Paid Members LaGoosh Posted July 26, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 26, 2024 4 hours ago, gmoney said: I guess my minor annoyance is people thinking the English language makes any sense and that it's only modern adaptations that make it silly or superfluous. It's chock full of contradictions and pointlessness already. I never noticed how needlessly complicated the English language is until my son started speaking and seeing how confused he'd get by stuff I said to him and I'd realise how many words we use that have multiple meanings that are completely unrelated to each other. Quote
Paid Members Ronnie Posted July 26, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 26, 2024 7 hours ago, air_raid said: “Colours clashing” meaning either colours wildly contrasting or being too similar, depending on context, is my favourite. I'd like to introduce you to sanction, which has two totally opposite meanings. "The scheme was sanctioned by the court" doesn't tell you anything without further context. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted July 26, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 26, 2024 38 minutes ago, Ronnie said: I'd like to introduce you to sanction, which has two totally opposite meanings. "The scheme was sanctioned by the court" doesn't tell you anything without further context. And the twin bastard stepsisters of all of these, which we have come across before - flammable and inflammable, two opposite-sounding words which mean the same. Quote
Paid Members Scratch Posted July 26, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 26, 2024 (edited) A good friend of mine randomly added a message to our WhatsApp group a few years back saying “I’m on Channel 4 tonight at 8pm” and then said no more. We all tuned in to see him take part in a “face your phobias” type show because he was scared of birds. He’d never mentioned his phobia before and hadn’t told any of us he’d been on this show. The promo shot was of him holding Why Bird from Playdays. Edited July 26, 2024 by Scratch Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted July 26, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 26, 2024 3 hours ago, Ronnie said: I'd like to introduce you to sanction, which has two totally opposite meanings. "The scheme was sanctioned by the court" doesn't tell you anything without further context. 2 hours ago, air_raid said: And the twin bastard stepsisters of all of these, which we have come across before - flammable and inflammable, two opposite-sounding words which mean the same. And, of course, "sanguine" meaning both calm/laid back, and bloodthirsty and savage. Also, "to dust". Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 26, 2024 Members Posted July 26, 2024 56 minutes ago, Scratch said: A good friend of mine randomly added a message to our WhatsApp group a few years back saying “I’m on Channel 4 tonight at 8pm” and then said no more. We all tuned in to see him take part in a “face your phobias” type show because he was scared of birds. He’d never mentioned his phobia before and hadn’t told any of us he’d been on this show. The promo shot was of him holding Why Bird from Playdays. Didn't know you were friends with Slapnut. Quote
Merzbow Posted July 26, 2024 Posted July 26, 2024 Why Bird was a prick, always hated that goody goody and you knew it'd be a dull episode if it landed on her stop. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted July 26, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 26, 2024 (edited) Horseshit. Why Bird was the tits. Best stop. Worst stop was that merry-go-round one. Edited July 26, 2024 by gmoney Quote
Paid Members hallicks Posted July 26, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 26, 2024 My memory of it is that Why Bird stop was the best and everything else was dull. Quote
deathrey Posted July 26, 2024 Posted July 26, 2024 I loved Why Bird! Which was the Merry Go Round? Why Bird was Monday and whatever stop it was in Friday was my other favourite Quote
Paid Members Ronnie Posted July 26, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 26, 2024 5 hours ago, air_raid said: And the twin bastard stepsisters of all of these, which we have come across before - flammable and inflammable, two opposite-sounding words which mean the same. Ah, I have sympathy in that case, however! We have a series of prefixes beginning with i- which mean "not", and the second letter varying depending on the sound it precedes: improper, inexact, illegal, irrelevant, imperfect, incorrect, illegitimate, irresponsible ... It's pretty obvious to me why somebody would see inflammable and think of it as being something which isn't "flammable", with that second word being related to flame. (Pretty obvious because I thought that that's what it meant for most of my own life.) And since plenty of people did indeed misunderstand what "inflammable" means then "flammable" came into existence. (The opposite of both, if your interested is piqued, is "non-flammable". Note: not "uninflammable"!) Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted July 26, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 26, 2024 27 minutes ago, deathrey said: I loved Why Bird! Which was the Merry Go Round? Why Bird was Monday and whatever stop it was in Friday was my other favourite The one with the really annoying song ("roll up and ride on Rosie") and a cat, called Poppy I think? Quote
Merzbow Posted July 26, 2024 Posted July 26, 2024 Poppy the scouse cat? See I remember liking her much more, she had that edge to her. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted July 26, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 26, 2024 I don't remember her being Scouse, but possibly why I might have been against her. Why Bird had a lovely rich Welsh voice. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.