Jump to content

Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, FLips said:

Trauma dumping in Youtube comments and other unncessary places

Just trying to watch Rob Brydon interview Sparks here, don't need to know your brother died. Feels like it's happening more and more frequently on anywhere people can comment. I'd love to believe they were all real stories but I very much doubt it. Either way I don't want to hear about it.

Just using this as an excuse to link you to Russell Mael's interview with the Guardian if you haven't already seen it: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2025/may/24/russell-mael-sparks-interview

What do you most dislike about your appearance?
"Too damn muscular."

Who would play you in the film of your life?
"Cate Blanchett."

The hero we need in this day and age.

Edited by Gus Mears
  • Paid Members
Posted

It's going off-topic and certainly into old man yells at clouds territory but it's just a minor symptom of everyone being chronically online. Some people have no idea how to talk to people or behave normally any more. Everything is for views, comments, likes now. Everything has to be filmed. Winds me up.

Posted

This may have been covered already but we have a guy at work who I only really need to speak to when we're updating our forecasts.  Simple things like "how many <x> licenses do we have?" or "when is the renewal due for <y>" which should be pretty straight forward things to answer, so I always just send him a Teams message asking for the info.  Without fail he will immediately call me back saying he "thought it would be quicker to just talk through it" and insist on sharing his screen while he logs in to different systems to gather the information.  I'm too polite to tell him a) it's a complete waste of my time, and b) one of the reasons I asked over Teams is so I can refer back to the answer at a later date if needed, but it annoys the hell out of me. 

  • Members
Posted
8 minutes ago, CTXRussomark said:

b) one of the reasons I asked over Teams is so I can refer back to the answer at a later date if needed

That all sounds really annoying and unnecessary but our Teams chats are wiped after a certain amount of time (can't remember off the top of my head how long) so could that be a factor?

Posted
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

That all sounds really annoying and unnecessary but our Teams chats are wiped after a certain amount of time (can't remember off the top of my head how long) so could that be a factor?

Nah, although I've come across that at a previous job (which was also super annoying) there is no such policy here.  But even if there was, that would be my problem not his.  Just type the fucking answer! :laugh:

  • Members
Posted

My heads boiling. Asked a question in a group chat while I wait for the Champions League final tonight, who scored the first ever Champions League goal. 

Some CUNT has clearly googled it and given me the answers of João Baptista Martins of Sporting C.P. (COME ON NOW!) complete with the accent in Joao. He scored the first ever European Cup goal and look maybe people do call them Sporting C.P. and not Sporting Lisbon, fine, benefit of the doubt, but he's still googled that in my opinion.

Then he's given me the answer of Kenan Yıldız who if you google the question, scored the first CL goal this season.

Fine, recency bias means you may very well know that, but the spelling is a pure copy and paste job (which I've just done) I don't even know how you change the i in that surname to that small i?

He's a bloody cheat and he's pissed me off by saying he asked his resident statto. Fuck off. You googled it.

For those that care what the answer is 

Spoiler

Daniel Amokachi

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Bet he’s got who scored in the first ever champions league final lined up as well if you was to ask that. 

Champions League finals I’m very good at as a specialist subject. But I wouldn’t have known your question so would’ve had to google eventually. 

Posted

I believe you are referring to the 1993 UEFA Champions League final, originally known as the 1993 European Cup final, was a football match between French club Marseille and Italian club Milan, played on 26 May 1993 at the Olympiastadion in Munich.

The final, which followed the second-ever UEFA Champions League group stage, saw Ivorian-born Marseille defender Basile Boli score the only goal of the match in the 43rd minute with a header to give l'OM their first European Cup title. It was the first time a French team had won the European Cup. No other club from the French league would reach the final until Monaco in 2004.

  • Members
Posted
8 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Champions League finals I’m very good at as a specialist subject. But I wouldn’t have known your question so would’ve had to google eventually. 

Absolutely fine, and I wouldn't have got it either, but don't be giving me "I've asked my resident statto" and then serving up spellings from Google! 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Something I have noticed increasingly often, and I don't know if this is a London-specific thing, is people waiting at pelican crossings and never pressing the button. Just a crowd of people gathering at the side of a road, and none of them pressing it. So you feel like a prick walking through them to press it, but then the lights change a couple of seconds later. Do they not know, or do some of them assume that someone else must have already pressed it? 

It's getting like queuing at a pub levels of just assuming that huge swathes of the population have forgotten how society operates.

  • Moderators
Posted

A very specific one for me today.. people pushing past to get off the tube at Canary Wharf. Literally 95% of people will be getting off at that stop. You don't need to push past other people to make sure you make your stop. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
19 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Something I have noticed increasingly often, and I don't know if this is a London-specific thing, is people waiting at pelican crossings and never pressing the button. Just a crowd of people gathering at the side of a road, and none of them pressing it. So you feel like a prick walking through them to press it, but then the lights change a couple of seconds later. Do they not know, or do some of them assume that someone else must have already pressed it? 

It's getting like queuing at a pub levels of just assuming that huge swathes of the population have forgotten how society operates.

Do you? I don't - if anything I feel a very slight jab of exasperation.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Do they not know, or do some of them assume that someone else must have already pressed it? 

In my case it's because I dislike the idea of inconveniencing a string of other people (in this case, drivers) just so that I escape a little bit of inconvenience. I hang around for perhaps 20 seconds to see whether a natural gap will appear, at which point I'll zip through it. And if one doesn't seem likely, I then press the button, having tried not to cause inconvenience to several other people going about their day.

(And it avoids the situation that you press the button but a gap appears before the lights activate, leaving drivers sitting at a red light afterwards whilst nobody crosses.)

Edited by Ronnie
  • Members
Posted
19 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

And it avoids the situation that you press the button but a gap appears before the lights activate, leaving drivers sitting at a red light afterwards whilst nobody crosses

This is the most British thing ever isn't it?

My 12yo is mortified when this happens and she always says "we should probably apologise" as we walk past the waiting cars. Little idiot.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...