Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

It's unlike anything Marvel has attempted before, the sitcom feel totally works with the odd couple relationship Wanda and Vis have. I'm really intrigued as to where things are going. I can see a lot of people either not getting it or getting frustrated with the weekly spread out of the episodes like with The Mandalorian though

10 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

It's unlike anything Marvel has attempted before, the sitcom feel totally works with the odd couple relationship Wanda and Vis have. I'm really intrigued as to where things are going. I can see a lot of people either not getting it or getting frustrated with the weekly spread out of the episodes like with The Mandalorian though

I love the wait. Especially for a show like this. It deserves the time for people to discuss it and analyse it and try to anticipate what's happening next. You wouldn't get any of that with a binge set up. Some people just don't want to wait these days though.

It's funny hearing other people had the same split in their households, with me thinking it was REALLY good, and wife finding it annoying and wanting to know what's going on.

Paul Bettany Having A Lovely Time is fantastic - him walking up then down the bandstand steps was pure van Dyke. I did laugh at Vision's job in Computational Services, as that's exactly how I feel in my job most days. Some of the jokes are actually really funny, the switch to contemporary filming when reality starts to come apart is genuinely creepy, and Olsen in a sequined one-piece, long gloves and a top hat went straight in the bank.

I preferred the first episode over the second, maybe because both us and the characters were new to the scenario so things were a bit more earnest, but that may be the point. I think the idea is that each episode will get progressively less welcoming. Vision's aggression during the impromptu card trick felt really jarring. Some reviewers have complained about both eps apparently retreading each other, but when each episode is only 25-30 minutes and not a full hour, that's not a problem for me, and the actual differences were subtle but significant.

I've seen the trailers, so I know there's more of the non-sitcom world on the way, but not how it all fits together, so I'm sold. What's especially great is how, despite being bit players with an unexplored background storyline necessitating some big jumps in their MCU angle, Wanda and Vision are totally convincing as a couple. But then, is that another misdirect? Gah! Roll on next Friday.

Edited by CavemanLynn

I asked my wife last night if she wanted to watch it and she asked what it was about and who was in it. I got a response of 'Vision? He's everything that's wrong with the Avengers' and walked off. So I'm quite glad I ended up watching it alone. I don't think she would've enjoyed the style of it either.

I usually go to the cinema and watch the Marvel movies with my mum. It's become quite the tradition. So I'm waiting for a message from her to ask what the fuck all that is about because I just know she's not going to have a damn clue.

12 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

and Olsen in a sequined one-piece, long gloves and a top hat went straight in the bank.

You seen the Old Boy remake? There’s a scene with her in it that you could put in the bank and retire on. Just promise me you’ll watch it all the way to the end when your finished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I think episode 4 was perfectly placed. Because it’s explained wtf has happened with the first few episodes really well. I know a few people willing to write it off after the first 2, so for those who have stuck with it it’s paying off. I loved it, but I also missed the nostalgic sitcom which I hope we’ll get back to next week. The line about 

Spoiler

The universe made a sitcom staring 2 avengers

Was great though

• Paid Members

I'm really enjoying it. Thought the opening to this weeks episode with everybody reappearing from the blip was really well done, and Darcy and Agent Woo teaming up made me smile. Like when two jobbers in the Attitude era would team up and make it work. 

Is there going to be a big bad behind it manipulating events, do we think, or is it all just a grief-stricken Wanda's doing?

Edited by Lorne Malvo

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I'm assuming those that hate Wandavision didn't get on with Legion either? I'll give it a whirl as I've seen the "right" people praising it.

It’s still not as mad as Legion to be fair but I did draw similar comparisons in as much as mainstream super hero things being a bit mental and not aimed at the usual audience.