UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, simonworden said:

Must have come up here before but I was just watching the start of the 92 Rumble and Bulldog is announced as from Leeds. Anyone able to shed some light on why that was?

Georgia says that when the Bulldogs were put together for Stampede, Dynamite was already billed as from Manchester so to differentiate them Davey Boy said he could be billed as being from Leeds. It’s possible those “billed from” towns got sent to New York after Vince took them on and Davey never got round to correcting it until 1994.

It’s hard to make sense of the Smith family at the best of times, his middle name was Boy after all. Because they’re bizarre.

Edited by air_raid

From the places I’ve looked after typing her name into Google, Tessa Blanchard hasn’t wrestled in well over a year.

Does anyone know if she has deliberately moved her focus to other things, or if she is just an out-of-work wrestler now?

• Paid Members

She lives in Mexico at the moment, so maybe it's like the Jack Evans situation where she can't get into the US to wrestle due to the Pandemic? Wasn't somebody meant to be relaunching WOW built around her? I'm also guessing the incident where she spat at and racially abused Black Rose and the alegations of her bullying other women won't be doing her any favours either. If it hadn't been for those incidents I'd imagine she would have been in AEW or even WWE. 

I also learned that she was Florence Pugh's stunt performer in Fighting With My Family.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

One of my earliest memories is not being able to sleep and watching wrestling at like 2am on ITV, it was from Florida and I'm sure had Ric Flair on it.

Which promotion would this be? I think there were a couple around there.

Probably CWF if he was feuding with Dusty?

That is if you mean olden times and not just Worldwide taped at Disney….

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

One of my earliest memories is not being able to sleep and watching wrestling at like 2am on ITV, it was from Florida and I'm sure had Ric Flair on it.

Which promotion would this be? I think there were a couple around there.

I wonder whether it was the old NWA World Championship Wrestling show? I remember in 92-93 they had WCW Worldwide at 12.35am on a Monday night /Tuesday morning with the Saturday 3pm repeat. 

Didn't they used to alternate the World Of Sport Stuff with some American territories stuff and even the WWF on a Saturday afternoon at one point? 

7 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I wonder whether it was the old NWA World Championship Wrestling show? I remember in 92-93 they had WCW Worldwide at 12.35am on a Monday night /Tuesday morning with the Saturday 3pm repeat. 

Didn't they used to alternate the World Of Sport Stuff with some American territories stuff and even the WWF on a Saturday afternoon at one point? 

I might have found it!

Central showed tapes from several US promotions, including Professional Wrestling from Florida (from the first half of 1989), Global Wrestling (Florida version, not the later Dallas group), and matches from the AWA/World Class/Memphis partnership of late 1988.

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

WoS used to have WWF on occasion but nothing else American as far as I can remember.

If you had access to S4C, their Reslo strand showed some stuff from the territories.

• Paid Members

Forgive me if there are any resources online that my feeble searching couldn’t discover - does anyone know anywhere I can find any information about the old “Coliseum Video exclusive” matches? Not tape listings themselves - I own virtually every one released in the UK - or results from the tapings, which are easily found, but the process itself?

I’d love to find answers to a dozen questions. Were the matches an arbitrary choice of whoever was booking, to give each taping a few of the matches from the house show loops plus random extra choices, or was there more to it? Were they told “we need X vs Y for tape Z” or did the producers just see what was in the can and cherry pick? Was any foresight given to the results and finishes with a view to storylines by design or was it just whatever the booker felt like? Was it for efficiency/laziness that some matches got used for multiple tapes or by accident? Were any matches specifically planned and taped for future use on Coliseum then not used and if so for what reasons? When “Coliseum” was shut down and “WWF Home Video” moved in house, why did the home video exclusive practice stop - were the talent just not up for it after already exhausting tapings, or was there so much TV content giving away the top matches they didn’t feel like doing any for tapes any more?

And a few of the cynical ones too. Did anybody notice or care about the logic hole where Jim Ross would dub commentary onto matches where people would know took place before he worked there e.g. Natural Disasters winning the tag titles, Bret defending the Intercontinental title? Why are there inconsistencies when some TV matches get new commentary to avoid references to an imminent PPV or to departed wrestlers and others don’t (Greatest Hits being an example)? Best of all why in a company as slick as the WWF were commentary mistakes not swept up in post-production? My two favourites being where Al Hays says during a battle royal (I’ll remember these words til my dying breath) “I can still see Hacksaw Jim Duggan flailing away in there” despite Duggan not being in the match FROM THE START, and JR claiming he remembers a couple of shots that Tito Santana and Rick Martel had when the other was Intercontinental champion. Santana having never defended that title against Martel, Martel having never even won it, ever.

Anyone know anything?

Edited by air_raid