Paid Members JLM Posted January 8, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 8, 2025 (edited) Quote Usually when I got to the cinema though I pick the most unsociable screening so there's as few people there as possible. Oh man, seeing Dune Part 2 my friend and I did exactly that for the same reasons. Went for a graveyard shift screening and had an almost empty cinema. Nobody anywhere near us until the end of the trailers. Mere seconds before the film started, two guys sat down behind us. One of them had not seen part one and did not have any concept of Dune, sci-fi, fiction or the idea of a film. He had many, many questions and his buddy was not-quite-whispering answers to every single one of them. We did glances, we did synchronised glances, we did British tutting. None of it worked. Then when he asked "what are those things they have in their noses" my friend hit his limit. He stood up, turned around and went "MY BROTHERS, ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?". I've never heard him call anyone that before or since but it was perfect. They didn't mutter to each other, double down, give him a snarky comeback, they just fell into complete silence and we didn't hear a peep for the rest of the movie. Edited January 8, 2025 by JLM Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted January 8, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 8, 2025 27 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: In the "hope is not lost" column for cinemas - I went to my local Odeon to see Nosferatu at the weekend. My stomach sank when the screening filled up to the brim (I didn't expect it to be so popular) fully expecting a number of complete dickheads to ruin the experience but remarkably it was fine. There was no talking, no phones, no loud eating - I couldn't believe it. Usually when I got to the cinema though I pick the most unsociable screening so there's as few people there as possible. Identical here. Scorchers and I went to see Nosferatu in a PACKED screening on Friday. Our corner of Essex is spectacularly uncultured so I was expecting the worst but they were good as gold. Maybe it's the Eggers crowd. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted January 8, 2025 Moderators Posted January 8, 2025 Good eggers? Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted January 8, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 8, 2025 4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said: Good eggers? Good arrows. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted January 8, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 8, 2025 It's a wrestling forum, so Ham & Eggers? Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted January 8, 2025 Moderators Posted January 8, 2025 2 minutes ago, Carbomb said: It's a wrestling forum, so Ham & Eggers? That's what I call the cinema dog I eat whilst watching Nosferatu. Quote
Paid Members garynysmon Posted January 21, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 21, 2025 This “cash is king” bullshit has become the latest right wing dog whistle. Oh fuck off, and make those takeaways in my town start taking cards. Cashless society? Bring it on, cash is a total pain in the arse. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted January 21, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 21, 2025 Sorry, but I hope we keep cash for two reasons: 1. It's better for homeless people. 2. It's crucial for people trapped in domestic abuse situations, where financial control by the abuser is almost always a factor. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 21, 2025 Members Posted January 21, 2025 15 minutes ago, Carbomb said: Sorry, but I hope we keep cash for two reasons: 1. It's better for homeless people. 2. It's crucial for people trapped in domestic abuse situations, where financial control by the abuser is almost always a factor. 3. For those that live in a rural-ish area and can't get 4G easily so the bus ticket app doesn't work, the contactless card reader on the bus never works, and they spend the entire time waiting for the bus in anxiety and stress smoking because of this so always have an emergency £3 in coins for this. They spend the time waiting checking that the pound coins are still in their pocket roughly 46 times. I'm talking about someone else obviously. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted January 22, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 22, 2025 Yeah, can't say I would like a cashless society at all. I don't want estate agents/lenders/etc to see absolutely everything I spend my money on. A £100 withdrawal on my statement looks much better than £100 worth of JustEat transactions. Quote
Rossman Posted January 22, 2025 Posted January 22, 2025 Just spent 10 minutes and 3 attempts trying to get the parking ticket machine at the hospital to accept my card. They never work properly. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted January 22, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 22, 2025 My usual cinema viewing time is the 11.30am showing at my local Reel Cinema. It's only £3.99 a ticket, plus a large pop and a tray of Nacho's means I'm getting a reasonably quiet screening for under £15 and still have the rest of the day for whatever else I may want to get up to. Not during school holidays, though. I wouldn't want to go fully cashless either as it'd potentially mean organisations being able to keep closer tabs on people's spending. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted January 22, 2025 Posted January 22, 2025 And it’s definitely not so that businesses can fiddle the books. Quote
Chili Posted January 22, 2025 Posted January 22, 2025 Yeah a cashless society feels like anyone with the power could squeeze you more and feel they have a divine right to abuse that power too. Reading these cinema stories and it occured to me that I don't think I've been to see a film at the cinema since I went to see 'Man on Wire' and I was the only person in the screening and felt it would probably never get better than that. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted January 22, 2025 Paid Members Posted January 22, 2025 Here's minor for you. A bloke in Mrs raid's team (in his 50s, permanently baffled) is a proven bullshitter and is prone to making his phone calls with customers last as long as possible so he doesn't have to take has many. Will go off on a tangent about a service the customer hasn't ordered, just so he can talk for a bit then punctuate with "however, because you've ordered X, that's not the case," - that kind of stuff. The minor part of this, is just how much the unnecessary filler in his spoken language bothers me. He'll ask a customer "do you have a previous old order number to hand" when "previous" or "old" will do, just because it takes longer to say. It peaked yesterday when, as I was on my way out of the office, I heard him ask "I'm just going to ask you a question, if that's OK?" ... What?? Do you think the customer will say "No" to being asked a question?? On what planet is that question required? Just ask the sodding question, the customer rang us for help. Why the hell are you stringing them along like this? I shoudn't be surprised. I had to interject yesterday. A customer sent two files in, asking to swap their current artwork for an alternate colourway. This idiot replied with a screengrab showing both files and asked which one they wanted us to use. Had he opened them, he'd seen they were the same image, only one was a png and one was a jpeg. Completely wasting customers time and jeopardizing us just swapping the artwork and taking the fucking sale. Moron. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.