Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted December 11, 2024 Moderators Posted December 11, 2024 I'm in town this evening and had some time to kill before going for a gig. So I made my way over to the newly opened Dave's Hot Chicken to check it out. Got there and there's a 2hr queue! Crazy. I was fully prepared to wait like 20 min or something because I know it's exciting and new but that is just nuts. But disappointed but whatever. I'll come back in a couple months. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted December 11, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 11, 2024 Yes, language evolves and yes, younger people have the right to their own slang terminology and all that nonsense, but fuck me, what they’ve come up with annoys the tits off me. Any time anyone describes something as ‘slay’ - that can fuck off. The term ‘based’ - which, frankly, I don’t understand - can also fuck off. ‘Gives me the ick’ gives me the ick; ‘a bit of me’ is NOT a bit of me and saying something is ‘a vibe’ makes me shudder. In summary, fuck you Gen Z! Please stop this madness. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted December 11, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 11, 2024 Go off, king! Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 I'll occasionally use one of those Gen Z sayings around my 17yo to infuriate him. I was telling him about something that happened in some film I'd been to see and casually dropped "no cap!" at the end of the story and he told me to fuck off. It was great. Quote
simonworden Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 (edited) I have classes that sometimes have a mix of late Gen Z and early Gen Alpha's. The Gen Z look disgusted by their young counterparts new slang and these little sods are great at using in tongue in cheek to wind them up. I'm a grumpy old bugger really and can't wait til Gen Z are fully in the workforce/family life part of life and as miserable as the rest of us. Edited December 12, 2024 by simonworden Quote
DavidB6937 Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 Luckily my kids are too young to be talking all this weird shit but it does make me dread them growing up. It'll probably get even worse. Quote
cobra_gordo Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 Mine keep asking me if I know what the low taper fade meme is and it's doing my nut in. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted December 12, 2024 Members Posted December 12, 2024 You all have zero rizz clearly, and need to pay the *checks whatsapp messages from my 11yo* Fanum tax??? Quote
DavidB6937 Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 I am quite content being rizzless. I think. Quote
deathrey Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 Sigma. @RedRooster isn't 'that's a bit of me' more of a middle aged woman thing? They are the only people I've heard saying that. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 Kids calling their parents/adult family members "bro". Quote
cobra_gordo Posted December 12, 2024 Posted December 12, 2024 1 hour ago, FLips said: Kids calling their parents/adult family members "bro". This has been a thing in our house for the last year or two, it was annoying at first but it's quite cute now. My daughter is 20 and insists on calling me "gurl". Could be worse I suppose. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted December 12, 2024 Members Posted December 12, 2024 1 hour ago, FLips said: Kids calling their parents/adult family members "bro". My 11yo alternates between bro and bruv like I'm Phil and she's Grant. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: My 11yo alternates between bro and bruv like I'm Phil and she's Grant. I get 'bruh', which I don't mind as it makes me feel like one of the Fast familia. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted December 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2024 (edited) On 9/20/2024 at 10:15 AM, Accident Prone said: I heard a really weird thing on the work radio this morning. Greatest Hits was on, (not my choice, dear God no), and Pretty Fly by The Offspring came on. Hardly a greatest hit in my eyes, but you take what you get. Anyway, something about the song sounded really off, and after the second chorus I realised that they had removed the little guitar riff in between the chorus lines. So whereas the song would usually go; "So don't debate *riff* A player straight *riff*. You know he really doesn't get it anyway.", instead the song went, "So don't debateA player straightYou know he really doesn't get it anyway" and it therefore traveled at a slightly faster pace that didn't fit. It was incredibly unnerving, and the kind of radio edit that I've never, ever heard before. I've heard radio edits where they've removed the guitars and replaced them with strings, and I've heard edits where they've removed screaming and guitar solos, and edits where they've even removed entire choruses, verses, and bridges, but to play with a song's structure to this extent sent me reeling. That's the competency of the chorus fucked with, the pacing and the beat and the ability to sing-along to it (if you so desired). This little guitar riff is hardly some heavy down-tuned sludgy sound, it's something that you would hear in a Green Day song or in something by a Blink 182, or anything else from inoffensive radio bands like that. Messing with Pretty Fly is hardly high treason, but it irritated me to no fucking end. I think it's Heart radio, or Smooth or one of those ones that strikes me as being for housewives and/or Daily Mail readers where they edited Where Is The Love by the Black Eyed Peas down to about 2 and a half minutes by simply repeating the chorus over and over, and removing the majority of the political content of the lyrics like somebody at the station was worried their listeners would listen to the words and suddenly become an anarchist or want to take down the government or something, whereas it's actually just about being more tolerant. On a much more esoteric note we listen to Magic At The Musicals when I'm out in the car with Vicky or my Mum now (she's fallen out with radio 2 since she found out Scott Mills is leaving the afternoon show, and they're not replacing him with Mark & Lard), and they play a massively truncated version of If I Was A Rich Man by Topol from Fiddler On The Roof where they cut pretty much half the song out, entire verses and the middle 8 missing, but they'll then stick some 7 minute thing from off of out of Chicago on. They also do this thing where they won't credit any of the singers and just tell you what musical it's from, unless it's somebody particularly notable, like apparently former X-Factor winner Alexandra Burke is playing Whitney Houston in the stage version of The Bodyguard at the moment. As far as being ready for Christmas early I remember seeing a single rack in Morrison's in Scarborough back in July where they had advent calendars and selection boxes already on display, just a a reminder... Edited December 12, 2024 by Jazzy G Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.