Comic book movies II: the Richard Donner cut

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

Can someone recommend me the best cartoon comic book movies? I recently watched The Death Of Superman and really enjoyed it and want to explore more of the genre. 

Crisis on two earths is my favourite one they ever did but loads of them are really good including some already mentioned.

I think that's part of why I find the DC film stuff so frustrating. Their animated stuff has been great over the years. Even their TV output has been pretty okay overall. I know it's a bit teen drama-ish but they still managed to do decent crossovers and feature quite a lot of characters.

I still think it's just a lack of patience on their part and a misunderstanding of what has made Marvel so successful. They seem team ups and crossovers and whatever else and think that's just something to jump into without years of proper successful build up.

Marvel weren't able to throw out Guardians or Ant Man before winning over an audience to a point where the brand itself was the selling point. DC may be a big name but they've not managed to get that same respect and adulation in their recent comic book movie phase at all. I really wish they could as they have some fantastic characters and some great stories to pull from.

• Paid Members

WW84. I found the story less offensive then in the first one (hated the whole No Man Lands bit), but also far more bland and thought the actual ending with the wishes to just be a load of nonsense. Can’t wait to see Patty Jenkins make a boring Star Wars film now before completing this trilogy.

• Awards Moderator
20 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Has anyone managed to get HBO Max in the UK? Wouldn’t mind seeing WW1984 and a few other things they have if it’s possible

Most of their TV stuff ends up on Sky/Now TV, WW84 is supposed to be heading to PVOD on the 13th January - I assume from most streaming stores rather than one in particular.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
41 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So which category has Wandavision fallen into? Is it the “OMG~! THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!” one or “This isn’t how I imagined it would be, Fuck Disney and death to the writers!” one

I loved it, but I enjoy old B&W comedy stuff anyway. Its, up to now, fun and warm, with an undercurrent of nods to the overarching story.

44 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So which category has Wandavision fallen into? Is it the “OMG~! THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!” one or “This isn’t how I imagined it would be, Fuck Disney and death to the writers!” one

Neither of these really describe it. It is a perfectly acceptable, intriguing enough first couple of episodes without being anything all that outstanding. The potential is there and we will have to see what they deliver over the next few episodes.

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed Wandavision. Wife didn’t because it wasn’t explaing anything. I loved the way they captured the 50’s/60’s sitcoms and can wait for the 80’s to be honest. It’s insane, but the level of commitment to the periods they were doing was great (and the little touches like the house being different in each episode were great). Excited to see where it goes

• Paid Members

The two things that struck me about Wandavision

1) the attention to detail in how they've made it is amazing, not just for the set design or the costumes but fixed camera style for the first episode, the pacing and Paul Bettany absolutely smashing the sitcom delivery in the 2nd episode. 

2) they haven't paced it like a netflix or streaming TV show. They didn't lay out what was happening and set up the new series and introduce the characters and have a payoff. The first episode had none of that. Compare it to one of the netflix marvel shows (I know, I know!) or, more relevent, The Mandolorian and its insane at how they've structured it, not just in the pacing and lack of explanation, but in the fact that it's weekly and you can't just blitz through it to get some answers. 

It's left me wanting to watch episode 3 straight away, so I'm taking that as a positive.