UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I’ve forgotten when our version of Livewire stopped happening,

I'm sure I remember watching Livewire after Metal on Sunday mornings in early 2000 on skyone.

From what I recall Metal was a recap show with a match at the end, Livewire was then a metal recap show with the same clips plus edited highlights of the Metal "mainevent".

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

From what I recall Metal was a recap show with a match at the end, Livewire was then a metal recap show with the same clips plus edited highlights of the Metal "mainevent".

This is some inception level shit. This is worse than the recycling of the mid 90s. I still can’t get my head round why our broadcast of Challenge where Barry Horowitz pinned Skip was commentated on by Gorilla and Stan Lane but the recap shown on the PPV was JR and (IIRC) Jim Cornette.

• Paid Members

We definitely used to get basically the same show with a different name (and probably different commentary) over & over again in 99/00.

Sky used to show them in a 5pm weekdays slot on the sports channels and it was the same 4 squash matches & the same highlights from the main shows, just in a different order.

Metal, Jakked, Livewire & Superstars IIRC. I assume they were syndicated shows for different markets but Sky just took them all. And because I was still in a phase of being very excited to have Sky, I used to sit through all 4 every week.

Maybe not the most smoking of gun(n)s, but one of the final nails in my kayfabe coffin was Dok Hendrix being on both the Challenge and Action Zone commentary teams and reacting twice to the same matches as if he was seeing them for the first time.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Statto said:

Metal, Jakked, Livewire & Superstars IIRC. I assume they were syndicated shows for different markets but Sky just took them all. And because I was still in a phase of being very excited to have Sky, I used to sit through all 4 every week.

Isn't that how we ended up with classics and worldwide for a spell, they binned heat at el but Sky still had so many hours of TV contacted for sky sports so they gave them re-runs of early 90s worldwide shows they had at hand?

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, eugenespeed said:

Thank you for the info. 

What about Nitro and Thunder, and also ECW? 

I missed a huge chunk of wrestling in the mid 90s, but I remember watching Nitro on TCM and then later on Hardcore TV on Bravo. 

I remember Nitro on TCM, when Cartoon Network closed down at 9 PM, but it was years-old episodes. I started watching wrestling around late-99, and the episodes of Nitro were from mid-1996 as Sting came out in his surfer look and I remember thinking, “That’s Sting? What the fuck is he wearing?”

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I remember Nitro on TCM, when Cartoon Network closed down at 9 PM, but it was years-old episodes. I started watching wrestling around late-99, and the episodes of Nitro were from mid-1996 as Sting came out in his surfer look and I remember thinking, “That’s Sting? What the fuck is he wearing?”

I remember It was months behind until the Russo reset show, where it and the ch5 show jumped to about 2 weeks behind, but it was years ago and my memory is fucked so I can't guarantee that's accurate.

As you mentioned, ECW was briefly on Bravo towards the end of its existence. Not sure exactly when it started but it will have been sometime in 2000 as I can remember catching a couple of shows where they talking about Jerry Lynn as World Champion which would’ve been after November to Remember 2000 and but before Massacre on 34th Street.

Nitro on TNT after Cartoon Network over here when it first started wasn’t too far behind it’s US broadcast although i think it was edited. Not sure when it fell behind as I wasn’t an avid WCW watcher at the time, but I can remember catching Nitro prior to The Great American Bash in 96 and the show closing angle of Sting quoting Guns n Roses to Scott Hall, with promising a big surprise the following week which was obviously Big Kev.

Everyone always mentions about WCW being on Channel 5 but I’ve got absolutely no memory of that ever happening. Had I known it was on there I would’ve watched no question, but that passed me by completely 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Nitro on TNT after Cartoon Network over here when it first started wasn’t too far behind it’s US broadcast although i think it was edited. Not sure when it fell behind as I wasn’t an avid WCW watcher at the time, but I can remember catching Nitro prior to The Great American Bash in 96 and the show closing angle of Sting quoting Guns n Roses to Scott Hall, with promising a big surprise the following week which was obviously Big Kev.

TNT used to air one hour of Nitro from 7 til 8 the Friday after it aired in the States so invariably we’d miss the occasional title change or major occurrence. It was a right pain the arse trying to piece together what happened on a PPV when you had only half the matches and had to just hope they’d tell you in passing if DDP beat Macho Man or not. I’m not sure when they switched to showing 2 hours but I believe somewhere between SuperBrawl VIII and Uncensored we started getting all 3 hours. Trimmed down to 3 hours in the event of overruns.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

Pretty sure Nitro was on Channel 5 on a Friday night around 7ish. I was only 6/7 when it aired but that seems about right.

It was Worldwide, running about 4 weeks behind the US, but by that point it was essentially a Nitro/Thunder highlights show with a couple of extra matches thrown in. Very Scott Hudson-heavy. 

7 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Wasn't that when they censored the international object hits with a sign right out of the 60s Batman show?

And you'd see them often thanks to Jeff Jarrett and his guitar.

That's the one!

• Paid Members

The C5 version of Worldwide was also such a hack up that it featured matches and segments from different episodes, and in fact one episode had one segment showing Hogan as champion then later on had Sting defending the belt against Benoit.