UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I seem to recall that being a great PPV all around.

It’s good in a “something for everyone” way but Sabu & RVD vs Hakushi & Hayabusa is a meandering mess misremembered as good because it had a few MOVEZ! and a memorable finish that everybody downloaded in mpeg to put in their folder with Burning Hammers, Hunter’s botched Pedigree on Marty Garner, and Sables tits from Fully Loaded.

• Paid Members

That RVD/Sabu Vs Shinzaki/Hayabuda match is decent, but is the weakest match on that card. It's a heck of a show. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The Kai En Tai match in 97 is the better Japanese talent match in ECW, I loved the idea of making them BWO Japan.

It's one of my go-to "what match would you show someone who's never seen wrestling before?" matches - six blokes that the crowd barely know just immediately getting over by having a bonkers, fast-paced match with great moves in it. No corny melodrama, but no egregious comedy or anything overtly cooperative either, just really bloody good, exciting wrestling. I can't imagine not enjoying it.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It's one of my go-to "what match would you show someone who's never seen wrestling before?" matches - six blokes that the crowd barely know just immediately getting over by having a bonkers, fast-paced match with great moves in it. No corny melodrama, but no egregious comedy or anything overtly cooperative either, just really bloody good, exciting wrestling. I can't imagine not enjoying it.

I had a similar experience with Blood Generation vs Do Fixer from the ROH 4YA show.

Talk in the ‘Minor Annoyances’ thread referring to two weeks worth of Raw tapings being done at the same time reminded me of something. 

When Razor won the IC title after Shawn was stripped of it (leading to the Ladder Match at WMX) there was a Battle Royal on Raw in which the last two remaining competitors would meet the following week for the vacant title. Those being Razor and Rick Martel. I remember reading (or probably actually hearing on WrestleCall) that the second taping was done first. Thus the live audience saw Razor win the title prior to seeing the Battle Royal. Whilst it’s possible they carried on the Battle Royal off air, I distinctly remember a number of referees separating the two, which would have been equally confusing. 

Can anyone confirm this, or is my mind playing tricks? 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, thicko said:

Talk in the ‘Minor Annoyances’ thread referring to two weeks worth of Raw tapings being done at the same time reminded me of something. 

When Razor won the IC title after Shawn was stripped of it (leading to the Ladder Match at WMX) there was a Battle Royal on Raw in which the last two remaining competitors would meet the following week for the vacant title. Those being Razor and Rick Martel. I remember reading (or probably actually hearing on WrestleCall) that the second taping was done first. Thus the live audience saw Razor win the title prior to seeing the Battle Royal. Whilst it’s possible they carried on the Battle Royal off air, I distinctly remember a number of referees separating the two, which would have been equally confusing. 

Can anyone confirm this, or is my mind playing tricks? 

Can't find any confirmation. The taping was 27 September, the battle royal shown October 4 and the Ramon-Martel match on October 11. Nothing in the Observer that week mentioning anything odd.

The 27 September Raw was live, so it's very possible they recorded one or both of the taped shows before going live, meaning they'd had the battle royal (and maybe the title match) before Tunney announced the title being vacant on the live broadcast. But there's no obvious reason they'd have taped the 11th before the 4th.

7 minutes ago, simonworden said:

Must have come up here before but I was just watching the start of the 92 Rumble and Bulldog is announced as from Leeds. Anyone able to shed some light on why that was?

Genuine guess, he told them Golborne and they had not a fucking clue to say it so Al Hayes probably shouted out Leeds in a meeting probably. Alfred for the record announced him from Golborne at the 1991 UK show.