Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

Alan Moore, not seen a cape film in 30 years but links them to Brexit and Trump. Something about an old man shouting at a cloud etc. He’s not wrong about them being escapist kids films like but let people like what they want to like dammit!

Careful. That's some people's biggest personality trait, hating them.

• Paid Members

Probably because of all the botched attempts at adapting his deliberately hard to adapt comic works as movies. It'll have left a sour taste in his mouth. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Probably because of all the botched attempts at adapting his deliberately hard to adapt comic works as movies. It'll have left a sour taste in his mouth. 

Watchmen was a perfectly fine adaption. Less said about the others granted. But he's always come across like a bitter old git, even before he was one.

The Watchmen tv series was brilliant and features huge cock so fills the bingo card for what I’m after from tv entertainment. One of the best shows I’ve watched this year.

Not far behind that was the second series of The Boys. Really strong second outing and even though it was a little too neat and convenient at the end it sets up the next couple of series nicely. Homelander is so great, some of the best eye acting around. I wonder if he bases any of his characteristics on Vinnie Mc because that last scene with him is exactly how I imagine him spending his nights at Titan Towers.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Watchmen was a perfectly fine adaption. Less said about the others granted. But he's always come across like a bitter old git, even before he was one.

I thought watchmen was alright. A few years back a friend and I tried writing a treatment for a TV series which would have been more like the issues of the comic series, where 30 minutes was the story part, and then the article from the back of the issue was presented in the style of a little documentary for the last 10.

We thought it'd help keep us fired up for our Chuckle Brothers cop drama idea. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Awards Moderator
22 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Alan Moore doesn't like superhero movies? He's never mentioned it!

I've not watched it since it first came out but I remember thinking the film version of Watchmen had a much more satisfying ending than Moore's comic.

I rewatched the Watchmen film a couple of months ago, and I’ve never had the scales fall from my eyes to such an extent before. I used to think it was great; I used to prefer the film’s ending. It might not have helped that I’d only just re-read the book, and had the series fresh in my mind, but Snyder’s Watchmen is Not Good At All.

Everything that should deftly handled is clumsy as hell, it misses the point of the book so completely it’s hard to fathom, and even the little things grated on me, like the overexaggerated ridiculous punching sounds in the fight scenes.

If I hadn’t rewatched it recently I’d have been defending it too. Like I said, I used to think it was great. But I’ve seen it for what it is. A great opening titles sequence with hours of disappointment around it.

• Paid Members

The finale of the Boys was great, if anything it had too much going on and some of the big happenings of the series could have been spread out a bit more.

Spoiler

It's a minor thing but I would've liked Stormfront's downfall to have been given a bit more breathing room as her being outed and killed happened in the space of a few minutes.

Would have been nice for her to really feel the public turn on her fully before the end. Really liked how it all played out though.

Homelander's wank was brilliant. I'm glad he didn't become a Nazi pawn and I can only imagine what he'll get up to next.

I love The Deep, he cracks me up.

With Homelander and Stormfront I was really hoping for 

Spoiler

A big public outing with Stormfront showing her true colours and telling everyone how they don’t need them before Homelander rips her head off because he’d much rather have public adoration than anything else.

With more adult, edgier comics getting TV adaptations like Preacher, Watchmen and The Boys what do we think might come next? Gideon Falls is underway and that's still suprising to me being such a recent story.

I'm surprised there have been no rumblings of Transmetropolitan for the longest time.