Members SuperBacon Posted May 14, 2025 Members Posted May 14, 2025 Happy birthday though @deathrey Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted May 15, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 15, 2025 Those "Fandom" Wikis that pop up when you google something you have a mild curiosity about that look like they're going to contain a treasure trove of info, but in fact completely useless. I never remember they're crap and always think "oh shit, there's a whole wiki about this? I'm in for a treat!" then they will be like: "Butterball is a cenobite in the Hellraiser series. Played by: Trivia: Please help us by filling out this Wiki" Quote
davertfnewman Posted May 15, 2025 Posted May 15, 2025 28 minutes ago, gmoney said: Those "Fandom" Wikis that pop up when you google something you have a mild curiosity about that look like they're going to contain a treasure trove of info, but in fact completely useless. I never remember they're crap and always think "oh shit, there's a whole wiki about this? I'm in for a treat!" then they will be like: "Butterball is a cenobite in the Hellraiser series. Played by: Trivia: Please help us by filling out this Wiki" Jesus wept(!). Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted May 15, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 15, 2025 40 minutes ago, gmoney said: Those "Fandom" Wikis I hate these with a passion. Fandom is an awful company, most recently in a huge spat with GiantBomb (which they bought and mismanaged) to the point that GiantBomb has been spun off and is now owned by (some of?)its employees. Its core property is squatting on fandom efforts to monetise them and because of its ubiquitousness is able to mostly squeeze out more genuine fan-owned efforts (which are as a result harder to find, or even get started since people just land at Fandom to begin with). I'm not much of a Transformers guy, but I know that comes up a lot between TFWiki (fan run, increidbly detailed & accurate) vs the Fandom Transformers Wiki which does a lot to try to pull users away but is significantly worse. Fandom & Discord are two things that have been hugely detrimental to fan communities on the internet as a whole. Quote
davertfnewman Posted May 15, 2025 Posted May 15, 2025 TFWiki is one of the best wikis you'll ever get. Doesn't go over the top, but it generally always has the info and answers you need. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted May 16, 2025 Moderators Posted May 16, 2025 16 hours ago, Jesse said: Fandom & Discord are two things that have been hugely detrimental to fan communities on the internet as a whole. What's the scoop on the detrimental nature of discord? I don't really use it for communities, just for chats with mates when we're gaming online. Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted May 16, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 16, 2025 As a platform they're fine - but they effectively killed forums/infosites for gaming communities. Instead everything is a Discord which you have to join to see any info, is poorly searchable, and leads to more insular communities. Discord as a company are fine (they keep making annoying changes to try to become more profitable) but I feel the cultural effect of it has been really damaging to fandom in general Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted May 20, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 20, 2025 My phone has been randomly vibrating and flickering for the last few weeks. I've tried updating stuff, uninstalling, etc, etc. Finally gave up and did a factory reset. What a nightmare. Took me an age to get into my google account because MFA kept trying to make me do it via the phone I'd just wiped. My apps haven't restored so I'm having to try and remember what I use regularly and then when I do, I have to log in, and I've forgotten half my passwords. A real first world problem, I appreciate, but I've lost an afternoon to it already. I thought Google took care of this shit. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted May 20, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 20, 2025 1 hour ago, tiger_rick said: My phone has been randomly vibrating and flickering for the last few weeks. I' Do you have a Samsung Tiggs? I had the same thing for about a week? Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted May 20, 2025 Posted May 20, 2025 Can you not restore from cloud storage Rick? Or has that all gone after doing a factory reset? Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted May 21, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 21, 2025 14 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said: Do you have a Samsung Tiggs? I had the same thing for about a week? Yes, S20. And the worst thing is after half a day of pain, the random vibrating is still happening. The last thing I installed is Google Fit so I'm gonna try and bin that. 14 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said: Can you not restore from cloud storage Rick? Or has that all gone after doing a factory reset? I thought it was backed up but apparently not. WhatsApp, contacts and media was but not the apps and stuff. Nightmare. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted May 21, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 21, 2025 long shot, especially after a factory reset and how long it's been happening, but are you connected to anything on Bluetooth? I had my phone randomly vibrating every few seconds, and it turned out to be it telling me that a bluetooth speaker was low on battery. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted May 21, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 21, 2025 20 minutes ago, tiger_rick said: Yes, S20. And the worst thing is after half a day of pain, the random vibrating is still happening. The last thing I installed is Google Fit so I'm gonna try and bin that. I've got an S10 and it did it for about a week then seems to have stopped. It felt like the flash and buzz of a screenshot but it wasn't taking any. It does seem to have stopped now. I don't know if Google Fit is the problem, when I tried to install it a message came up on the screen that said "I don't think so son" and it refused to install. Bloody AI has learnt all about me already. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted May 22, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 22, 2025 I think I've got to the bottom of this. I think it's my phone case. I have one of those wallet ones. When I open it and the magnet/metal bit in the case is underneath the phone, it vibrates. Can't believe I've been through two days of hell for that! Quote
Dr. Alan Grant Posted May 22, 2025 Posted May 22, 2025 AI slop videos have invaded one of my WhatsApp groups. Followed inevitably by “????”. If someone posts a “what you’d look like as an action figure” photo, I may have to leave and find new friends. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.