Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

The person that's going to be happiest with what a mess the Snyder cut of Justice League is shaping up to be is probably Joss Whedon. God knows he wants something to distract attention away from him at the moment... 

• Paid Members

The Justice League hype does feel very "Cesaro for World Champion! PG Sux!!" to me.

I thought the Whedon version was shit but the idea that it was BECAUSE of Whedon, and that Snyder's version would somehow be an amazing movie that would justify a re-release, always seemed kind of stupid. The biggest problems were story and characters. Given their track records, that's far more likely to be down to Snyder than Whedon. You're certainly not going to fix it just by making it longer and giving it an R-Rating anyway.

As if to prove that point, the new WandaVision was half an hour long and on Disney Plus and it was amazing.

If it's true that this only has half hour of footage from the original in it, it's obvious they're trying to just make a whole new film, and pretending it was the original film in the first place, if it works out and actually is a decent film at least. No way that the original release had that little in it that was intended. The random "fuck it, throw in Joker!" is typically DC though, "things aren't working out we need to get peoples attention, I know JOKER!"

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, lanky316 said:

If it's true that this only has half hour of footage from the original in it, it's obvious they're trying to just make a whole new film, and pretending it was the original film in the first place, if it works out and actually is a decent film at least. No way that the original release had that little in it that was intended. The random "fuck it, throw in Joker!" is typically DC though, "things aren't working out we need to get peoples attention, I know JOKER!"

Anything with superman and lip was added most of batman was rewritten.  The studio butchered it, he didn’t have the actors to be able to film an extra 3 hours of movie. 

He’s filmed an extra 10 minutes apparently. The joker nightmare stuff. 

If it falls on its arse it’s all on him this time he’s said he’s made zero compromises.

Edited by quote the raven

7 hours ago, lanky316 said:

This is what got me about it. Everyone banged on about ‘The Snyder Cut’ as if it actually existed and was just locked away in a draw at Warner Bros. If he’s had to redo a tonne of scenes, either CGI or reshoots or whatever, that’s not an alternate cut to his supposed finished film, that’s making a different film.

The best thing about it will be the people pretending it’s some sort of masterpiece because they can’t bring themselves to admit to its faults

Edited by WyattSheepMask

From what I remember, wasnt it a case of Snyder having a rough cut of the movie done, then the execs shit their pants when they watched it and ordered Whedon to completley redo it. Whedon essentially filmed a new film with the reshoots he did, therefore what is coming out next month isnt a bunch of new reshoots or new scenes, but pretty much the original film he intended with actually finished CGI and edits. Think thats the story.

I actually watched Justice League the other night. If the main plot of the new one is still 'villan we have never seen before needs to find three boxes for the destruction of the world', nothing he can do can make that any good.

• Paid Members

Dai is correct. He shot all his movie before WB shit themselves this tied in with synders daughter killing herself. He walked away before the vfx and score where done. 

I think he got a few of the crew for 5 days to add the nightmare scenes in. Leto filmed it from London. 

WB brought in joss and told him to lighten it up. The result was he reshot a lot of the movie. Cavill was filming mission impossible and refused to shave his moustache hence the awful lip superman. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, quote the raven said:

Cavill was filming mission impossible and refused to shave his moustache hence the awful lip superman. 

Literally wasn’t able to due to his contract with paramount.

Maybe there is a reason WB shit the bed? I mean his films were costing more and more and making less and we’re getting slagged off. It could be they saw his cut and thought they were fucked. Time will tell, but I imagine Snyders cut will be what was expected and will be worse then Whedon’s attempt. I hope for you I’m wrong 

11 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Maybe there is a reason WB shit the bed? I mean his films were costing more and more and making less and we’re getting slagged off. It could be they saw his cut and thought they were fucked. Time will tell, but I imagine Snyders cut will be what was expected and will be worse then Whedon’s attempt. I hope for you I’m wrong 

Which makes you wonder why WB kept him around. Between 2006 and 2013, or 300 and Man of Steel if you will, he made three films, none of which grossed over $200million worldwide. 
Watchmen flopped when you factor in marketing budget, Legend of the Guardians probably made a small profit, and Sucker Punch again flopped after taking marketing into account.

Anyone else would’ve been send packing after such a poor run, but he’d somehow built this aura that for one reason or another has made him indispensable. Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman both made a lot of money, but probably only did so because comic book movies had become the in thing rather than being good movies. MoS I can’t really comment on (other than being the loudest film I’ve ever sat through in the cinema) because I’ve only seen it the once when it came, but BvsS I tried a couple of times with, both theatrical and alternate cuts, and it’s just a disaster of a film.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

They bottled it due to reaction from Batman vs Superman being to dark, my guess is this will follow the same tone.  So they attempted to make it more marvel Disney like. The tone from BVS to justice league is blindingly different.

The book is on amazon pre order if anyone is interested. Although it seems to be from a synder fan so i doubt it will be a true account.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Release-Snyder-Cut-Snyders-Justice/dp/1493059033/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1613218349&refinements=p_27%3AO'Connell+Sean&s=books&sr=1-1&text=O'Connell+Sean

The only thing more annoying than the pro Snyder crowd is the anti Snyder crowd. We get it, you don't like him. I'm not a huge fan either, But I'm excited to see what its like. Can't be worse than that turd that fake feminist twat Whedon put out. 

And damn son, Darkseid is looking goooood. spacer.png

Edited by TomJones233

32 minutes ago, TomJones233 said:

The only thing more annoying than the pro Snyder crowd is the anti Snyder crowd. We get it, you don't like him. I'm not a huge fan either, But I'm excited to see what its like. Can't be worse than that turd that fake feminist twat Whedon put out.

I wouldn’t say that I’m anti-Snyder, all I’m saying is that his track record certainly doesn’t lineup with this supposed pedigree that some seem to think he has. I’ve liked stuff that he’s done and I’ve hated stuff that he’s done too.