Wrestling Newz

Hannibal Scorch

9 hours ago, chokeout said:

Very random but Kevin Quinn who worked for WWE for 30 years, starting as an editor and ending up as a VP of TV technology (and was recently let go) is doing an AMA on Reddit at 1AM. Could be shit, could be a rare look into someone that's worked alongside crazy Vince for the bulk of his life. At the very least he's one of the guys responsible for the amazing video packages WWE has been turning out for the past 20 years 

Edited by mrtrickio
Link

• Paid Members

I went back and checked the last few Wrestlemanias to see if they still did the ending montages. It seems to be hit and miss. They did one at Wrestlemania 30, 32 and 34 but not at 31, 33, 35 or 36. To be fair though, there were some extenuating circumstances. Wrestlemania 33 ended on Undertaker's supposed retirement, so it would've harmed the drama and impact if they cut straight to a music video. And Wrestlemania 36 was such a haunting, lifeless mess that I doubt they thought they had enough, "highlights," to fill a couple of minutes. I mean, Gronk in an empty building? Seriously? And lastly, Wrestlemania 35 was so fucking long that it would've been tantamount to torture if they made people keep watching a single second more. In fact, by the time Becky and Ronda did their botched finish, on a scientific level I don't think there was any time left in the actual universe.

I hope they continue to do them though. They're nice little snippets of history, giving you a quick glimpse of where the company is, who's employed and what everyone's up to.

My main takeaway from quickly going back and watching the last few moments from each show? Fucking hell you forget how long the Roman thing went on for. Years and years of them endlessly trying to make him the all-conquering, heroic babyface. Half a decade. The literal definition of insanity. Trying it over and over again, either going through with it and allowing it to bomb (Roman beating Triple at 32 and Undertaker at 35) or bottling it at the last minute (Seth cashing in at 31, Brock winning at 34). I mean, I'm sure Roman's bank account is bloody brilliant, but can you imagine how exhausting it must have been for him? Year on year. Flying around the planet. Hours on the road. Smashing your body to bits. And all whilst a psychopath refuses to budge and forever puts you in a position to look a total dickhead. Fucking blue contact lenses. Or just allowing Brock to smash his head open hardway, blood everywhere and a probable concussion. All for nothing. Not one iota of sympathy. The poor bastard. Watching this back, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Vince's idea is to turn Roman face again as soon as fans come back rather than allow it to happen naturally.

Other quick thoughts - Seth cashing in, Ronda beating up Triple H and The Rock's impromptu match with Eric Rowan remain classic moments.

The entrance during Daniel Bryan's return is absolutely magical too. Genuinely emotional. It remains incredible he's wrestle for years since and they've not come anywhere close to reaching his potential. There's no-one more lovable. They've completely wasted what will likely be his final active years. I'm in no way joking when I say Daniel Bryan is used better and has better character development on Total Bellas. My wife LOVES him on that show and is always asking about what he's up to. They'll never ever see it but he's got genuine crossover potential around my house.

Edited by Supremo

59 minutes ago, Supremo said:

The entrance during Daniel Bryan's return is absolutely magical too. Genuinely emotional. It remains incredible he's wrestle for years since and they've not come anywhere close to reaching his potential. There's no-one more lovable. They've completely wasted what will likely be his final active years. I'm in no way joking when I say Daniel Bryan is used better and has better character development on Total Bellas. My wife LOVES him on that show and is always asking about what he's up to. They'll never ever see it but he's got genuine crossover potential around my house.

I do wonder how much of that is down to bad booking, and how much relates to what Bryan himself wants to be doing at the moment.

His heel turn felt like that was getting close to realising full potential of what he's capable of these days but it didn't last as long as I'd hoped. And then he just sorta floated around here and there and occasionally got forgotten like they had no plans for him.

Nowadays he seems very content with picking people he wants to work with and getting the most out of them. That does feel like a genuine thing that he'd want to do. I imagine he's just so damn happy that he's wrestling again and there's all these guys he never thought he'd get a chance to test himself against. 

I would hope he'd have at least one run left as a top face with the belt in front of crowds before putting people over on the way out. I don't know how long he thinks he's got left or anything like that though. I wonder if he's got a plan.

• Paid Members

There were definitely times you could see the hopeless despair in Roman's eyes at those big moments that are supposed to be babyface moments and the crowd are just totally hostile. Just completely deflated, exhausted and upset. Especially as Roman has always taken big bumps and rough beatings to be the hero overcoming the odds. I don't know how he persevered at all.

And the complete fuck up of Daniel Bryan's return cannot be overstated. The most beloved babyface of the era returns from retirement and his first singles feud is against BIG FUCKING TWAT SHITE CASS. 

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I do wonder how much of that is down to bad booking, and how much relates to what Bryan himself wants to be doing at the moment.

Nowadays he seems very content with picking people he wants to work with and getting the most out of them. That does feel like a genuine thing that he'd want to do. I imagine he's just so damn happy that he's wrestling again and there's all these guys he never thought he'd get a chance to test himself against. 

There’s definitely something to that and it’s something that Bryan himself has mentioned in numerous interviews. See below.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/daniel-bryan-talks-lack-motivation-ambition-says-just-loves-wrestle/

On His Lack of Motivation & Ambition: “Despite what it sounds like, I’m not very motivated, right?” Bryan reflected, “I’m very much somebody who just accepts things as they come for the most part. So in wrestling, I was getting very popular and the WWE still didn’t want to push me to the top level because of my size. I’m a smaller guy. A normal person looks at me, when I’m coming down the ramp to the ring, a normal person doesn’t gravitate to looking at me unlike a John Cena who is enormous or some of the bigger guys like a Hulk Hogan, or a Steve Austin, or The Rock, who as soon as they come down, it’s like, ‘wow! Look at that guy,’ right? And that’s what WWE typically wants in their top stars and I’ve never been very good at being like, ‘hey, you guys should do more with me’ or ‘you guys should do this or do that with me’.

I’ve never been someone who is motivated by that or pushes himself towards that, or pushes myself towards financial goals, or pushing myself towards anything other than what I love to do. And I’m constantly having to remind myself, like, ‘hey, if you want to get to the next level where I want to be, you do have to do some pushing here.’

And so yeah, that’s a constant thing that I struggle with. WWE did this personality test with some of their more successful wrestlers to see, like, ‘are there some common traits amongst these people that makes them successful, so when we are recruiting people we can look for these traits to make them more successful.” Bryan remembered “and so, they ask you all these questions, yada, yada, yada. I got my test results back and the lady was just baffled. She was like, ‘you have the lowest ambition score I have ever seen!’ In percentiles, I was in the bottom one percentile for ambition. And she was like, ‘how on Earth are you successful at this?’ And I said, ‘I don’t know – I just really love to wrestle.’ So yeah, I have to push myself sometimes to be more ambitious.

Its a double edged sword. He seems like the nicest, smartest, most chilled guy in the world, which is where the connection with the crowd comes from, but then it also means he doesn’t really care about being pushed and is happy just wrestling Drew Gulak.

Sure makes for a frustrating viewing experience though and he’ll always feel like money left on the table. But then, conversely, maybe I shouldn’t care either. Look at Becky Lynch. This company, in its current form? Ran by this maniac? Even when they recognise potential and they want to strap a rocket to someone they still manage to completely fuck it up. Bryan might the smartest of everyone not giving a fuck.

Edited by Supremo

That's really interesting actually, and doesn't surprise me. If I were him, I'd probably be shocked that I ever got the success in WWE that I did. Maybe surprised that I even got a place on the roster at all. As much as many of us enjoyed American Dragon and the matches he had in ROH etc, it's not like you could ever look at him and think "yep, that's the guy that'll take over WWE" at some point. He's always been the underdog and I'd say he can look back at his career and consider himself an overachiever probably. More than anything, at least he's getting to wrestle more than he ever thought he would, and hopefully he'll get that chance to retire on his terms this time - same with Edge.

Now 100% wrestling but 'wrestling-related' (and very sad) news:

Ronnie Massaro, the 39 year old brother to former WWE Superstar Ashley Massaro, was fatally stabbed outside of a pizza shop in New York City on Saturday, November 21st.
The New York Daily News reports that the apparent random knife attack happened at around 9:15pm outside of 2 Bros. Pizza in Midtown Manhattan. Police are still searching for a suspect seen fleeing uptown after the attack.
It was noted that Ronnie was struggling to turn his life around & had been battling alcoholism following Ashley's suicide in 2019. Ronnie had checked out of a rehab facility in Riverhead, Long Island just hours before he was murdered, according to a family friend.

Tragic.