Jump to content

Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)


Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm trying to keep a sense of perspective, so putting this in minor annoyances... despite the fact i'd like to start a thread called MAJOR FUCKING ANNOYANCES.

At the bus stop this morning, got my phone out to check times... someone smashed into my arm, look up to see a bike wheeling away. I FUCKING APOLOGISE because i'm an idiot and assume I was in the way. The guy next to me looks shocked and says 'what happened? are you okay?'... I look down at my hand, and my fucking phone is gone.

Fuck sake. 

Fucking London.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

We go through Washing Machines like you wouldn't believe. Don't want to sound like my Nana but nothing is made to last these days. All unrepairable or genuinely costs more to fix than to replace.

I like watching people repair stuff on YouTube. Really satisfying to see stuff saved from the tip but the difference in stuff made 30-50 years ago and the crap made now is unbelievable. They even make it impossible to open stuff without completely knackering it in most cases.

You do sound like everyone's nana but in this instance Nana's are 100% correct. Electrical appliances are all shit now, but my mum and dad's VHS player from 1995 is still going strong as is the big deep freezer they were given as a gift when they bought their first new house in 1988. My fridge can't last 3 fucking years.

 

Edit: I liked that but in solidarity, that's really shit @d-d-d-dAz

Edited by deathrey
Posted

Talking to anyone on the phone has become one of those things I absolutely hate these days. It's got to the point I don't even want to talk to my parents if I can avoid it as I hate the jolted experience. 

I do love that my bank allows me to just speak to someone on a chat about anything now so I have one less occasional phone call. 

  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

I don't understand that at all. Any situation with any level of complexity or nuance is so much easier and quicker to work through in a conversation rather than text or asynchronous voice notes, which as far as I am aware are the only other alternatives.

I hate the faff of going through phone IVR systems and doing identity verification stuff being slower on a call than digitally, but the actual conversation is welcome and always better. Isn't that why people like AI assistants? Because you can phrase things conversationally and get the outputs you want (in theory). 

Edited by Chest Rockwell
  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm with Chest. Especially from a work perspective, it will usually take me 10+ emails each way and half the day wasted to get order information I could get in a 30 second phone call.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I get both sides. It is easier and I'm someone who generally enjoys talking to people and does often but I still have a strange sense of dread whenever the phone rings, have a look at who it is and decide if I can be doing with a conversation and dread even more a pop up on Teams that says "Have you got time for a chat?" 

I will also send an email instead of just ringing up to enquire about something. Like yesterday, I wanted to find a pitch for a kickabout and I sent an email and waited half the day for a reply rather than just ringing up. I don't even know why.

  • Paid Members
Posted

My bosses boss "hates email" as a means of communication which is bizarre for someone on the board of an ecommerce company, and insists we do better calling customers than emailing them. Which is fine, except they always need to email us files or we can't place their order and we always have to email them an invoice or payment link to get paid for it.

And more to the point, the customer dictating over the phone what they want and me noting something incorrectly is far more likely and problematic than the customer emailing me what they want and then deciding its not right when it comes.

  • Moderators
Posted

Does anyone enjoy the songs in Lord of the Rings? After having never finished the books when I tried to read them years ago for finding them too boring I'm quite enjoying Andy Serkis's reading of them on audible. But the fucking songs... Jesus. Skipping is too much hassle so I tend to put them on 3x speed. But they're so unnecessary.

Posted

I’m in the anti-phone call group too. 
 

I just checked my call history and the last phone call I made was in August. Absolute hate it. I getting riddled with anxiety at just the thought of having to phone someone, especially a stranger.
 

Me and my wife have been together 12 years this year and we’ve never spoken on the phone to each other.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...