WyattSheepMask Posted April 30, 2025 Posted April 30, 2025 (edited) I don’t know if this falls (ugh) Content Creation or Journalism, but this annoyed me good and proper yesterday. The post itself doesn’t annoy me, it’s the pictures. I get that news moved quick and you need to get stuff out there quickly, but BTTF2 literally has an entire Act of the film in which Biff is a parody of Donald Trump, why the fuck have they not used a picture from that part of the film? Slackers Edited April 30, 2025 by WyattSheepMask Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted April 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 30, 2025 I would also argue that describing a financially conservative* former head of investment banking as 'Mr. Rodgers' makes no sense at all. *not Gus Mears. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted April 30, 2025 Moderators Posted April 30, 2025 Initialisms or acronyms where the pronunciation of a letter in the abbreviation is not the same as the sound the letter makes when pronouncing the word. Any abbreviation with K in is a common culprit. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted April 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 30, 2025 5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: Initialisms or acronyms where the pronunciation of a letter in the abbreviation is not the same as the sound the letter makes when pronouncing the word. Any abbreviation with K in is a common culprit. Which ones with K? The only one I can think of at the moment is "Latinx". Quote
deathrey Posted April 30, 2025 Posted April 30, 2025 (edited) 24 minutes ago, Carbomb said: Which ones with K? The only one I can think of at the moment is "Latinx". Wait, so it's not pronounced Latin-ex? I've never heard anyone say it out loud, only ever seen it written down Edited April 30, 2025 by deathrey Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted April 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 30, 2025 7 minutes ago, deathrey said: Wait, so it's not pronounced Latin-ex? I've never heard anyone say it out loud, only ever seen it written down I thought it was pronounced "Latin-ex" - I thought that was what he was referring to. Because if it was pronounced as the letter's supposed to sound, it would be "Latinks", no? Unless I've misunderstood (which is more than likely). Quote
deathrey Posted April 30, 2025 Posted April 30, 2025 Erm I don't know to be honest, Latinx is not really an acronym. @Chest Rockwell may need to give us an example. And can someone confirm how you pronounce Latinx Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted April 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 30, 2025 2 minutes ago, deathrey said: Erm I don't know to be honest, Latinx is not really an acronym. @Chest Rockwell may need to give us an example. And can someone confirm how you pronounce Latinx That's true - I just couldn't think of anything else! Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted April 30, 2025 Moderators Posted April 30, 2025 For example lmk for let me know would be el em kay if sounded out, but the word Know has an 'n' sound. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 30, 2025 Members Posted April 30, 2025 All this abbreviation reminds me of something I saw that tickled me yesterday. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 30, 2025 32 minutes ago, deathrey said: lmk how you pronounce Latinx Fixed. (Latinex.) Quote
wordsfromlee Posted April 30, 2025 Posted April 30, 2025 6 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said: I don’t know if this falls (ugh) Content Creation or Journalism, but this annoyed me good and proper yesterday. The post itself doesn’t annoy me, it’s the pictures. I get that news moved quick and you need to get stuff out there quickly, but BTTF2 literally has an entire Act of the film in which Biff is a parody of Donald Trump, why the fuck have they not used a picture from that part of the film? Slackers That's not even Biff. It's his grandson Griff. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted May 1, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 1, 2025 18 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said: Initialisms or acronyms where the pronunciation of a letter in the abbreviation is not the same as the sound the letter makes when pronouncing the word. Any abbreviation with K in is a common culprit. It's a gif waving hi. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted May 1, 2025 Members Posted May 1, 2025 A gif is said with a hard G as in gimp* not a soft one as in giraffe isn't it? *genuinely the first word that came to mind. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted May 1, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 1, 2025 (edited) 33 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: A gif is said with a hard G as in gimp* not a soft one as in giraffe isn't it? *genuinely the first word that came to mind. There was a big arena brawl all over the internet about this, following the format's inventor saying that it is pronounced "jiff". It's the nature of English that an argument could be made for either, whether you use "gift" or "gibberish". Edited May 1, 2025 by Carbomb Hernan Crespo Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.