Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

Paul Bettany NOT Having a Lovely Time is just as good if not better than Paul Bettany Having a Lovely Time.

The argument over the credits was absolutely brilliant. Not only are they playing with the format in the anomaly, but outisde too, and none of it feels to a wanky oh-aren't-we-clever effect. Every episode peels back a little bit more to reveal something else horrible, and every time they answer one question, it asks a couple more, but all in a fun way. The closing reveal absolutely did me. I burst out laughing and the wife had no idea why.

The rest of their Disney+ output is going to look seriously bland after this.

The big cameo is still to come. Lots of rumours, of course. To be honest, I'll be disappointed if it's someone from an existing franchise, even if it is a crossover, because that basically amounts to little more than a retcon rather than looking forward. My favourite theory is

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

apparently a secret, as I can't work spoilers on my phone.

• Paid Members

Been seeing the posts about the Joker from the “Snyder Cut”. Have all-new scenes been filmed for this version? Or is this just prerecorded stuff that’s getting reincorporated, and slowly being dripped out before the release?

And what’s the deal with the “new look” in the first place? Is Jared Leto playing two different versions of the same character, in the same universe?

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Been seeing the posts about the Joker from the “Snyder Cut”. Have all-new scenes been filmed for this version? Or is this just prerecorded stuff that’s getting reincorporated, and slowly being dripped out before the release?

And what’s the deal with the “new look” in the first place? Is Jared Leto playing two different versions of the same character, in the same universe?

There was a bunch of extra filming last year. Half the main cast have filmed new stuff. I figure Synder's been looking at the elements that flopped and spent the re-filming desperately trying to come up with something radically different enough in some scenes to justify a 'see, this is what I would have done all along' approach. It's like a fantasy booking session except they actually get to do something

Edited by Chris B

1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

Its a Knightmare. So Joker having long hair is because well no barbers in the end times.  And the tats being gone, Maybe he removed them himself or some shit to stop Batman from beating his head in, so he can help him beat Superman?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chris B said:

There was a bunch of extra filming last year. Half the main cast have filmed new stuff. I figure Synder's been looking at the elements that flopped and spent the re-filming desperately trying to come up with something radically different enough in some scenes to justify a 'see, this is what I would have done all along' approach. It's like a fantasy booking session except they actually get to do something

100% this. He's pitching it as his true vision and people are lapping it up when he's just throwing everything he can at it to tick boxes. It's getting close to being one of the most expensive films of all time when you add everything together and I have zero faith in the man.

I'm putting money on him throwing as many characters in as he can in, knowing it will never need to go anywhere. 

36 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I never watched the film before and won't watch this cut either, but nevertheless I'm fascinated by the stories of this whole carry on. Why on earth is anyone giving him the money to indulge this nonsense? Do they actually think they're going to turn a decent profit? Nuts. It all just seems mad.

There's a decent documentary in all of this I reckon.

• Paid Members

There is a book coming out that details all this madness. 

I’m super happy to see synder able to release the film he wanted. When the studio use the suicide of his daughter to rewrite his movie they also deserve every thing they get.

The film is 4 hours long. Using 30 mins of film seen in the first release. 

It will be very different how much better is yet to be seen. 

Edited by quote the raven

2 hours ago, quote the raven said:

The film is 4 hours long. Using 30 mins of film seen in the first release. 

2 and a half hours, if he ran any shot at normal speed.

2 hours 20 if he cut half the shots of characters frowning or shouting in slow motion into the middle distance, because neither Snyder nor Goyer can write dialogue.

This quote sums it up: "The cool thing about the scene is that it's Joker talking directly to Batman about Batman,” Snyder tells Vanity Fair. “It's Joker analysing Batman about who he is and what he is. That’s the thing I also felt like fans deserved from the DC Universe." So it's two characters enacting a fanboy argument. Rather than evoking it in a visual way, you know, like a film. It's one thing or the other - pretty pictures or #bigthemes -  and he's never married the two together with anything resembling a three-dimensional character, certainly not with anything he himself has created.

Snyder has his fanboys. I'm not one of them. The fanboys will lap this up. I'll pirate it out of curiosity, but like has already been said, the documentary of the making of Justice League would/will be infinitely more interesting and enjoyable than Snyder's overwrought, grey palette flip book.

1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

This quote sums it up: "The cool thing about the scene is that it's Joker talking directly to Batman about Batman,” Snyder tells Vanity Fair. “It's Joker analysing Batman about who he is and what he is."

So basically an am-dram version of the interview room scene from The Dark Knight then? Pass.

Edited by JimboDangerous
Spelling