UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

That might be part of it, but I think it was also about giving him a chance to get over on his own in Memphis, rather than being seen as Lawler's son and being held to that standard from the beginning of his career, especially as he was usually a heel while King was a babyface.

During the ECW "invasion" of the WWF in the mid-90s, there was a much more involved invasion/interpromotional feud going on between ECW and the USWA, and towards the end of that Heyman "exposes" Brian Christopher as Lawler's son, and there's an angle around Lawler trying to deny it while Brian wants to come clean.

So they were playing with it for storyline purposes before Brian ever made it to the WWF, and once there JR would drop enough in-jokes about it to make it obvious.

Yeah i guess my thinking is that by 97 he was both an odd fit for the lightweight division and his act had become slightly passé/dated. 

If he had shown up in the WWF in late 93 instead of Jarrrett and was given a few IC title runs ,not necessarily given the singing gimmick, i think he would have done way way better. 

Brian Christopher getting brought into the Lawler Vs Bret Hart feud could have been great. 

Edited by Browser Brady

One of the reasons may also be to do with the history of Memphis wrestling.

In 1977 Memphis wrestling had a huge internal war with Nick Gulas and Jerry Jarrett, when Gulas insisted on pushing his useless son George as a top name. Jarrett broke away from Gulas, and Lawler went with him, creating the CWA and making the promotion on of the best. 

I would think as it turned into such a huge battle because of the nepotism, Lawler probably didn't want to then look like he was doing the same. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a page anywhere on this forum or a website or something which lists when wrestlers are coming to the UK to do appearances? I missed Eric Bischoff, Kevin Nash and most recently Scott Steiner doing Q&A's and I'd have attended all of them if I'd known in advance. Keep finding out via YouTube that they've visited and kicking myself. 

Thanks in advance

34 minutes ago, IronSheik said:

Is there a page anywhere on this forum or a website or something which lists when wrestlers are coming to the UK to do appearances? I missed Eric Bischoff, Kevin Nash and most recently Scott Steiner doing Q&A's and I'd have attended all of them if I'd known in advance. Keep finding out via YouTube that they've visited and kicking myself. 

Thanks in advance

This one I think.

Hi, I thought there used to be a WWE Network thread on here but I cannot find it.

I want to check what the current status of the Network is? I cancelled it at the end of the summer as I found the new layout awful and the search function useless. Have the issues/problems been sorted?

On 3/31/2024 at 12:10 PM, Cocky_Pete said:

Hi, I thought there used to be a WWE Network thread on here but I cannot find it.

I want to check what the current status of the Network is? I cancelled it at the end of the summer as I found the new layout awful and the search function useless. Have the issues/problems been sorted?

In my opinion, its still absolutely shit.

Want to watch something, stop halfway through and then resume another time? Good luck!

The worst streaming service by far.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

What are the best Miracle Violence Connection matches ?

I remember watching a few in my tape buying days but that was 20 years ago now. I'm guessing the ones against the big AJPW guys stand up but are their WCW matches any good too ?

Depends what you like. A lot of their PPV matches in 92 were quite long and quite methodical but I liked them. The matches with the Steiners being the standouts but they had a couple of good matches with Barry Windham and Dustin Rhodes as well, at the Great American Bash 92 and a TV match on Saturday Night around the October.

For something shorter and faster moving though, there’s them murdering the O’Days at a Clash Of The Champions. It’s on Dailymotion but it’s not embedding for me on here for some reason.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Random one - can anyone remember, and I'm pretty sure it was a "Diva" (as was) - who did this for a finish.... Started with an inverted facelock then a leg swept across the opponents body to do like an inverted legdrop DDT. But not the outside leg as Big Show used to do (think they called it the Showstopper), but the inside leg, so it arcs from pointing into your own body all the way out to slamming across the opponent, and you end up sitting facing the same way your opponents feet point.... if that makes sense?

EDIT - ignore me. It was Melina. Of course it was.

As an aside since I'm on finishers... learning that Perez' finish is called "PopRox" amused me greatly. A far cry from when they used to get real lazy and called anything "(something) bomb" "(something) slam" or "(something) kick."

Edited by air_raid
Now you bow to me

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

As an aside since I'm on finishers... learning that Perez' finish is called "PopRox" amused me greatly. A far cry from when they used to get real lazy and called anything "(something) bomb" "(something) slam" or "(something) kick."

At least it wasn’t the Overdrive, which most people in that 2002–2005 period got given as a finisher. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

At least it wasn’t the Overdrive, which most people in that 2002–2005 period got given as a finisher. 

Only just realized that "Perez" could have made you think I was still talking about Melina! PopRox is the finish of Roxanne Perez in NXT. "Sunset Split" is the name of the inverted legdrop DDT that Melly used to do. Which is OK, considering the whole MNM "Hollywood" gimmick could be related to Sunset Drive.

I still think someone could get the Overdrive, umm, over. It only got used by a fraction of the people that used the Roll The Dice/Test Drive/Hero's Welcome/Last Rites, and Cody just won the Undisputed Undefeated WWE World Heavyweight Championship Of Life, The Universe And Everything with that. I sincerely hope Cody gets to win a match at 42 with it as well, it's what Douglas would have wanted.

This is a very boring question probably, and I'm not sure if anyone here can answer it, but I know a few people have worked in and around wrestling tv.

Just watching the Netflix series "Wrestlers" and from time to time they use WWF footage but it's clearly ripped from YouTube, often even with the ripper's logo or web address still visible.

Surely using any WWF/E content in another show would require permission from WWE, and if obtained you'd get a decent quality copy?  Or have Netflix just decided to literally steal stuff off Youtube and hope nobody from WWE comes calling?

I've noticed something oddly similar a few times on the BBC, where they appear to have grabbed some low quality footage from Youtube rather than go into the BBC's archive, but at least they own the copyright.

Is there some sort of "fair use" policy regarding ripped footage I'm not aware of?