Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Yep on episode 6 tonight. Really good stuff. Cracking animation and seems pretty faithful to the comic at least from what I can tell from the 4 issues I read. Certainly in tone at least.

It's light like The Tick without the comedy mixed with The Boys without the comedy and darkness. EDIT - THIS IS A TERRIBLE DESCRIPTION I APOLOGISE IN ADVANCE

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Yep been watching, the voice cast is amazing and it's been great that they didn't get bogged down in world building or explaining everyone's powers. Probably the best example of hitting the ground running for the  superhero genre. I also like that the jump from typical superhero punch ups to graphic violence manages to remain shocking every time it happens. 

• Paid Members

My biggest problem with it is Jason Mantzoukas, everyone else in the voice ast is great and fits right in, but he stands out like a sore thumb. Don't know if it's that he doesn't even remotely sound like a teen or just that he sounds like he's doing a mildly toned down version of the same voice he brings to every show but it pulls me out of the show every time.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, chokeout said:

Yep been watching, the voice cast is amazing and it's been great that they didn't get bogged down in world building or explaining everyone's powers. Probably the best example of hitting the ground running for the  superhero genre. I also like that the jump from typical superhero punch ups to graphic violence manages to remain shocking every time it happens. 

Yes. The show is quite disarming initially. It starts of with pretty standard Justice League type storytelling and action. Then mixes in some teen drama. Which usually would have killed my interest. I stuck with the first episode and was drawn into the multi-layer story they're building. Started at around 6PM last night and have watched the first three episodes so far. The episodes are about 45mins long and they pack a fair bit into them. Looking forward to watching the rest.

• 3 weeks later...

I quite like that they’ve doubled down on the shitness. The first one managed to be enjoyably shit and in a world of oversaturated  po faced cape films I’m glad at least one tries to be as stupid as they should be. I’ll see it when it eventually comes to Netflix.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I quite like that they’ve doubled down on the shitness. The first one managed to be enjoyably shit and in a world of oversaturated  po faced cape films I’m glad at least one tries to be as stupid as they should be. I’ll see it when it eventually comes to Netflix.

I didn’t hate Venom. Sure, they turned one of my favourite villains and made him comedic, but Tom Hardy’s tribute to 90’s Jim Carrey was inspired. This looks absolute shite however. No matter how cool Carnage looks.

• 5 weeks later...

The first episode of Loki showed some promise. I wasn’t really interested in the idea of a Loki show but the fact they look to be tying it in to the next ‘phase’ and the hook of Loki hunting down himself through time and space is pretty neat. Had no idea Owen Wilson was on board either, that was weird.

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

The first episode of Loki showed some promise. I wasn’t really interested in the idea of a Loki show but the fact they look to be tying it in to the next ‘phase’ and the hook of Loki hunting down himself through time and space is pretty neat. Had no idea Owen Wilson was on board either, that was weird.

I really enjoyed it. Good links to the movies before it, and a nice idea about the time travel etc. Nothing mind-blowing but Hiddleston is fantastic so will carry it through, and I thought Owen Wilson was decent too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

A twofer.

Loki episode 5 I really enjoyed, mainly for 3 things. Alligator Loki, Richard E Grant and Mike Flowers Pops. I hope they stick the season Finale next week.

Then I just saw Black Widow. Really enjoyable spy caper. Like The Winter Soldier mixed with Mission Impossible. Scarlett Johansson was great as usual but Florance Pugh was a great addition and both Rachel Weisz and David Harbour were great in there turns. Plus we got Ray Winstone to boot. Some good humour at times and some great fight scenes. Wasn’t expecting much but really enjoyed it. There is an end credit scene as well.

9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

A twofer.

Loki episode 5 I really enjoyed, mainly for 3 things. Alligator Loki, Richard E Grant and Mike Flowers Pops. I hope they stick the season Finale next week.

Then I just saw Black Widow. Really enjoyable spy caper. Like The Winter Soldier mixed with Mission Impossible. Scarlett Johansson was great as usual but Florance Pugh was a great addition and both Rachel Weisz and David Harbour were great in there turns. Plus we got Ray Winstone to boot. Some good humour at times and some great fight scenes. Wasn’t expecting much but really enjoyed it. There is an end credit scene as well.

Seems to be mixed reviews for Widow, I’ve gotta wait a week longer to go see it (no chance I’m paying Disney £30 on top of my £6 D+ sub just for one film) as I’ve got my niece’s birthday party on Saturday. Hoping I can do a double feature of that and Space Jam, how long roughly does the film run?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Seems to be mixed reviews for Widow, I’ve gotta wait a week longer to go see it (no chance I’m paying Disney £30 on top of my £6 D+ sub just for one film) as I’ve got my niece’s birthday party on Saturday. Hoping I can do a double feature of that and Space Jam, how long roughly does the film run?

About 2 hours or as you say £19.99 for Premier Access.

• Paid Members

Really disappointed in Marvel. Black Widow isn't just shit. It's pretty offensive.

Spoiler

I thought for sure it would be something for my 11 Yr old girl but it flippantly makes jokes of forced sterilisation which made me really uncomfortable

I would really like to here from female members of the board because I concede that I'm a dumb arse white man but that stuff just felt super not OK to normalise.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, DEF said:

Really disappointed in Marvel. Black Widow isn't just shit. It's pretty offensive.

Reveal hidden contents

I thought for sure it would be something for my 11 Yr old girl but it flippantly makes jokes of forced sterilisation which made me really uncomfortable

I would really like to here from female members of the board because I concede that I'm a dumb arse white man but that stuff just felt super not OK to normalise.

I have just started watching again with my wife who

Spoiler

Has already sobbed and complained about the title sequence being too much with the children being trafficked. 

But to your spoiler, I don't think 

Spoiler

It was made light of. I think it was a play on the sterotype on males not being comfortable with female body parts. And it has been something previously covered when Natasha discussed what happened to her prior to meeting the Avengers. I don't think they were trying to make light of the situation, but it will be interesting to see other takes.

But yeah, I feel it is too much for my 8 year old. Personally, I watched way worse at her age, but she is much more sensitive to violence, so I will let her watch it in a few years.