Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

They waited till he left, handed over the movie to Joss under the mandate to reshoot most of it and make it very funny. They chopped up his movie added the awful reshoots then chucked it out as synders vision.  Then claimed they didn’t do it. Dc Warner are currently investigating some serous allegations levelled by the cast during the reshoots. 

Anything with cavills odd lip is a reshoot, the Russian family are reshoots, Barry landing on Diana all the silly stuff 

As for man of steel and bvs, I liked man of steel and bvs extended was great. 

There was rumours floating around well before he stepped down that they had sacked him off and there wasn't any waiting till he left involved before studio tinkering started. BvS massively underperformed and was a financial and critical disappointment and he started on Justice League while all that was happening. I'd be shocked if he wasnt fired long before he publically stepped away after the terrible family stuff. 

My biggest concern at the minute is that he really has no idea how to pace and structure a film and just films everything then figures it out in an edit (the sheer volume of footage filmed for Watchmen, BvS and Justice League speaks for itself) now he's not pacing a 4 hour film, but 4 hour long episodes I'm expecting the worst. Will it have episodic structure with actual pacing or will it be a full movie that just cuts to credits at the hour mark with a to be continued.

...basicially what I'm saying is I don't trust him to make a decent version. Just a different one. 

• Paid Members

It’s possible they would have fired him.  They tinkered with his film the refusal to let him use superman’s black suit etc. The whole sale butchery and reshoots happened after he was gone. Any tie ins to his future films where also removed so no more knightmare. 

Can he make it right? I’d hope so can it be worse ? No chance 

It’s really no shock affleck threw the towel in a quit only to return when the people responsible where gone.

The totally fucked over David Ayer to his film again was deemed to dark and recut by a trailer company . 

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members

I'm far more fascinated in watching Whedon and Snyder's versions and seeing the differences in approach, editing and writing than I am in watching either of the films for any other reason. Like, this is genuinely interesting film-making stuff, however it turns out. Although I also think it looks fucking terrible.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I'm far more fascinated in watching Whedon and Snyder's versions and seeing the differences in approach, editing and writing than I am in watching either of the films for any other reason. Like, this is genuinely interesting film-making stuff, however it turns out. Although I also think it looks fucking terrible.

That's totally my approach to it. The justice league film that was released will always stand as an oddity of a studio taking what they can, handing it to a jobbing director and cobbling enough together to release it but at the highest level of big budget cinema. I just want to see a couple of the scenes that are used in both with the colour grading and filmed elements and try and figure out exactly how much stuff they had to tinker with and change to frankenstein a film together. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, quote the raven said:

It’s possible they would have fired him.  They tinkered with his film the refusal to let him use superman’s black suit etc. The whole sale butchery and reshoots happened after he was gone. Any tie ins to his future films where also removed so no more knightmare. 

Can he make it right? I’d hope so can it be worse ? No chance 

It’s really no shock affleck threw the towel in a quit only to return when the people responsible where gone.

The totally fucked over David Ayer to his film again was deemed to dark and recut by a trailer company . 

David Ayer is a pretty average director. So I don’t think there was a decent cut of that movie. But like JL, I’d give it a watch out of curiosity.

But JL was an average film, better then BvS, more entertaining then MoS. It was a hatch it job, but Snyder has been outed as a hack and I will be laughing if he’s version ends up worse then the theatrical. A black suit isn’t enough if the film is still a mess. Those films are box office misfires. DCU’s biggest mistake was letting Snyder have reign over it. They wanted to compete with Marvel Studios. Instead they were competing with Marvel’s late 80’s and early 90’s movie output based on quality. I’m jazzed about The Batman because Snyder isn’t around it. The quicker he goes back to making stuff away from DC the better for all parties

• Paid Members

Ayers cut had a lot of joker mistreating Quinn which is why they cut a lot of it. The studio panicked after bvs didn’t make a billion. Ayers been quite vocal on his Twitter about them trying to cut the harshness out and replace it with laughs. 

Justice league was a total abomination of a movie I’m my view.  Joss had a mandate to make it funny and did what he was told the result was totally out of context with what came before it. 

Synder has his haters, I’m not one of them I’m quite confident I will love his JL. But then I liked mos and loved bvs extended. 

Edited by quote the raven

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

You sadist.

Watch them back to back and live stream it.

Watched X-Men Dark Phoenix earlier as it had gone up on Disney Plus on Friday (oddly they've not put up Apocalypse and Logan yet, both of which came before Dark Phoenix). What an utter pile of shite, Fox learned nothing from the last time they tried to adapt the Phoenix Saga. The series most certainly peaked with the first film (even though I've never been a fan of it)

Venom goes up on Netflix on Friday I believe, heard mixed things about it but been curious to check it out 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

The series most certainly peaked with the first film (even though I've never been a fan of it) 

X-Men 2, Logan and X-Men First Class are are far and away better than X-Men it's not even close.

I thought Dark Pheonix was meh. Slightly better than Last Stand but pretty uninteresting. But loses point for not having Vinnie Jones hilarious 'I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch!'.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I didn't bother with dark Phoenix and never will, but despite the terrible reviews of Venom I am almost certainly going to end up watching it once it's on Netflix.

If you've ever loved the character of Venom, there are issues. But if you take it as a comedic but violent take on it, then it's alright actually. Almost Jim Carrey like at parts 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I didn't bother with dark Phoenix and never will, but despite the terrible reviews of Venom I am almost certainly going to end up watching it once it's on Netflix.

The best Venom film of last year was Upgrade. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, quote the raven said:

David Ayer is one of the worst filmmakers in Hollywood right now so I'd trust any changes they made to his film immediately improved it.