Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Wonder Woman (2017) 

Rewatched this for the first time before the new one and it's even better than I remember, 10/10.

Wonder Woman 1984  (pirate)

This was my most anticipated film for ages and I really thought they'd ace it, there's a fair bit to enjoy but it's very flawed. I thought I'd be the last person to complain a film was too fantastical but the main plot was some fucking nonsense. 

I still think Gal is an amazing Wonder Woman and I enjoyed Kirsten Wiig a lot, I just wish the film had been a bit tighter, they certainly had long enough to tweak it seeing as it's been ready to release for a year.

Spoiler

One thing I truly hated was Steve being in a different guy's body, genuinely have no idea why they did that, it was such an incredibly strange choice.

Agree with neil, just absolute trash.

Two and a half hours of tediously bland scripting, truly awful CGI, villians no one couldn’t give a fuck about and making your supposed ‘badass’ female lead nothing more than a love-struck damsel in distress.

Supposedly, you can instantly just learn to fly a fighter jet. Said jet is definitely quiet enough to have whisper-like conversations and can also seemingly coast at 30mph through some pretty fireworks because visualism...

Why go out of your way to have a film set in the 80’s and use pretty much no music throughout the film?

First time in a long time I’ve actually been angry after watching a film. The amount of time they’ve had to work on this due to multiple delays and this shit is the best they can put out?

Seeing a lot of discussion online about a potential DC multiverse.

Now I'm no Marvel fanboy but I'm pretty excited about the potential for the multiverse stuff there as I feel like they've earned their way there over the past however many years.

DC however? They haven't even mastered one universe let alone both. Well, in the film world anyway. It worked pretty well in the TV shows but again they did really build that up over the years.

Just feels like another 'lets see what we can throw out there to make things work' deal rather than a logical move.

20 minutes ago, Duke said:

Isn't the DC multiverse already canon after Crisis on Infinite Earths on the TV

Oh yeah it definitely is. And I think the Flash will deal with that stuff. There's just some weird shit floating around about multiple Batman movies and other rumours which is going to get pretty messy I think if they go with it.

10 minutes ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

Can someone recommend me the best cartoon comic book movies? I recently watched The Death Of Superman and really enjoyed it and want to explore more of the genre. 

Any of the Batman ones, Under The Red Hood and Year One in particular, there's a few decent Justice League ones as well including an adaptation of the Flashpoint storyline

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

Can someone recommend me the best cartoon comic book movies? I recently watched The Death Of Superman and really enjoyed it and want to explore more of the genre. 

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - part of the Animated Batman series. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

I enjoyed Superman: Red Son. There are others too. Like Justice League Doom.

Transformers The Movie is also worth tracking down.

https://vocal.media/geeks/chronological-order-to-watch-dc-animated-movies

There's a list of the DC movies. Most of them are pretty good. Batman and Robin is fun if you're a fan of the original  Batman TV series.

Edited by BigJag