Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

I thought that finale was really disappointing, to be honest. Everything that was interesting during this series has been wrapped up in the most generic possible way. 

Spoiler

White Vision getting to live and seemingly turning good due to the power of love or some such bollocks is the kind of thing that would rightfully get shat on if Doctor Who or something did it. 

Evan Peters casting being a misdirect to pop the fans was pretty obvious from the off, but I didn't think they'd treat the reveal that he's just a normal bloke as an utter joke.

Overall it was a really good series with some great individual moments and a lacklustre finale. I still think Agents of SHIELD sits at the top of the MCU TV pile. 

• Paid Members

Did anybody see that report the other day that WB are looking at getting JJ Abrams to make a trilogy of Superman films? 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Did anybody see that report the other day that WB are looking at getting JJ Abrams to make a trilogy of Superman films? 

My understanding is that he's producing Supe's with Michael B Jordan starring. Well up for that. JJ is much safer pair of hands than Zack Snyder and making Supes black really adds a new element to the story.

• Awards Moderator

Ta-Nehisi Coates writing it is the most interesting thing about the announcement. He’s an outstanding writer on the subject of race in America (Between The World And Me is a must read); he’s also had a few runs writing Black Panther, and those I’ve read have been great.

Overall WandaVision was great for me. Adored the concept and the main performances were exceptional throughout. Yes there were a few questionable things obviously, and fan speculation and excitement can hurt it as much as make it enjoyable, but I think it's one of my favourite things in the MCU. A nice change of pace and some real fun mixed with genuine emotion. Some of that finale really got me.

• Paid Members

I love how much it made me care about Wanda and to a lesser extent Vision. My ten year old daughter absolutely loved it. She couldn't have less knowledge of old black and white sitcoms but it hooked her like you wouldn't believe. We watched Age of Ultron and all the Xmen films off the back of it.

Wandavision, despite some complaints about the finale, will stand as another home run for Marvel, it was a really fun series to tune in for week by week. Hopefully Falcon and The Winter Soldier continues that form when it starts in 2 weeks time, if the trailer is anything to go by it should do

Wandavision was solid. Nothing mind blowing but it was interesting to see film level action in a TV show. This pushes things along nicely for the next phase but my two biggest gripes of the whole thing?

It felt slightly rushed and across the series there's over 90 minutes of fucking credits. 

Overall, I really enjoyed and thought it better than solid. It almost flunked the landing by hitting the Marvel rails HARD coming into the finish, but had plenty of the cute and moving character moments to pull it back from the brink. Bettany has shone throughout, albeit in a showier form than Olsen had to be, who has herself been excellent, especially in the final strait when her journey needed to come to a head. They essentially presented Wandavision as a TV series capped with a Marvel movie, which is actually a pretty perfect binging model for Disney+.

I wonder if Marvel will learn a lesson from this. When even the show runner comes out in what should be the hype for the finale only to say how much a lot of fans are going to be DISAPPOINTED, that's not a good sign. They've built an IP on fan service and interconnectivity, so they either need to deliver every time with bombshells or manage expectations better.

Still, Bettany's Vision is probably my favourite Avenger right now. He's the best and worst of the MCU all wrapped up in one, and probably a better version of Superman than the DCEU have managed so far in terms of a ludicrously overpowered being finding his place among humanity. He's also gosh darn handsome.

The fan service stuff is a difficult thing to balance. I like little nods and easter eggs etc but I never think a product should be driven by the fanwank dream scenarios on Twitter or anything. Let writers write and tell their stories.

For example, you had people moan that no one said Avengers Assemble for ages but fuck me that was a satisfying payoff when it happened in the movies. Same with the Scarlet Witch transformation etc.

But yeah sometimes they do bring it on themselves unnecessarily with red herrings. Although I'm sure sometimes it's not what they're aiming for.

I think if they keep being creative and using the TV shows to tell tales they can't on the big screen then I'll consider it all a success. With so much content there's always going to be a few misses along the way, but they do have a remarkable hit rate all things considered.

What percentage of people who watched it are even aware of the Xmen teases do we think? Not even 5% I'd guess. I don't think it's that big of an issue to do what they did, as the vast majority are not even aware of what they were doing. 

What happened to the rebooted Vision, too? Isn't he essentially the 'real thing', as far as Wanda is concerned. All the real memories and feelings now. Couldn't they carry on where they left off just before Thanos

57 minutes ago, Dai said:

What happened to the rebooted Vision, too? Isn't he essentially the 'real thing', as far as Wanda is concerned. All the real memories and feelings now. Couldn't they carry on where they left off just before Thanos

Spoiler

Except he isn't the old Vision. Neither of them were. One was Wanda's memories of Vision made flesh from the remnants of the Mind Stone. One was the reanimated body of the original, that has been killed twice, once by Wanda, brought back without the Mind Stone but with an artifical power source, whose main coded objective, despite having his old memory files unlocked, is to kill himself. And that doesn't take into account the fact that Wanda herself has been grieving for weeks. Neither of them, or their relationship, can be the same as where they left it 5 years ago in Wakanda.

Whew.

My own fanfic theory now is that White Vision has to go reconcile his existence with himself, and goes off into space to become the MCU's Silver Surfer. This is based purely on him looking a bit Silver Surfery. They could con his origin so that Wanda replaces Surfer's unobtainable love, with Earth replacing the home world Surfer was protecting from Galactus, which then ties into the fanboy screaming for the Krunts' Fantastic Four.

Spoiler

I know they weren't helped by fan expectation but they must have known the "Boner" reveal would feel like a slap in the face to some fans. Taking a character that your rivals did better than you and turning them into a dick joke feels like something the WWE would do.

Also, was it me or did the science woman from 2 Broke Girls only get to crash an ice cream truck and then say one line? What was that about?

Otherwise I enjoyed the series. My fear when Marvel bought Fox was that we were basically seeing the end of more unusual superhero stuff. Marvel are clearly never going to make a Logan or Legion and there's no way Deadpool would have ever started under their watch (even if it seems like they might continue it) but Wandavision was at least an attempt to do something different.

It'll be interesting to see how the Falcon and Winter Soldier series does because that feels like a way less interesting proposition to me but is also clearly going to follow the formula more closely.