Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Famously, there's no money in streaming. 

If you want me to break it down further I can. There maybe a small uptake from die hard DC fans without HBO Max to subscribe this month to see it. It’s not available to buy as yet, it’s not available to rent. As QTR said, it’s on Sky Movies tomorrow. Most recent releases, like Wonder Woman 84, you could only rent or buy here, not watch as part of your subscription to anything. So I’m suggesting a film being given a free release rather then a premium rental or purchase option, is not going to generate the same as a film going straight to free stream. 

The only other example is Disney+ got people to pay an up charge to see Mulan and Raya and the last Dragon 3 months early, but included Soul and Hamilton for free, cancelling their Cinema releases. So some bought in extra revenue, by premium access. And those 4 films have cost less then what Justice League has cost to make. 

@Merzbowhttps://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/movieweb.com/amp/justice-league-snyder-cut-not-dceu-canon/

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I think what you meant to say is there will be no box office income. Warner Brothers have not given it to Sky for nothing, nor will will they to any other service to stream. 

Well there is no box office income, or rental, or purchase income. Sky and HBO have an agreement so there will be some money paid for a film that I assume is outside that deal, but the fact it’s being released only on subscription in their two biggest markets has to be a blow.

The deal Amazon and Apple were perusing with MGM for the rights to Bond 25 were around $800m which is why they backed out in the end and it will still get a cinema release. 

• Paid Members

If you know where to look, it appears it’s been released early In all it’s 1:33:1 glory

*** UPDATE ***

Spoiler
  • The Aspect ratio is really odd.
  • The beginning of the film is in a different order.
  • The Wonder Woman saving London scene has been Snydered with new fighting and slow motion bits.
  • The pacing is really slow.
  • Lot of unnecessary additions so far and I am only 30 minutes in.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Well, it took me 3 sessions, but I made it through Zack Snyder’s Justice League.

People are calling it a masterpiece. I would say it’s not even his masterpiece. That said, it’s the best of his DCU films by a distance. That said, as expected, you get almost 3 hours of good to boring fare before the last hour which is very good. But there is a lot of filler there.

Cyborg though. Well, Ray Fisher probably had a lot of points talking about the Joss Whedon toxic set. His character in this is almost completely different to his attempt. Someone said on Twitter that Slow mo shots for Snyder is like Lens Flare for JJ Abrams. I reckon you could probably cut 30 minutes out by cutting them. There is a good 2 to 2 1/2 hours of a good film there, but the 4 hour running time is ridiculous.  

7/10

• Paid Members

I was fascinated by it existing more than I found the film itself fascinating. This is definitely an improvement. But I honestly think it would have been badly received if it had been released like this.

At almost four hours, it's pretty coherent and the characters mostly work. It's doing a LOT of work, and it mostly pulls it off. But I really don't think there's a way to get to 2.5 hours. Even 3 would be a stretch. When it goes full-on with long fight scenes, it overwhelms somewhat. I found my attention wandering during big climactic stuff, and it was just that there was so much constantly happening. The longer run-time helps enormously with the pacing.

With the theatrical cut, the pacing was shot as it desperately moved the pieces around to fit a realistic run-time. On seeing the full version, this was never really going to be possible. This wasn't a betrayal by the studio - the film wasn't fit for purpose. It does what it does fairly well. It doesn't fulfil the necessity of being an audience-pleasing blockbuster.

I'm not waving a flag for the rewrite or the person who did the rewrite. But nobody was getting that down to a realistic run-time. There would just be too many compromises. You either sacrifice a bunch of stuff or you constantly overload the audience.

I remember some C64 licensed horror game, and the developers weren't given enough time. The publishers got this messy, unfinished game, and in an interview said "what else could you do? You just launch the fucking thing." That's kind of what happened with the theatrical cut. They had an assembly that needed so much work, they just put a load of plasters on it, launched it and moved on.

I honestly think that if there was a great (or at least significantly improved) 3-hour movie in this, Snyder would have released that today.

Taking it as what it is, which is basically an incredibly expensive miniseries... it's pretty good. It's self-indulgent and it's still messy, but I'm not going to deny that it's an improvement and the good stuff works. It's aimed at the hardcore fans. If you're a DC comics fan, you'll probably enjoy it. If you're interested, it's worth it. Having a pause button helps a LOT.

I'm mainly interested in this as a writing study. And really, this either will or should be taught in classes one day. Seeing what one person had and the decisions another made to try (and fail) to fix it... it's fascinating stuff to compare and analyse.

If and when you watch it, give some genuine thought to how you'd cut that down to a workable sub-3-hour movie that improved on the 2017 effort. What compromises would you make?

• Moderators

I suppose I must've enjoyed it, being that I watched the whole thing and barely looked at my phone. Conversely, I was so bored by the Whedon version, I couldn't remember a single thing that happened in it. It didn't feel GRIMDARK like gritty-boi Snyder's become known for, and it was honestly refreshing to not have the "Well that happened!"/"You guys saw that, right? The big monster? That's gonna leave a stain!" smart-arse dialogue of Whedon's that infected the Marvel movies.

Although I couldn't watch the Quicksilver Flash scene where he's gently and lovingly rescuing that girl in the street without thinking of the video where Ezra Miller chokeslammed a girl in the street a year ago which had no consequences whatsoever.

• Paid Members

I dunno, cut out a lot of the needless slow mo and some of the extraneous scenes and I think you could get it down to 3 hours which would have been fine for theatrical then bung this out as a Directors Cut.

I was really surprised with how good it was. Honestly I expected a BvS style mess. But its definitely the best DCU film. Doesn't rival top tier Marvel but it gets a thumbs leaning up from me. Only real complaints are the colour pallet is really tedious and for a character that runs faster than the speed of light The Flash sure does move slowly.

• Paid Members

I was always going to enjoy it but the last hour was really really good. 

How wb thought it was a good idea to reshoot the more or less the whole of the final battle and add in random Russian family is beyond me. 

The tease to the failed Ben affleck batman movie makes me sad we never got to see it. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Big improvement over the original release but as others have pointed out it was never going to work as a theatrical release.

Whedon's cut was the textbook definition of forgettable. Also wasn't he alleged to have been a massive cunt on set?

Whedon's been outed as a POS on most sets he's worked on from accounts. Ray Fisher mentioned it at first after Cyborg was ostensibly removed from Whedon's cut of Justice League.

He threatened to fire Charisma Carpenter from Buffy/Angel for being pregnant, and Michelle Trachtenberg doesn't go into detail about what happened, but a higher up issued an instruction that he wasn't allowed to be "left alone with her [Trachtenberg] again". Sarah Michelle Geller has spoken out in support of them both, and David Boreanaz has also made mention of things, albeit following pressure on social media. 

https://www.distractify.com/p/joss-whedon-charisma-carpenter

10 hours ago, DEF said:

I dunno, cut out a lot of the needless slow mo and some of the extraneous scenes and I think you could get it down to 3 hours which would have been fine for theatrical then bung this out as a Directors Cut.

Yeah after letting it all sink in I can think of a few scenes that could have been trimmed or even removed. 

The final few scenes are almost entirely new content right? Can't tell if Snyder was hoping to set up a sequel or just went fuck it I'm taking this chance/money and going all out.

I found the action so much more engaging in the Snyder cut where as I honestly struggled to remember much of anything from the theatrical release.

Much better than both cuts of BvS.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Yeah after letting it all sink in I can think of a few scenes that could have been trimmed or even removed. 

The final few scenes are almost entirely new content right? Can't tell if Snyder was hoping to set up a sequel or just went fuck it I'm taking this chance/money and going all out.

I found the action so much more engaging in the Snyder cut where as I honestly struggled to remember much of anything from the theatrical release.

Much better than both cuts of BvS.

From what I’ve seen online only 

Spoiler

The Knightmare sequence

Is new. If that’s the case, what was 70 million spent on? As to cut bits, there’s about 4 minutes of a village singing for a start.