Wrestling Newz

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, AshC said:

Is it just me that thinks WWE have a point about all this? If Raquel off Corrie was going on tinterweb in full gimmick, jiggling and freestyling, ITV would be having a word right away. The way the company is being portrayed over this seems well over the top.y

They have credits, so she would be able to do more with her brand as Sarah Lancashire. In the same way pretty much every other type of acting has credits. Also, if she goes to do a signing for ITV, or interviews, she's there as Sarah Lancashire. So she'd have less of an issue going out under her own brand, because it's mutually beneficial. That's not the case in wrestling generally and WWE very specifically.

Edited by Chris B

I agree if you are part of a company as a character you can’t do external stuff, it has recently happened with a Coronation St character actually. However the difference for me is that in WWE they seemed to be hire as independent contractors with no union or protection. Which is fine if that’s how WWE want to do it, but then you have to treat your staff as independent contractors. It seems WWE wants all the loyalty and benefits of a person being a contracted staff member but with none of the perks or commitment on WWEs side. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, poetofthedeed said:

If he's got legal status through his marriage though, he should shit on vinces desk as he quits. 

Some preconceived ideas about the Dutch coming through there.

• Paid Members

Can someone with a bit more knowledge on US employment law give me an idea on what the benefits of WWE hiring talent as "independent contractors" is exactly? Is it a tax thing? Or just that they don't have to offer benefits/pension/employment rights etc? I'm assuming so the latter and maybe the former.

Is AEW set up differently with their contracts? Do they have staff as employees rather than contractors? 

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Can someone with a bit more knowledge on US employment law give me an idea on what the benefits of WWE hiring talent as "independent contractors" is exactly? Is it a tax thing? Or just that they don't have to offer benefits/pension/employment rights etc? I'm assuming so the latter and maybe the former.

Is AEW set up differently with their contracts? Do they have staff as employees rather than contractors? 

You get contractors in the UK as well. It gives the employer flexibility to let people go, and usually makes people work harder to justify getting kept on. So breeds an insecurity to an industry that isn’t lacking in it. 

aew seems to be similar, but have given a lot of talent day jobs that get things like health care cover 

16 hours ago, AshC said:

Is it just me that thinks WWE have a point about all this? If Raquel off Corrie was going on tinterweb in full gimmick, jiggling and freestyling, ITV would be having a word right away. The way the company is being portrayed over this seems well over the top.y

The company might have a point about the talent using their wrestler names but saying that they can't do anything else outside of wrestling unless okayed by the office when they are classed as Independent Contractors is a total dick move by Vince.

If Sarah Lancashire did, wouldn't she be backed by whatever the acting union is?

• Paid Members

yeah, AEW still hires wrestlers as independent contractors, but a lot of their talent seem to be given (real or nominal) office jobs as well, so they have employee benefits through that route - off the top of my head, I know that aside from the obvious EVPs, Dr Luther, Bryce Remsburg and Leva Bates all have desk jobs of some kind. 

• Paid Members

Excalibur works in their marketing department too. Daniels and Kazarian run talent relations. But even if you don't have an office job you mostly only work 1-2 days a week compared to the WWE's 4-5 days so the wrestlers are all free to get other jobs/business interests. Britt Baker being the most obvious example as someone who wrestles but is also a full time dentist.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Excalibur works in their marketing department too. Daniels and Kazarian run talent relations. But even if you don't have an office job you mostly only work 1-2 days a week compared to the WWE's 4-5 days so the wrestlers are all free to get other jobs/business interests. Britt Baker being the most obvious example as someone who wrestles but is also a full time dentist.

“Britt Baker is a dentist” is AEW’s “‘Rellik’ is ‘Killer’ backwards”.