UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Loki said:

Just watching the Netflix series "Wrestlers" and from time to time they use WWF footage but it's clearly ripped from YouTube, often even with the ripper's logo or web address still visible.

Surely using any WWF/E content in another show would require permission from WWE, and if obtained you'd get a decent quality copy?  Or have Netflix just decided to literally steal stuff off Youtube and hope nobody from WWE comes calling?

I think it comes down to the vagaries of Fair Use law; by specifically using the version of the footage owned by WWE, they would probably have to pay them to use it, whereas because the show is classed as a documentary, they'll be able to get away with using other footage for a limited period.

There's also the weird loophole that Dark Side Of The Ring use, where there's something about how they film a TV screen showing the footage, and that somehow qualifies under a different license or something. 

When Davey Boy Smith was making a comeback in the WWF in 1999, there was a sit-down interview with JR that he and Diana recorded. I remember it was hyped for a Raw epsiode, but when the time came, it didn't air at all. 

In subsequent years, clips from it have made various WWE documentaries but does anyone know a) the reason why it didn't air and b) what he discussed? My assumption is that he went into detail about some of the drug issues he was having along with issues with WCW and perhaps, from a company and legal standpoint, neither were good ground to be covering.