UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

1 hour ago, TibBo said:

Really random one, but if anyone remembers it, it’d be someone here…

around 92ish, one of the newspapers did a wrestling pull-out supplement thing.  It wasn’t the wall charts where you collected the pictures each day and stuck them on, it was like the centre few pages of the paper which made a separate wrestling supplement.

I only had one, which had an old picture of hogan on the front with his white ‘hulkster’ headband, so the photo was probably from around 85ish?

does anyone have any memories of this? Was it an ongoing thing? I’ve scoured Google and eBay with no luck…

Was it this?

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, Cheapheat said:

Does anyone know why a 'Mexican Surfboard' is called that? I just had a conversation where it came up (with non wrestling people) and I worried it sounded like an old school slur. 

Isn't it just a lazy name as it's a move from Mexico? The real name is La Tapatia, aka the Romero Special named after the inventor.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Isn't it just a lazy name as it's a move from Mexico? The real name is La Tapatia, aka the Romero Special named after the inventor.

Like a lot of broadly accepted move names, I'd imagine it probably stems from it being what it was called in a video game at some point. 

There's a couple of moves more broadly called a "Surfboard" that involve stretching the opponents' arms behind their back, so the name's derived from that.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Like a lot of broadly accepted move names, I'd imagine it probably stems from it being what it was called in a video game at some point. 

There's a couple of moves more broadly called a "Surfboard" that involve stretching the opponents' arms behind their back, so the name's derived from that.

Which makes sense given how your arms can look when you carry a surfboard behind your back. Although it definitely pre-dates gaming - I have a hazy memory of Vince saying "surfboarding him out" when someone had a camel clutch applied when there was no Sheik/Slaughter/other baddie country sympathizer involved so he was using it as a catch-all for that kind of stretch.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

It's a dangerous rabbit hole to go down. I got blocked on Twitter by Mauro Ranallo for calling him out for using "jacknife pin" for any vertical press regardless of whether it was a jacknife pin or not, the word "senton" has been bastardized to mean almost anything other than the back splash it was originally, and we definitely shouldn't be saying Huracan Rana for anything that sends the opponent flying around the ring or bouncing them on their nut (like the Frankensteiner) without grabbing the legs for the pinfall cradle. Huracan Ramierez is spinning in his grave. Spinning his opponent to the mat, grabbing the legs for the three count, in his grave.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Which makes sense given how your arms can look when you carry a surfboard behind your back. Although it definitely pre-dates gaming - I have a hazy memory of Vince saying "surfboarding him out" when someone had a camel clutch applied when there was no Sheik/Slaughter/other baddie country sympathizer involved so he was using it as a catch-all for that kind of stretch.

Yeah, for clarity, the gaming thing was I think maybe an origin for "Mexican Surfboard", rather than "Surfboard" as a whole, which I think has origins in amateur wrestling.

I can't think of any of the top of my head, but there are definitely moves that I've heard names for that I know came from No Mercy or Smackdown, because there wasn't any prior usage. If it's not that, it's names that were used in Japan that seeped into western usage via the games.

I'm glad to not be the one pleading the case for the sanctity of the Huracanrana name, though! 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I can't think of any of the top of my head, but there are definitely moves that I've heard names for that I know came from No Mercy or Smackdown, because there wasn't any prior usage. If it's not that, it's names that were used in Japan that seeped into western usage via the games.

Well, while the real intended pronunciation of Musawa's Emerald Frozen/Frozien/Flowsion seems to be an enigma, THQ were the first people to call it the Emerald Fusion. I've no idea where "Kitchen Sink" for the knee to the gut came from, however.

We'd get into mock debates on occasion as to whether the wrestler we were watching on telly had just performed Front Kick 1 or Front Kick 5.

• Paid Members

the "Kitchen Sink" is an odd one. A few places (Wikipedia included) credit the move to Riki Choshu, but with no explanation of the name.

There are old wrestling magazines, dating back to the '70s if not earlier, that refer to a specific move as the "Kitchen Sink", but it doesn't seem to be the same move.

it obviously comes from the saying "everything but the kitchen sink", but why a knee to the gut gets that name, and if Choshu ever actually used the name himself, I have no idea.

On 9/11/2023 at 2:50 PM, BomberPat said:

and if Choshu ever actually used the name himself, I have no idea.

Yeah I can't imagine him taking a name from a English speaking phrase like that, weirder names have happened though.

Speaking of names give by video games, Kobashi's Orange Crush was one of those, wasn't it? Whenever I've seen it in a match I'm pretty sure Japanese commentary usually just scream brain buster or something.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah I can't imagine him taking a name from a English speaking phrase like that, weirder names have happened though.

English tends to be the language of pro-wrestling in Japan, so it's not impossible, but "Kitchen Sink" doesn't strike me as the sort of phrase they'd have landed on - maybe an American wrestler could have named it while working Choshu, but that's a stretch.

Kobashi was, for a time, actually nicknamed "Orange Crush", so I think you're right that the move was never called that in Japan. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Speaking of names give by video games, Kobashi's Orange Crush was one of those, wasn't it? Whenever I've seen it in a match I'm pretty sure Japanese commentary usually just scream brain buster or something.

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Kobashi was, for a time, actually nicknamed "Orange Crush", so I think you're right that the move was never called that in Japan. 

At my smarkiest I believed that Kobashi was "Orange Crush" but the move was the "Orange Bomb" but in reality it was just "brainbuster bomb" according to the screaming All Japan commentators.

Down a rabbit hole now though now, lads. Are we united in hating anyone that uses "Ganso Bomb" as though it's an actual move rather than what it was, which was a colossal fuck up?

• Paid Members

the Ganso Bomb is an odd one in that it probably was a fuck-up, but he was already doing the Kawada Driver, which is more or less the same move. So it's likely a fuck-up, but not a fuck-up of an attempted Powerbomb, as usually suggested, but of a different move entirely. 

Even the term "Ganso" roughly translates to something like "Original" or "Originator", because it's supposed to resemble Lou Thesz's version of the Powerbomb, but that was allegedly born of a fuck-up when he couldn't fully lift his opponent too (though that is likely an urban myth in its own right)! And I doubt Lou ever called it a Powerbomb anyway, as he identified it as a move borrowed from Greco-Roman. 

"Brainbuster" is another interesting one, because in Japan the name just means what we would call a vertical suplex. What we would think of as a brainbuster they would either call a "vertical drop brainbuster" or a "sheer drop brainbuster". My pet theory is that American wrestlers or fans heard the name "brainbuster", thought it was some dangerous new move they'd never seen before, then when they saw it and it turned out to be just a suplex, they rationalised in their head that actually it was a suplex with a bit more of a head drop to it. So that became a separate move, called the Brainbuster in America, but by the time that made its way back to Japan, they needed a different name for that too!

Edited by BomberPat