Jump to content

Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)


Recommended Posts

  • Members
Posted
14 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

This is a jab at recruitment companies, not you. Surely a better measure of success would be the number of candidates placed and roles filled, and in turn, revenue; rather than number of minutes racked up on inbound calls by employees?

Of course that's the ultimate measurement, call times is just used as one of the smaller KPIs that's all, so at the end of a bad month in revenue, they can look at why you've had a bad month.

If you ain't calling anyone, you ain't placing anyone,  to be honest.

Also, outbound calls, not inbound. That meant nothing.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted
On 12/23/2024 at 9:10 AM, Gus Mears said:

The compulsive need of old people (my mother) to want to have a phone conversation when a text would not only suffice but actually be the best medium for said conversation (a shopping list). It was also 8:35 and I was having a lie in.

This is now happening again. I woke up 25 minutes ago and it feels like a pig has shat in my head. Why????

  • Paid Members
Posted

New Year gym wankers using every bit of equipment at once and failing to wipe anything down so it's inundated with their arse sweat. At least they'll all have fucked off by March.

Posted
17 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

New Year gym wankers using every bit of equipment at once and failing to wipe anything down so it's inundated with their arse sweat. At least they'll all have fucked off by March.

Seconded, the bigger one for me at the moment is sitting for 10+ minute rest sets on machines doom scrolling on their phones oblivious to the rest of the gym. 

Posted

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've been to the cinema in the past decade (last time was probably pre-covid) but me and the other half decided to go and see the new Nosferafu last night.  Maybe we just got unlucky but it felt like the entire room had lost any sense of movie etiquette - people just casually chatting to each other all the way through, others on and off their phones, and a group of teens right next to us (who were guilty of all of the above) who had pre-booked a taxi to get them to a party they were going to, so just upped and left with 30 minutes of the movie still to go.  Was a rather strange and unenjoyable experience, so won't be rushing back anytime soon. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, CTXRussomark said:

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've been to the cinema in the past decade (last time was probably pre-covid) but me and the other half decided to go and see the new Nosferafu last night.  Maybe we just got unlucky but it felt like the entire room had lost any sense of movie etiquette - people just casually chatting to each other all the way through, others on and off their phones, and a group of teens right next to us (who were guilty of all of the above) who had pre-booked a taxi to get them to a party they were going to, so just upped and left with 30 minutes of the movie still to go.  Was a rather strange and unenjoyable experience, so won't be rushing back anytime soon. 

Cinema etiquette has absolutely got worse over the past few years. Just in one screening alone yesterday, I had a woman turn up 20 minutes late, make a right racket getting to her seat (two seats over from me) and spend the rest of the film cracking open cans of gin and tonic (I'll be honest, I do somewhat admire that bit). A guy taking photos of the screen every so often. A couple behind me who literally spent the whole film talking - there wasn't a 2-minute period where they shut up, it was just constant natter. And a group of guys walk into the wrong screening about an hour into the film, light the whole place up with their torches and then loudly state it wasn't the right screening, 'we should be in screen four!', calling each other dickheads and the like before they finally fucked off.

I've managed to tune most of it out now to the point where it doesn't affect watching the film too much, but yeah - people on the whole seem to be a bunch of inconsiderate rude arseholes.

Edited by Lorne Malvo
Posted

I get tense when I go to the cinema these days because I'll only go to see something I really want to see, so I don't want it spoilt. In previous years, I've seen films so bad that two gangs getting into a fight with one another was the only thing that made it notable, but it's different now.

Went to see a film a year or two ago and my mate and I had a couple sat next to us with a kid with them. Indulged the wife taking a selfie with her son just as the film started, but then she switched to recording the screen from the beginning. Why would you record the credits? Well, she wasn't, she seemingly was going to record the entire film with her arm held up at face level, so I had the light from her screen in the corner of my eye until I told her that it was really distracting and asked her to put it away. She huffed and puffed about it but did, but I don't know what she thought she was going to achieve.

Posted

I used to regularly go to the cinema on my own, but stopped about 5 years ago when other people became an issue. In an Aquaman screening with less than 10 people in, two women in my row were talking non-stop. I’m the least confrontational person ever, but I politely asked them to stop talking only to be met with a barrage of abuse for my trouble. Left and got a refund. People on their phones all the time, rustling food packaging, laughing at scenes that aren’t meant to be funny. I can’t remember what film it was, but I had a near empty screening one time, so I sat in the back row. A guy in a white suit* came in and sat right next to me. If you’re wearing a white suit to the cinema, you’re probably quite an eccentric character with stories to tell, but I wasn’t taking any chances that he was just a loony, so I moved away.

I will occasionally go and see a new Marvel film if I can get an early screening where there’s a handful of people there, but for the most part my cinema days are done. It does mean I miss out on seeing films like Oppenheimer and Nosferatu on the big screen as they should be seen. But I have no tolerance for dickheads anymore.  
 

*No, it wasn’t Forrest Gump.

Posted
49 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

A guy in a white suit* came in and sat right next to me. If you’re wearing a white suit to the cinema, you’re probably quite an eccentric character with stories to tell, but I wasn’t taking any chances that he was just a loony, so I moved away.

The last film I went to see there was a guy across the aisle who tried to tell me about the film before it started and the background of it, which knowing the film already I knew was a bunch of bullshit, so I just did a few quick nods and gave him nothing to continue the conversation with. Hate to be rude, but if I'd humoured him any more I probably would've been given scene-by-scene commentary on the whole film.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I have not been to the cinema anywhere near as often as I would like in the past few years, and a big part of that is because of all the aforementioned issues; it's just something that hits me know a fundamental level so badly that I just can't enjoy the film with all that sort of bollocks going on, so I won't go unless it's at a good (and consequently expensive) cinema like an Everyman, a Curzon, or the Arthouse in Crouch End.

Seems to me isn't just people getting shittier (people playing music out loud on their phones or having conversations on loudspeaker really boils my piss), but in the case of cinemas, the big companies like Vue and Odeon are always cutting corners on staff, so there's never anyone around to tell people to put their phones away or shut the fuck up. And it's been happening so long now that it's become a culture.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

 

Seems to me isn't just people getting shittier (people playing music out loud on their phones or having conversations on loudspeaker really boils my piss), but in the case of cinemas, the big companies like Vue and Odeon are always cutting corners on staff, so there's never anyone around to tell people to put their phones away or shut the fuck up. And it's been happening so long now that it's become a culture.

My local Vue you can go book a ticket online, go and watch a film and go home without ever seeing a member of staff. I've gone in the afternoon before and been the only person in a screening as well. It's actually quite eerie because the location is in a basically otherwise deserted shopping centre so it almost feels haunted.

I've been assuming this cinema will close for about 8 years now and it still scrapes by. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Those Bloo blocks you put in the cistern. Half the time they don't do a fucking thing, just don't take at all. So you stick another one in, flush, and then both blocks start working at once and you have a bog full of froth. 

  • Moderators
Posted

1) walking back from school drop off and other parents walking two abreast really slowly having a chinwag, blocking the whole pavement when i just need to bloody get home.

2) coffee machine forcing a full 25min descale process on me in-between making the coffee and then deciding it can't possibly froth my milk without being descaled.

  • Paid Members
Posted

In the "hope is not lost" column for cinemas - I went to my local Odeon to see Nosferatu at the weekend. My stomach sank when the screening filled up to the brim (I didn't expect it to be so popular) fully expecting a number of complete dickheads to ruin the experience but remarkably it was fine. There was no talking, no phones, no loud eating - I couldn't believe it.

Usually when I got to the cinema though I pick the most unsociable screening so there's as few people there as possible.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...