Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

WB have made the decision since JUSTICE LEAGUE to now make their DC films director driven and no longer fit into a shared universe type like Marvel. The huge success of Joker was the first step on this. You have a James Gunn SUICIDE SQUAD and a Matt Reeves BATMAN coming out. Their aim is basically be the place where Directors can do what they want with their characters rather than have to fit into the Marvel tone and Universe. If done well, it'll be great. DC should focus on being the sort of ONE SHOT or 12 issue run type.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yes it does, which made it even funnier when Marvel fans moaned about their films not being taken seriously, so when Marty took them seriously and pointed out they aren’t special or art, they didn’t like it. 

I guess that's one way to look at it. The other being that what he was saying basically means that all studio films aren't art or special. Which is bollocks IMO. But I agree anyone that gets mad at an opinion of a film is funny and daft. If a film is good it's special doesn't really matter how it got made. (and art is subjective but we already had that argument)

To clarify, by “Special” I meant unique, not good. Marvel films are very much cookie cutter films as much as all blockbusters are, even more so in fact. On the flip side I think it shows how “Old School” and a dying breed Scorsese is, as there is no way a studio would’ve shelled out that budget for a film like The Irishman and in my opinion that will be to the detriment of cinema. 
But yeah, Snyder is shite. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

To clarify, by “Special” I meant unique, not good. Marvel films are very much cookie cutter films as much as all blockbusters are, even more so in fact. On the flip side I think it shows how “Old School” and a dying breed Scorsese is, as there is no way a studio would’ve shelled out that budget for a film like The Irishman and in my opinion that will be to the detriment of cinema. 
But yeah, Snyder is shite. 

Are well yeah fair enough unique, I'm with you. But I'd argue they are unique in so much as they are the only studio to nail that particular formula and do it so well and successfully repeatedly.

Re Scorsese as a dying breed. I'm not so sure. I think it's cyclical. Auteurs will always have a successful place in film but I'd suggest maybe less so in actual cinemas. Which of course is a shame as a cinema is still the best place to see a film IMO.

More Wandavision thoughts: 

Every episode ends far too quickly for my liking and each episode still doesn't give much away which is great but considering the number of episodes left I'm worried there's going to be more unanswered questions...

The credits take up a third of the episode which doesn't bode well for future series (Kenobi)

Will there be a second series? 

• Paid Members

Apparently Snyder's Justice League is going to have a 1.37:1 aspect ratio. Strikes me as utterly bizarre. The whole world has widescreen TV's now, why the hell you would shoot a film not just ignoring that but actively fighting against it in favour of the old school 4:3.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

I'm sure they'll be some marketing answer that it is to evoke memories of Adam West, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just so they don't get Pepsi Challenged.  By making them visually distinctive in such a severe way it saves a ton of gotcha YouTube videos.  "These people said they loved the new Snyder Cut clips we showed them, but actually they were from the original" sort of thing.

I've seen a YouTube clip where he claims he's done it because he wanted to shoot the whole thing for IMAX and that because superheroes are a more vertical presence than horizontal bar maybe superman flying he thinks it suits them better in that ratio. Bunch of arse if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Wandavision talk has died off, but it's over now and the dust will settle.

Overall I thought it was a very good series, not great. It did have absolute moments of greatness, but combined I thought it lacked a little. They stuck the landing as best they could, but it could have been smoother. The fact there is no season 2, and it leaves questions which will remain unanswered until the next Dr Strange movie next year.

When it was great it was great though, and I thought the story of love and loss was a welcome change from the usual MCU fair. However

Spoiler

The fact that the whole Quicksilver thing became another Trevor in Iron Man 3 situation was a terrible red herring of a story

What did you think?

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Awards Moderator
33 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The Wandavision talk has died off, but it's over now and the dust will settle.

Overall I thought it was a very good series, not great. It did have absolute moments of greatness, but combined I thought it lacked a little. They stuck the landing as best they could, but it could have been smoother. The fact there is no season 2, and it leaves questions which will remain unanswered until the next Dr Strange movie next year.

When it was great it was great though, and I thought the story of love and loss was a welcome change from the usual MCU fair. However

Hide contents

The fact that the whole Quicksilver thing became another Trevor in Iron Man 3 situation was a terrible red herring of a story

What did you think?

I really enjoyed it overall, though I was much more into the mysterious sitcom-pastiche of the early episode than the latter few episodes.

Spoiler

My wife and I both expected the finale would have a lot of standard CG-CG-smashy-smashy and were not wrong on that. 

Vision has grown on me as a character every time he's appeared and the series I think has cemented him as one of my new favourites. 

There was something to love in every episode, whether it was the outright weirdness of the early ones, or some lovely lines and moments in the latter ones.

As for the thing in your spoiler tag,

Spoiler

GOOD. I don't want the shitty world of X-Men Apocalypse populating my MCU, thank you very much. They were setting themselves up for some fans to be disappointed by doing it, but the series was about Wanda and remained about her which was the right move. Also the Trevor Slattery thing was amazing and I'll not hear a bad word said against the toast of Croydon.

• Moderators
Spoiler

Marvel can only get away with that once before completely losing the audience's trust; knowingly filling the shows with little teases about stuff that ends up not happening at all, just to generate discussion.

Take away all the speculation about merging with the Fox Multiverse, appearances from Reed Richards or Mephisto, and interviews with the cast where they're teasing a mind-blowing cameo (bigger than the one in the Mandalorian finale) that would have to be Magneto or something equally shocking, and that's most of the Wandavision conversation gone. I didn't hate it, it was servicable, mostly because of the short length, but I wasn't super into the show until Evan Peters showed up, because it seemed like they were going somewhere really interesting. Nope, just a dick joke. What the fuck were they thinking?

Wandavision discussion obviously ^

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I really enjoyed it overall, though I was much more into the mysterious sitcom-pastiche of the early episode than the latter few episodes.

Reveal hidden contents

My wife and I both expected the finale would have a lot of standard CG-CG-smashy-smashy and were not wrong on that. 

Vision has grown on me as a character every time he's appeared and the series I think has cemented him as one of my new favourites. 

There was something to love in every episode, whether it was the outright weirdness of the early ones, or some lovely lines and moments in the latter ones.

As for the thing in your spoiler tag,

Reveal hidden contents

GOOD. I don't want the shitty world of X-Men Apocalypse populating my MCU, thank you very much. They were setting themselves up for some fans to be disappointed by doing it, but the series was about Wanda and remained about her which was the right move. Also the Trevor Slattery thing was amazing and I'll not hear a bad word said against the toast of Croydon.

Don't get me wrong 

Spoiler

I am a big fan of Iron Man 3 and especially the twist. But repeating it, again, and worse, is just naff. 

Agree with you. Wanda and Vision were proper side characters, but they have just become excellent, fleshed out characters

• Paid Members

They really underestimated the rampant fan speculation building week by week and paid for it. It was basically the lead up to every Royal Rumble ever.

The huge cameo thing wasn't really their fault, it was the internet at it's worst. Someone asked if there will be a Skywalker level cameo and I think the reply was "Theres some great surprises" which led to OMG, X MEN confirmed!!!?!!!! And then Paul Bettany decided to be a wonderful prick about it and stir the pot. Top man!

Overall, I liked it. It was always going to end with a big CGI fight...its a Marvel film. Some nice, touching moments though and added something to a couple of characters that never really got any development.

Couple of bits that pissed me off.

Spoiler

I didn't like it when they did it with Mandarin and I didn't like it in this. That'll get a lot of backlash and they'll probably end up explaining it with a ret-con but a lot of build up for a dick joke.

Vision has enough time to get a lovely sweater vest on and piss around with lamps but doesn't bother mentioning to her that the other Vision is still around and might be an alright bloke.

What a cockblocking prick 

Edited by chokeout