Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

I think both Falcon and Loki should be decent. They're keeping them to reasonable lengths so they should be able to tell fairly tight stories without outstaying their welcome, plus just enough to keep them connected to future projects too. I do consider the quality control at Marvel to be very high all things considered. I think Falcon and Loki will please people that were a bit put off by WandaVision and its more out there approach.

Falcon and Winter Soldier feels really generic at the moment, and as much as they can say it's a buddy cop action thriller, I often feel like the only MCU nerd who sees absolutely no chemistry between Bucky and Sam. The hype is "lol look at these guys, they hate each other but dammit they get results, such banter, much bickering, wow", but I don't see any wit or spark so far; it's just being annoying to each other with no punch line. It'll be well made and entertaining, sure, but of the current phase, it's the show that feels the most like it's just there for connective tissue.

Loki feels similar, but has Hiddleston's charisma to carry it, and some good comic timing in the promos.

This phase seems to be splitting off into different routes, the mystic side with the multiverse stuff, and the scifi thriller stuff with the Skrulls. It'll be intriguing to see if/how Marvel tie them into one end narrative, or even if this is the start of the MCU diverging into different unrelated arcs instead of culminating in one tent pole event.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Reviews seem all over the place at the minute, all seem to agree its better than the previous release though (which is a very low bar) 

From what I can gather if you liked his last ones youll like this. If you dislike what he's done, this will probably infuriate you. 

In a surprise to no one the pacing of it is being slammed. A superhero movie being longer than Gone with the wind and Lawrence of Arabia! It's madness. 

• Paid Members

Its sitting at 78% on RT critics review which considering Man of steel hit 56 and bvs 28 seems to say it appeals to a greater audience. 

Regardless i am a huge dc mark so i will probably going to enjoy it. The bigger question is what on earth happens moving forward if its proved WB shit the bed when they hacked this movie to bits. Snyder has said it ends on a massive cliff hanger would they or HBO max fund the other 2 movies?

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Its sitting at 78% on RT critics review which considering Man of steel hit 56 and bvs 28 seems to say it appeals to a greater audience. 

A four-hour remake of a movie that the audience has already seen is unlikely to appeal to a greater audience. It's a really odd one to review, because it's not often you get a movie that isn't standing by itself, but it specifically being compared to a worse version that's already been panned. 

As a result, I do think this is being reviewed more along the lines of 'does this achieve what the audience wanted it to achieve' rather than 'will general audiences enjoy this'. And whichever way, I genuinely suspect if it had come out in 2017 as a four-hour sequel to Batman vs Superman, it would have been panned as being over-long and over-indulgent. I think there have been a bunch of factors though that have made people more well-disposed to it at the moment. I still don't see a large percentage of the audience interested in spending more time with it though.

That said, with 2020/2021 being such a weird time, blockbuster-wise, it could seriously over-perform due to a lack of new superhero movies. I'm far more interested than I was, partly because I'm a geek over both superhero stuff and film-making, so I'm fascinated to see how this differs.

Edited by Chris B

55 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

The bigger question is what on earth happens moving forward if its proved WB shit the bed when they hacked this movie to bits. 

By all accounts it’s a better version of a bad film but it cost £40m and an extra two hours of run time to do that. I don’t think it will be any indication of a new/different direction for WB. Joker will have done enough to convince them that single narrative stand alone films in the same universe are the way forward.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

By all accounts it’s a better version of a bad film but it cost £40m and an extra two hours of run time to do that. I don’t think it will be any indication of a new/different direction for WB. Joker will have done enough to convince them that single narrative stand alone films in the same universe are the way forward.

And the rest. they've announced an extra $70m was spent and I'd be shocked if it hasn't cost more than that with the amount of advertising online they've had. The $70m figure is very noticeable because if it was even slightly over that it would become the most expensive movie ever made

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, quote the raven said:

Regardless i am a huge dc mark so i will probably going to enjoy it. The bigger question is what on earth happens moving forward if its proved WB shit the bed when they hacked this movie to bits. Snyder has said it ends on a massive cliff hanger would they or HBO max fund the other 2 movies?

It’s not cannon. It’s not making any money because it’s going straight to streaming. This is pure fan service. The reviews have been it’s better then what they released. I hope you enjoy it, but it won’t lead to anything.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s not cannon. It’s not making any money because it’s going straight to streaming. This is pure fan service. The reviews have been it’s better then what they released. I hope you enjoy it, but it won’t lead to anything.

Depends how you take the flash casting Kiersey Clemons as iris west someone who only appears in the synder cut. But then it’s the multiverse so I guess she could be from another earth. 

Edited by quote the raven