DavidB6937 Posted September 19, 2024 Posted September 19, 2024 Right, no idea where this goes but my brain works in weird ways, so just gonna throw this out there. The riff from The Invisible Man by Queen makes me think of a fruit machine's hold music from when I used to go to the seaside as a kid. I can't find anything online to suggest that's the case and it's annoying me because I'm fairly sure I haven't made it up. Mostly because it's a really odd thing to make up. Anyone got any idea? Maybe there's a machine that sounds like it but isn't actually it. I need answers. It's pissed me off for years. If it helps, you can watch the batshit crazy video: Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted September 19, 2024 Posted September 19, 2024 (edited) I recently bought a copy of the Predator soundtrack on vinyl (Green ‘Predator Blood’ variant) on eBay. Cost me a decent amount of money, which then more than doubled after shipping and taxes got added on top as it’s coming from the U.S. I bought it on September 3rd. Since then it took the seller a week to mark it as dispatched (which only happened after I messaged them asking if it had shipped yet) from Pennsylvania, which then took 4 days to arrive at a centre in Illinois , it then went somewhere else in Illinois where it sat for 3 more days, the seller eventually replied to my original message 4 days after I sent it and it’s now supposedly on its way to me a mere 16 days after I bought the dam thing. If you ever buy something listed as using “eBay International Hub”, be prepared to be waiting a long time. Proper first world problem I know Edited September 19, 2024 by WyattSheepMask Quote
Paid Members Accident Prone Posted September 20, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 20, 2024 I heard a really weird thing on the work radio this morning. Greatest Hits was on, (not my choice, dear God no), and Pretty Fly by The Offspring came on. Hardly a greatest hit in my eyes, but you take what you get. Anyway, something about the song sounded really off, and after the second chorus I realised that they had removed the little guitar riff in between the chorus lines. So whereas the song would usually go; "So don't debate *riff* A player straight *riff*. You know he really doesn't get it anyway.", instead the song went, "So don't debateA player straightYou know he really doesn't get it anyway" and it therefore traveled at a slightly faster pace that didn't fit. It was incredibly unnerving, and the kind of radio edit that I've never, ever heard before. I've heard radio edits where they've removed the guitars and replaced them with strings, and I've heard edits where they've removed screaming and guitar solos, and edits where they've even removed entire choruses, verses, and bridges, but to play with a song's structure to this extent sent me reeling. That's the competency of the chorus fucked with, the pacing and the beat and the ability to sing-along to it (if you so desired). This little guitar riff is hardly some heavy down-tuned sludgy sound, it's something that you would hear in a Green Day song or in something by a Blink 182, or anything else from inoffensive radio bands like that. Messing with Pretty Fly is hardly high treason, but it irritated me to no fucking end. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted September 20, 2024 Posted September 20, 2024 I get that with I Gotta Feeling by the Black Eyed Peas which I assume has an edit because it never seems to fit with what's in my head for the song. Either that or I've just gone a bit bonkers. Probably the latter to be honest. That sounds really weird with Pretty Fly though. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted September 20, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 20, 2024 (edited) It used to really fuck me off that Radio 1 only ever played the garage remix of Gorillaz Clint Eastwood, the version that doesn't have Del The Funkee Homosapien on it, i.e the only good thing on it. Edited September 20, 2024 by gmoney Quote
Paid Members Bellenda Carlisle Posted September 20, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 20, 2024 It's like when they use a song in a film but edit it to fit the scene better, it may fit the action better but in your head you're suddenly thrown off a bit cos the song didn't flow right. Quote
Paid Members Accident Prone Posted September 20, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 20, 2024 (edited) The best way I can describe it is have you ever used the feature on podcast apps that cuts all the blank spaces between sentences? That but for a song. Not only was the riff gone, but the space in time where the riff existed was gone. I'm probably the only one who heard the song this morning who's putting this much bloody mental strain and effort into it! Edited September 20, 2024 by Accident Prone Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted September 20, 2024 Moderators Posted September 20, 2024 I still can't understand how that possibly works and the song is still in time and the same time signature? Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 20, 2024 Members Posted September 20, 2024 You know Chest really doesn't get it anyway. Quote
davertfnewman Posted September 20, 2024 Posted September 20, 2024 6 hours ago, Accident Prone said: I heard a really weird thing on the work radio this morning. Greatest Hits was on, (not my choice, dear God no), and Pretty Fly by The Offspring came on. Hardly a greatest hit in my eyes, but you take what you get. Anyway, something about the song sounded really off, and after the second chorus I realised that they had removed the little guitar riff in between the chorus lines. So whereas the song would usually go; "So don't debate *riff* A player straight *riff*. You know he really doesn't get it anyway.", instead the song went, "So don't debateA player straightYou know he really doesn't get it anyway" and it therefore traveled at a slightly faster pace that didn't fit. It was incredibly unnerving, and the kind of radio edit that I've never, ever heard before. I've heard radio edits where they've removed the guitars and replaced them with strings, and I've heard edits where they've removed screaming and guitar solos, and edits where they've even removed entire choruses, verses, and bridges, but to play with a song's structure to this extent sent me reeling. That's the competency of the chorus fucked with, the pacing and the beat and the ability to sing-along to it (if you so desired). This little guitar riff is hardly some heavy down-tuned sludgy sound, it's something that you would hear in a Green Day song or in something by a Blink 182, or anything else from inoffensive radio bands like that. Messing with Pretty Fly is hardly high treason, but it irritated me to no fucking end. Yeah, I've noticed a few little jumps in songs recently where I thought I'd hit a button and affected the radio, so not just me. As far as lyric edits, I remember when I was listening to Magic or one of those pop stations that does play some pretty classic songs but doesn't go much further back than Gangstas Paradise. Their edit of Stan by Eminem was hilarious, took it down from about six minutes to two with the stuff they take out to keep it radio friendly. Kinda like the otherwise great Clubland on Sky playing the Chef from South Park song and editing the main lyric down to pretty much Chocolate to avoid the whole lyric of "Suck on my chocolate salty balls! Put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em!". Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted September 20, 2024 Paid Members Posted September 20, 2024 The radio edit of Guilty Conscience by Eminem has got a hook that isn't on the proper one, presumably because they needed to fill it with something once they cut out all the transgressive stuff. Quote
CAREBEAR LUVVA Posted September 20, 2024 Posted September 20, 2024 7 hours ago, DavidB6937 said: I Gotta Feeling I really like that song but the way they spelled the title irks me quite a lot. "Gotta" is a shortened version of "got to", isn't it? "I've Got To Feeling". Similarly, I've seen a few people write the words "cuppa tea" recently. "Cuppa" is short for "a cup of tea", so a "cuppa tea" would be "a cup of tea tea". For fuck's sake. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 20, 2024 Members Posted September 20, 2024 21 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said: I really like that song Erm....can I ask why? Quote
CAREBEAR LUVVA Posted September 20, 2024 Posted September 20, 2024 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: Erm....can I ask why? Not in that tone of voice, no. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 20, 2024 Members Posted September 20, 2024 25 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said: Not in that tone of voice, no. Mazel tov! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.