Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Looks interesting. Nice snippets of Wanda in her traditional Scarlet Witch costume, and Vision in his old school costume as well. Was that Yeardly Smith as well during the "Dick Van Dyke show" segment? 

I think that was Debra Jo Rupp from Friends and That 70’s Show

• Paid Members
On 9/21/2020 at 9:03 PM, ColinBollocks said:

During lockdown, I watched Iron Man 3 again. It's one of the few Marvel films that still holds up during repeat viewings, and there aren't any better than it.

tony stark marvel GIF

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

If you don't think The Mandarin reveal is one of the high point of Marvel then you are a Gove-level arse.

I’m not saying it’s as dreadful as some do and I’d probably watch it again, but saying there aren’t better MCU movies is akin to putting Origins : Wolverine in your top 3 X-Men movies. Not for me, Clive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Still trotting through the MCU. I appear to have missed Spider-Man Homecoming on Netflix by a matter of days, which is annoying.

Really enjoyed Civil War, which could have been called an Avengers movie, but I totally understand why it's a Captain America movie.

Doctor Strange was an interesting one. Cumberbatch looks great as Strange. The multiverse stuff could prove fascinating. 

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 was a heck of a romp. I'm glad they've brought back James Gun for the third one. 

Thor Ragnarok was a highly entertaining one. The action comedy direction was a big change from the previous one, and works. The score and soundtrack are good too. 

19 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Thor Ragnarok was a highly entertaining one. The action comedy direction was a big change from the previous one, and works. The score and soundtrack are good too. 

Every time I watch this I'm still blown away at how different it is. I never would've imagined in a million years when watching Thor that we could end up with a movie like Ragnarok. And certainly not when I've watched Thor 2 which I think gets worse with every watch for me. 

• Paid Members

I also enjoy Ragnarok for being different. I've complained plenty on here about the marvel movies feeling like episodes of a big tv show so it felt pretty fresh, I love Hulk so also enjoyed all his bits and it was funny when they showed his arse. Probably find Thor himself a bit too stupid and comedic on rewatches of it though. 

Taika Waikiki said the following about the next Thor film; Love and Thunder which made me cringe a bit.

“It’s so over the top now in the very best way. It makes ‘Ragnarok’ seem like a really run of the mill, very safe film… this new film feels like we asked a bunch of 10 year olds what should be in a movie and just said yes to everything.” 

I really enjoyed Ragnarok but it’s only really different for a Marvel film. Same as Guardians. They’re all different flavours of the same brand of ice cream. I can’t ever see them taking any major risks unless you count putting women or non white people in prominent roles which you definitely shouldn’t. It’d be quite interesting to see how they’d handle a side category of films that don’t affect the overall universe like DC have reverted to doing.

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I really enjoyed Ragnarok but it’s only really different for a Marvel film. Same as Guardians. They’re all different flavours of the same brand of ice cream. I can’t ever see them taking any major risks unless you count putting women or non white people in prominent roles which you definitely shouldn’t. It’d be quite interesting to see how they’d handle a side category of films that don’t affect the overall universe like DC have reverted to doing.

Depends what you consider a major risk really. Arguably Guardians was a major risk because that was so unknown at the time. I get what you're saying re: 'different flavours' but it's nice that they're able to switch genres around and play within the superhero world, but that's always going to be the base of the ice cream isn't it. I think they'll stretch out as much as they can with diverse casting and different genres etc but it's the MCU - I don't think they're suddenly going to throw a hardcore paedophilia story in there or anything.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Factotum said:

I think had GUARDIANS come out before Edgar Wright left ANT MAN, they would have let Wright do what the hell he wanted on that film. 

Oh 100%. I want to hate Ant-Man purely based on this whole situation, but it's hard to. But I wish they could coax him back. We saw with Scott Pilgrim he can translate a comic to the big screen.

In other news, Dune has been bumped to October 1st 2021 and now The Batman has moved to March of 2022.

Batman has had production delays already, so I think it would’ve been pushed back regardless. Matrix 4 has been brought forward to December 2021, taking the slot of Black Adam which has been taken off the schedule completely, so fuck knows when/if that’ll see the light of day

Edited by WyattSheepMask