UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

24 minutes ago, Maikeru said:

Is there any way to reliably predict the card (or at least the roster members likely to be there) for the event this Sunday at OVO Wembley?

Based on the original email, it's a Smackdown show and they mention:

LA KNIGHT

BIANCA BELAIR

CHARLOTTE FLAIR

BOBBY LASHLEY

ASUKA

THE BRAWLING BRUTES

I would've thought other than John Cena and Roman Reigns everyone else is possible from Smackdown.

Recent house show results:

Spoiler

Raquel Rodriguez & Roxanne Perez vs Isla Dawn & Alba Fyre

Grayson Waller & Austin Theory vs Cameron Grimes & Dragon Lee

Shotzi vs Bayley

Karrion Kross (w/ Scarlett) vs Butch

WWE Women’s Title Match – IYO Sky (c) vs Charlotte Flair and Asuka in a Triple Threat

The LWO (Santos Escobar, Carlito & Joaquin Wilde) vs Bobby Lashley & The Street Profits (Montez Ford & Angelo Dawkins)

LA Knight vs Solo Sikoa in a Street Fight.

Edited by DavidB6937

Huge/Dangerous spots that barely make any news. 

I see there was a TNA (Impact ) PPV recently were PCO took a bump onto a concrete slab that had thumbtacks on it.

Firstly there it barely made any news , like i came across it by chance . I was wondering what are some of the more crazy/insane spots in recent years that are completely forgotten about ?

Secondly, is PCO not in complete shit from a physical point of view, the man must be aching every minute of every day. I cant believe he is still going.

• Paid Members
On 10/27/2023 at 10:29 AM, Maikeru said:

Is there any way to reliably predict the card (or at least the roster members likely to be there) for the event this Sunday at OVO Wembley?

On 10/27/2023 at 10:53 AM, DavidB6937 said:

Hide contents

Raquel Rodriguez & Roxanne Perez vs Isla Dawn & Alba Fyre

Grayson Waller & Austin Theory vs Cameron Grimes & Dragon Lee

Shotzi vs Bayley

Karrion Kross (w/ Scarlett) vs Butch

WWE Women’s Title Match – IYO Sky (c) vs Charlotte Flair and Asuka in a Triple Threat

The LWO (Santos Escobar, Carlito & Joaquin Wilde) vs Bobby Lashley & The Street Profits (Montez Ford & Angelo Dawkins)

LA Knight vs Solo Sikoa in a Street Fight.

For those that followed this and, like me, need closure on it, you can read the results here :

https://www.wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=shows&show=590204

Pretty good resource. Though just like cagematch and historyofwwe, incomplete if you ever want to deep dive on any given month in history. There’s always a show lurking where the card only exists on a blog like Pro Wrestling Fandom or rarer still, a few sentences on the local news site about 1500 souls braving inclement weather for WWEs long awaited return to Badiddilyboing, Odawidaho.

4 hours ago, Browser Brady said:

PCO took a bump onto a concrete slab that had thumbtacks on it.

I was wondering what are some of the more crazy/insane spots in recent years that are completely forgotten about ?

Secondly, is PCO not in complete shit from a physical point of view. 

I checked out this match based purely on the comments about the bump here and elsewhere, so I think it did get some coverage. Personally, I thought it looked really shit - in the vein of if something is so genuinely dangerous you can't do it properly, why bother in the first place? 

See also, John Rare (allegedly) getting his finger cut off and it never being mentioned again days later. 

Also, the Money In The Bank On The Roof match, where someone got "thrown off the roof". Very safely done, but never mentioned again. 

Speaking of PCO, the spot where he had his mouth stapled shut - sick, visually violent, must have hurt like shit, but barely mentioned since! 

21 hours ago, Ro_y Disco said:

I checked out this match based purely on the comments about the bump here and elsewhere, so I think it did get some coverage. Personally, I thought it looked really shit - in the vein of if something is so genuinely dangerous you can't do it properly, why bother in the first place? 

See also, John Rare (allegedly) getting his finger cut off and it never being mentioned again days later. 

Also, the Money In The Bank On The Roof match, where someone got "thrown off the roof". Very safely done, but never mentioned again. 

Speaking of PCO, the spot where he had his mouth stapled shut - sick, visually violent, must have hurt like shit, but barely mentioned since! 

My god……

What was the actual point of that ?

On 10/30/2023 at 2:10 PM, air_raid said:

For those that followed this and, like me, need closure on it, you can read the results here :

https://www.wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=shows&show=590204

Pretty good resource. Though just like cagematch and historyofwwe, incomplete if you ever want to deep dive on any given month in history. There’s always a show lurking where the card only exists on a blog like Pro Wrestling Fandom or rarer still, a few sentences on the local news site about 1500 souls braving inclement weather for WWEs long awaited return to Badiddilyboing, Odawidaho.

It wasn't the best card I've been to, but was the first WWE show for my son and he had a great time. Crowd was pretty pumped too. Highlights were LA Knight vs Solo Sikoa and Charlotte vs Iyo Sky. At ÂŁ93 for 8th row seats at a Smackdown house show it was what it was - I refuse to pay those PLE prices (Clash in the Castle, Money in the Bank) for nosebleed seats to watch a show I can see for free on TV - so this was more my cup of tea.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Maikeru said:

I refuse to pay those PLE prices (Clash in the Castle, Money in the Bank) for nosebleed seats to watch a show I can see for free on TV - so this was more my cup of tea.

Slightly off topic but back in the day when I went I'd prefer the house shows to TV tapings because you'd get a better show.

I remember more than once people dry running thier upcoming ppv match nearly beat for beat rather than watching a load of skits on the screen or run in finishes at the tapings.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Maikeru said:

At ÂŁ93 for 8th row seats at a Smackdown house show it was what it was - I refuse to pay those PLE prices (Clash in the Castle, Money in the Bank) for nosebleed seats to watch a show I can see for free on TV - so this was more my cup of tea.

3 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Slightly off topic but back in the day when I went I'd prefer the house shows to TV tapings because you'd get a better show.

I remember more than once people dry running thier upcoming ppv match nearly beat for beat rather than watching a load of skits on the screen or run in finishes at the tapings.

It’s definitely a YMMV situation I think, for years I only went to house shows because there was a better chance of decent matches without them being rushed or, as you say, shitty finishes. But when I finally went to a taping it was during the halcyon days of “SmackDown can do no wrong” in 2018 where the small number of matches they put on were all decent to excellent with sensible timing and proper finishes.

I enjoyed my experience of a house show in Bournemouth in 2014 because of the longer matches, audience interaction and the fact the tickets were cheaper and with the nature of the venue you were pretty much guaranteed a decent view. That said I felt like I wouldn't enjoy seeing the same thing in a bigger arena like the O2 or even Wembley arena if I didn't have close up floor seats and I'd feel too detracted from the show. It's much easier in those venues for me to feel into it if its a TV taping/PPV with things going on between matches, big screens, Pyro (sometimes) etc. But then I'm a bit weird with things like that. They had the big pyro opener at Raw/SD in London in 06 then didn't in 07 at it kind of ruined the show for me. 

8 hours ago, simonworden said:

I enjoyed my experience of a house show in Bournemouth in 2014 because of the longer matches, audience interaction and the fact the tickets were cheaper and with the nature of the venue you were pretty much guaranteed a decent view. That said I felt like I wouldn't enjoy seeing the same thing in a bigger arena like the O2 or even Wembley arena if I didn't have close up floor seats and I'd feel too detracted from the show. It's much easier in those venues for me to feel into it if its a TV taping/PPV with things going on between matches, big screens, Pyro (sometimes) etc. But then I'm a bit weird with things like that. They had the big pyro opener at Raw/SD in London in 06 then didn't in 07 at it kind of ruined the show for me. 

I was surprised to see they had the big screen the other night despite it being a house show. They used it to show recaps of recent Smackdown episodes,  wrestler logos during their entrances and posting tweets from the fans using #wwelondon. I'd never seen this in action before. 

Does anyone know if they have a live feed of the action on the big screens at PLEs? 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

First of all, happy new year. I apologise if I post this in the wrong place. No idea if I should start a whole new thread or put the question here:

I know this is a very long shot but does anyone happen to have any information about the defunct promotion "Mad Eli's Grappling Assocation" (MEGA), which was run by wrestling fan Mad Eli (Eli Collins)?

Aside of who was the founder/owner, I mainly would like to know between which years was the promotion active and where the promotion was mostly based. I tried looking on Google but aside of two shows posted on YouTube and Mad Eli's stories online, I couldn't find much information about his promotion and I don't know of someone that may have a clue of British 90s wrestling, so this is my last resort.

Best regards.

• Paid Members

@Hernan

Others on here will be far more familiar, but I did some little bits of digging, some of which will likely be what you already found.

Wrestlingdata.com has MEGA running 10 events between 1988 and 1998, though that will be an incomplete list, and includes apparent cross-promotions with All-Star. Every show they have results for is from Bath, so it's safe to assume that's where they were based.

I also had a look on the British Newspaper Archive, which again has a few shows listed for Bath, starting with "Mad Eli's Charity Bash" in 1988, and the latest being a MEGA-branded show in 1998. There's also a Gloucestershire Echo article from 1998 which refers to Eli as a "Bath-based promoter". 

Earlier than that, in 1987, Eli was advertising a combined coach trip/wrestling ticket from Bristol, though whether he was promoting the show or just the travel is unclear.

10 hours ago, BomberPat said:

@Hernan

Others on here will be far more familiar, but I did some little bits of digging, some of which will likely be what you already found.

Wrestlingdata.com has MEGA running 10 events between 1988 and 1998, though that will be an incomplete list, and includes apparent cross-promotions with All-Star. Every show they have results for is from Bath, so it's safe to assume that's where they were based.

I also had a look on the British Newspaper Archive, which again has a few shows listed for Bath, starting with "Mad Eli's Charity Bash" in 1988, and the latest being a MEGA-branded show in 1998. There's also a Gloucestershire Echo article from 1998 which refers to Eli as a "Bath-based promoter". 

Earlier than that, in 1987, Eli was advertising a combined coach trip/wrestling ticket from Bristol, though whether he was promoting the show or just the travel is unclear.

That works for me. Thanks for investigating about the promotion, I appreciate the info.