks you want to see, and you must have watched something like that once. I have an android phone and Google obviously targets you with ads for stuff you look at. I spend at least 5 minutes each day googling new personal helicopters and accessories to buy just to trick them, as I don't even like flying in a plane, let alone a fucking helicopter. Quote
davertfnewman Posted April 21, 2025 Posted April 21, 2025 I'll admit to watching funny dog videos, people industrial cleaning old carpets so they go from black to gold, and those mini homes where every room is fit into a space the size of a garage, but never would look up the people with half their head missing of an evening! Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 22, 2025 Members Posted April 22, 2025 Things auto-playing. Incredibly irritating, especially on streaming services. Yes I know I can turn it off. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 26, 2025 Getting really fed up of a few of the 20-something TikTokkers in my office whining about not being “appreciated” for what they contribute. What they contribute is nothing more than performing competently in what the job entails, and doing the bare minimum to scrape by the demands of their KPI. Meanwhile, spending spending more time in the morning planning their lunchtime Uber Eats (about 3 a week) than listening to the days agenda, nipping out for three bonus breaks a day to vape, and whenever Mrs raid isn’t looking at their screens, watching Netflix or working on their “side hustles” which include minor level influencing for free stuff, reselling charity shop buys on Vinted, freelance graphic design, trying to get their band off the ground and selling nudes. And that’s just two people I’m talking about. We’re talking about actual adults turning up and half arsing their entry level job and doing the absolute least work possible without getting a warning, and complaining they aren’t getting enough of a pat on the head from middle or senior management. Is that how you think the world works, children? You’re here to get your rent paid, not for a cuddle. Welcome to capitalism, it’s still here. If you want to be made to feel special, you have to BE special. There’s a hundred people popping in with CVs every week that would gladly take your salary and work harder for it, probably not while simultaneously declaring they don’t care about the job but moaning they don’t feel the company recognises them. This lot haven’t got a fucking clue, in my 25 years in the workforce I’ve done both piecerate in a packing factory and five years in a ruthless sales driven industry where you could do brilliantly for months on end then get made to feel worthless because of one bad day, before landing on my current employer. Who, I should stress, are not shy about rewarding performance. Mrs raid and I have received five promotions between us in the last 9 years, all without any gratuitous brown-nosing or unpaid work (I think I’ve stayed late twice to get something done in near to 10 years in my current team), plus I was the most recent Employee of the Year for smashing target while recognised by every other part of the business for doing everything within process, with diligence, respect and professionalism. I’ve consistently maxed out my bonus structure for my contribution to the company through just turning up and getting on with it and been recognised by my peers without having to beg for attention, as these kids seem insistent on. Apologies if I’m coming across a bit “Papa H lashing out at wrestlers eyeing up AEW because TK would coddle them” and maybe I do sound a bit indoctrinated, but ultimately I get paid well and recognised for actually doing something worth appreciating, not sitting on my arse feeling entitled to a round of applause for mediocrity. raid OUT Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted April 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 26, 2025 1 hour ago, air_raid said: Getting really fed up of a few of the 20-something TikTokkers in my office whining about not being “appreciated” for what they contribute. Hit them with something like this next time they start whining: Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted April 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 26, 2025 As someone workign in a management role now, and living with a 20-something taking their first steps into real work it's mostly just given me a deep sympathy for anyone who was my manager when I was like that. I'm not seeing much difference from when I was starting out and constantly complaining about how I was treated at Morrisons, generally being a pain in the arse while I thought the sun shone out of mine, and then being angry when I didn't get given opportunities to progress. It just took me some experience to learn those lessons and understand the kind of behaviours and temperament required to be mature in my work environment. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted April 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 26, 2025 I think it’s hard for young people to be enthusiastic about work now though, especially unrewarding dross like retail and office work. My Mum raised two kids on her own doing part time work at the Co-op when we were growing up, paid beans for rent for a secure council house which she eventually got given a massive discount to buy. We never went without, had holidays abroad to Greece, Spain, Florida. We were considered not particularly well off at all. You can have two adults working full time with no kids now and struggle to get by month to month. All the houses are privately owned so you never feel secure renting, but saving for a mortgage is nearly impossible. Bullshit jobs you used to be able to walk into now require a masters degree, and getting one of them or any sort of degree leaves you in lifetime debt. The world is falling apart, why would anyone turn up to a low level admin job or retail job and feel like putting in any effort is worth it, when actually you sadly can be better off and make a better living acting like a knob for TikTok. All it takes is maybe one viral hit and for better or worse you’d be rewarded more than a lifetime of tapping a keyboard or stacking shelves. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 26, 2025 4 hours ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said: Selling nudes you say? Absolutely. Worn clothing too. Do you like bears, I can DM you his details? Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 26, 2025 Members Posted April 26, 2025 Wand to The National Lottery: Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted April 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 26, 2025 Too right. If they just put the subject of the original email as ‘You’ve won £2.70’ all the unnecessary hope raising would be avoided. Quote
Paid Members Wretch Posted April 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 26, 2025 (edited) As we’re on the topic of the lottery. This came through the post this morning . . . Will have to wait until next Sat to find out what our winnings are. Edited April 26, 2025 by Wretch Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted April 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 26, 2025 (edited) The only time I won the Postcode Lottery the prize turned out to be a bicycle pump. I don't even own a bicycle. Edited April 26, 2025 by LaGoosh Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted April 28, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 28, 2025 Litter. Probably not a minor annoyance. I'm not being all preachy, because I was a young daft bastard once who'd throw chewy on the floor and put crisp packets in hedges. But it really winds me up. I walk a lot and the amount of discarded cans and bottles is so annoying. I'm such an old man that I've taken to picking them up and putting them in bins. I used to just do that for the bit outside of our house but now if I'm walking, I'll pick up "clean" rubbish and throw it away. I'm going to end up as one of those litter volunteers, the Litterati, or whatever they're called in your area! One thing I've never done and will never understand is these pricks who just launch their Maccies rubbish out of the car window. Who on earth thinks that's acceptable? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.