Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

It was OK. Watching it at home definitely helped. I'm glad he got to do it.

There is no real comparison to the theatrical release as that was a mish mash of 2 versions and cut to shit. At least this had one vision. There was never really a 'Snyder Cut' WB was just clever and allowed him a budget to film new scenes to finish his original 2 part film, driving people to HBO Max.

I'll never watch it whole again, like most of his films I'll probably rewatch certain scenes. He really does need a talented writer to work with him.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Factotum said:

There was never really a 'Snyder Cut' WB was just clever and allowed him a budget to film new scenes to finish his original 2 part film, driving people to HBO 

He filmed 3 to 5 extra minutes, that being the the very very end. The rest was shot and in the can lacking vfx and scoring.

The cut existed to a certain level. Depending if the rumours are true the wb brass even saw it and then bulked 

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members

Yep there were even test screenings with unfinished VFX that confirm the vast majority was already shot. 

13 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

He filmed 3 to 5 extra minutes, that being the the very very end. The rest was shot and in the can lacking vfx and scoring.

The cut existed to a certain level. Depending if the rumours are true the wb brass even saw it and then bulked 

I don't think they were wrong. If this got released in cinemas I think it would have got a much harder pasting than it has.

I think there were reshoots on other stuff but happy to be wrong on that. I suppose depends on how it initially played and how they edited differently etc.

Edited by Factotum

• Paid Members
Just now, Factotum said:

I don't think they were wrong. If this got released in cinemas I think it would have got a much harder pasting than it has.

I believe a lot more was shot than mentioned. Happy to be wrong though!

There’s a difference between cutting his movie and refilming most of it. The film that was released in cinemas hugely re filmed. Hence superman’s lip the Russian family ect. 

I doubt we will ever really know what was re shot. But he said he only had a few actors for 4 days with some of them having to work on green screen in other counties due to the pandemic. 

I actually quite enjoyed the Snyder cut, although I watched it over two sittings. It's got problems for sure, it's pacing is terrible. The first act takes 40 minutes to achieve about 15 minutes worth of story and at least one sequence that was built up as a huge deal by the Snyder Cut Truthers (The Iris West/Hot Dog scene), serves no purpose to THIS story and should probably occur in the first 10 minutes of the upcoming Flash movie. There's still the sense that Snyder isn't interested in any of the characters in terms of who they are beyond their power sets/ability to look cool apart from Batman and Cyborg. You also get the impression that the film he really wants to make is the edgy post apocalypse of the Knightmare epilogue. He seems to fundamentally miss the appeal of Superman despite having made 3 Superman movies!

ALL that being said, it's nicely shot and framed despite the copious slo mo and God awful pallette and the climactic battle is much improved.

Just finished Episode one of The Falcon and The Winter Soldier and really enjoyed it. I like that they're using these TV shows to go deeper into their own world building and actually exploring the characters as people who are affected by the ramifications of these adventures rather than just teflon coated exponents of derring-do. Batroc isn't daft enough though.

• Paid Members
Spoiler

Did anyone find the change in tone for the last nightmare sequence a little jarring? For the first 3 and half hours or so, it felt like your standard 12a comic book fare filled with comic book-esque action that I'd have no problem with my younger kid watching, then suddenly we're in a nightmare where the Joker is talking about reach-arounds and Batman is dropping F-bombs. 

I get that they have gone "R" rated with it, so I should expect some ault themes, but it just seemed to come out of nowhere.

Overall though, I think I liked it. The theatrical was so nondescript that I struggled to remember anything about its which may have helped. I wasn't keen on Cyborg's look, though. I don't think the CGI aspect of him worked, personally. Also, I think it was a bit daft not to make it a fully contained, standalone story. I man, the chances them coughing up the money to make a sequel is very low, so wrap all the loose ends up and scrap the "teases" in the epilogue.

It's a shame that DC don't seem capable of making a Justice League "universe" work, though. I think there are enough complex characters there to make a proper mature, R-rated(as the Americans say) superhero franchise. 

Cene was the only good thing about that trailer and outside of that it looks like a typical "oh we so quirky" fest and I'll probably forget %90 of the movie within 48 hours.

The biggest problem I have with the DC output is that I rarely find myself bothering to rewatch anything.

Also the steaming turd that was Birds of Prey has killed any interest I have in anything involving Harley Quinn.

Edited by The King Of Swing