Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

Just now, WyattSheepMask said:

I wouldn’t say that I’m anti-Snyder, all I’m saying is that his track record certainly doesn’t lineup with this supposed pedigree that some seem to think he has. I’ve liked stuff that he’s done and I’ve hated stuff that he’s done too.

Oh mate i wasn't really mentioning anyone here. Mainly just twitter and all that. Thet act like Snyder fucked their wife or something.

• Paid Members

DC’s movie attempts just look so amateur hour compared to Marvel. What’s Marvel heading into now? Phase 4 or something? And the DC movies just seem to be playing catch-up in establishing a universe. It feels like they’re the WCW circa 1998–2001 of the superhero movie world with all these constant reboots and recasting and reworks.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Who is DC’s Kevin Feige? Do they even have one? Criticise the artistic merits of the Marvel movies all you like but that guy has done a tremendous job of pulling all that shit together.

No they don’t, they hire directors then wait till they make movies, then over rule them and film what they want.

justice league, suicide squad and now birds of pray have all been messed with 

The Snyder DC movies are just so soulless and joyless and that Darkseid still just encapsulates them at an aesthetic level. Indistinct, dull and colourless. Everything looks like it's been made of brass and dragged through a coalmine. None of the pop or crackle of the character as he was envisaged. Even Granny Goodness looks boring in that shot.

Snyder has always struck me as the kind of guy whose comic reading goes as far as reading Frank Miller comics and muttering "whores". Handing him Jack Kirby's Fourth World characters to filter through his aesthetic just feels like a waste.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, quote the raven said:

No they don’t, they hire directors then wait till they make movies, then over rule them and film what they want.

justice league, suicide squad and now birds of pray have all been messed with 

Let's not pretend that Marvel don't hire people and then fuck around with their vision and micromanage things. There's plenty of stories of that. They're just good at it is all.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Let's not pretend that Marvel don't hire people and then fuck around with their vision and micromanage things. There's plenty of stories of that. They're just good at it is all.

Quite true, I’m sure the whole star wars thing will come to light sooner or later. 

23 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Exactly. Scorsese was bang on the money when he said it’s filmmaking by consensus. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Exactly. Scorsese was bang on the money when he said it’s filmmaking by consensus. 

That applies to the majority of studio film making to be fair. Look at Cannon and 80's action movies. Basically executive producers love to stick their ore in.

40 minutes ago, DEF said:

That applies to the majority of studio film making to be fair. Look at Cannon and 80's action movies. Basically executive producers love to stick their ore in.

Yes it does, which made it even funnier when Marvel fans moaned about their films not being taken seriously, so when Marty took them seriously and pointed out they aren’t special or art, they didn’t like it.