Paid Members air_raid Posted May 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 30, 2025 My latest minor annoyance is not the thing itself, but rather my own brain for noticing it. There are several shows in multiple genres - true crime, relationship reality - where whenever they shift to another US location, they insist on showing the town's water tower by means of introducing where they are. For a while I couldn't stop myself muttering "Water tower.." every time one appeared, but I've managed to stop because I've got no desire for Mrs raid to smother me in my sleep. Although at least then she'd be able to watch herself on a true crime show. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted May 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 30, 2025 Fantastic observation. Quote
Paid Members Scratch Posted May 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 30, 2025 “Can I get…?” is one of my biggest petty annoyances in bars, restaurants or pretty much anywhere that serves food or drink. But having spent the past 6 days in the company of several otherwise fine American people, I had no idea how unprepared I was for “Can I do…?” You’re asking for a beer, how do you “do” a beer? It’s been slowly boiling my piss all week. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted May 30, 2025 Members Posted May 30, 2025 8 minutes ago, Scratch said: Can I do…?” Yeah, this is absolute bullshit. That nation needs stopping. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted May 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 30, 2025 I've never heard that, I must admit. I can only imagine how irritating it is. One thing that didn't occur to me until recently is how oddly middle-class it sounds to say "C'mon, let's see if we can't get a coffee/drink somewhere", and I'm wondering what the mindset was of the person who came up with that particular phrasing. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted May 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 30, 2025 I’ve never heard “can I do” but plenty of “I’m gonna do the salmon” when socialites are ordering in fancy restaurants. Wish I could wean Mrs raid off Discovery +…. Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted May 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 30, 2025 (edited) A minor irritation that’s been bubbling up for me. We have a WhatsApp group chat for our Close. Often people will try to get rid of an item or food for free or ask if anyone has a certain thing they can borrow. The same four people always comment “no sorry” or some variation. It really annoys me. If you’re not interested, don’t say anything. The person getting rid will get the message with no reply. I really wanted to put in there “only answer if interested” when my mother in law was getting rid of something but was stopped. Then came the no, no not today etc. We’ve also had someone new move in and they joined the group yesterday and have absolutely bombarded it in less than 12 hours. There’s never been so much activity. I’ve had to archive it so not to get notifications or see it when I open WhatsApp. I know it would be easier to keep it that way or just leave, but sometimes there’s drama and that’s always fun to watch in real time. Edited May 30, 2025 by TheBurningRed Quote
DavidB6937 Posted May 30, 2025 Posted May 30, 2025 1 minute ago, TheBurningRed said: A minor irritation that’s been bubbling up for me. We have a WhatsApp group chat for our Close. Often people will try to get rid of an item or food for free or ask if anyone has a certain thing they can borrow. The same four people always comment “no sorry” or some variation. It really annoys me. If you’re not interested, don’t say anything. The person getting rid will get the message with no reply. I really wanted to put in there “only answer if interested” when my mother in law was getting rid of something but was stopped. Then came the no, no not today etc. Not had this on WhatsApp because I'm not crazy enough to join the local group chat. BUT the same behaviour annoys me on Facebook. "Can anyone help with xyz?" and then just person after person replying with "oh I wish I could!" or "I'm not around" or some other bollocks. JUST DONT FUCKING COMMENT. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted May 30, 2025 Members Posted May 30, 2025 There is no way I'd let any of my neighbours have my phone number. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted May 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 30, 2025 Yeah what are you guys playing at. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted May 30, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 30, 2025 44 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: JUST DONT FUCKING COMMENT. OK, I won't. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted May 31, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 31, 2025 Trauma dumping in Youtube comments and other unncessary places Just trying to watch Rob Brydon interview Sparks here, don't need to know your brother died. Feels like it's happening more and more frequently on anywhere people can comment. I'd love to believe they were all real stories but I very much doubt it. Either way I don't want to hear about it. Quote
King Coconut Posted May 31, 2025 Posted May 31, 2025 Just now, FLips said: Trauma dumping in Youtube comments and other unncessary places Just trying to watch Rob Brydon interview Sparks here, don't need to know your brother died. Feels like it's happening more and more frequently on anywhere people can comment. I'd love to believe they were all real stories but I very much doubt it. Either way I don't want to hear about it. My sister hated that too, before the cancer, obviously. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted May 31, 2025 Paid Members Posted May 31, 2025 3 minutes ago, King Coconut said: My sister hated that too, before the cancer, obviously. Thoughts and Prayers hun, have an upvote x Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted May 31, 2025 Members Posted May 31, 2025 It's always the most jarring thing as well isn't it? In the comments of Slayer - War Ensemble like "This was our song" Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.