UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Louch said:

What was metallicas “turn the page” used for in wresting? 

Entrance theme for The Origin, top heel group in Progress?

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Yeah I only remember The Origin using it in progress. The only Metallica song I can remember in WWE was The Memory Remains for Taker vs Triple H. And they may have also used For Whom The Bell Tolls?

They definitely did, for HHH entrance at Mania 27. And they used Enter Sandman at One Night Stand for… Sandman, duh.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Samantha Fox turning up at Wrestlemania 3. Was this legit? Why? Thank you.

The Brain talked about it on TV, she was going to present the crown to the winner of Race/JYD, so it was legit in the sense of scheduled at one point. Why is because she actually did pretty well on the US chart and would have been a decent tie-in to the global appeal slant e.g. “what the world is watching” etc. No idea why it fell through.

Imagine as an American kid learning about British culture solely through wrestling at the time? Representing the music, Ozzy. Representing the boobs, Sam.

I received an email from WWE today, asking me to complete a survey about WrestleMania 38.

I say survey, it was basically them begging me to buy tickets and me answering questions on why I don’t want to buy tickets.

I’ve seen a few people get offered free travel packages based on their answers. Anyone else received this or filled it in?

1 hour ago, eugenespeed said:

Did the UK get RAW and Smackdown from their first episodes? 

If not, how long into their run were they first broadcast over here? 

No.

We started getting Raw on Fridays at 5pm sometime in 1995.   But we would usually get to see most of the matches from Raw on one of the other weekend shows, not sure which one.

We started getting Smackdown in January 2000 I think, so we didn't miss much of that.   Highlights of that were also often on the weekend shows.

Also, you didn't ask, but Heat we didn't get until January 2000, but when it first started we used to pretty much get the full show, it was just presented as "Superstars" and had different commentary.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, The Dart said:

No.

We started getting Raw on Fridays at 5pm sometime in 1995.   But we would usually get to see most of the matches from Raw on one of the other weekend shows, not sure which one.

We started getting Smackdown in January 2000 I think, so we didn't miss much of that.   Highlights of that were also often on the weekend shows.

Also, you didn't ask, but Heat we didn't get until January 2000, but when it first started we used to pretty much get the full show, it was just presented as "Superstars" and had different commentary.

The weekend show that used to present matches from Raw was WWF Mania, interspersed with relevant clips if anything happened on any of the weekend jobber shows and occasionally original content or interviews.

The first Raw we got was the “season premiere” episode from 11/09 which for us was 14/09, featuring the heavily hyped “Raw on the roof” new opening and a pretty healthy build for Razor vs Smithers and the Shawn vs Sid Intercontinental title match that had originally been announced for SummerSlam. Weirdly enough in promoting the matches, brief clips were shown to whet the appetite (Sid preparing to powerbomb HBK being one). Even as a kid I hated that they weren’t even pretending the matches were live, a week or more before the show was going to even air over there, so it exposed that they were taping weeks in advance (this was taped the night after SummerSlam). Worse still during the show they did “next week” for Razor vs Kid and Owen/Yoko vs Men on A Mission with not graphics but again, clips, which made me think “Christ, how old are these matches?” as it was beyond strange that they could show me bits of next week before this week has finished. Eric had a point when he opened the first Nitro on the same night with :

”In case you’re tempted to grab the remote control and check out the competition, don’t bother. It’s two or three weeks old. Shawn Michaels beats the big guy with a superkick that wouldn’t earn a green belt a a YMCA. Stay right here. It’s live.”

Highlights from SmackDown did indeed air on the Saturday lunchtime magazine show right from the first episode which by that point in 1999 I believe was still branded Livewire having been WWF Mania in 93-96 and Blast Off in between. This was completely different to the real version of Livewire the US used to get which had live phone ins, often had kayfabe broken and WCW and their talent mentioned, and the hosts or guests occasionally saying things they really shouldn’t. YouTube is great for those.

I have zero recollection of Heat being presented over here as Superstars in its infancy. The beginnings of Sunday Night Heat where it was a proto-SmackDown with all the big stars and gigantic main events or pull-aparts with Rock, Austin, Taker and Kane involved aired in highlight form on the Saturday lunchtime show. For the first few weeks, anyway, until it devolved into another JTTS show except becoming a Free-For-All type hype show on the night of a PPV - Mankind vs Mabel before the 99 Rumble might be the last time something newsworthy happened on a Heat before a PPV. If Heat was repackaged as Superstars it’s likely to have been after the transition to C show. Those were all over the place over here anyway with Shotgun Challenge etc and one of them eventually becoming Metal. Nothing quite like those halcyon Sundays in 1995 of watching a bunch of squashes on Challenge then watching most of the exact same squashes followed by one competitive match on Action Zone. I don’t want to think about how many months it took me to realize I could live without watching Challenge.

Edited by air_raid

3 hours ago, air_raid said:

I have zero recollection of Heat being presented over here as Superstars in its infancy. The beginnings of Sunday Night Heat where it was a proto-SmackDown with all the big stars and gigantic main events or pull-aparts with Rock, Austin, Taker and Kane involved aired in highlight form on the Saturday lunchtime show. For the first few weeks, anyway, until it devolved into another JTTS show except becoming a Free-For-All type hype show on the night of a PPV - Mankind vs Mabel before the 99 Rumble might be the last time something newsworthy happened on a Heat before a PPV. If Heat was repackaged as Superstars it’s likely to have been after the transition to C show. Those were all over the place over here anyway with Shotgun Challenge etc and one of them eventually becoming Metal. Nothing quite like those halcyon Sundays in 1995 of watching a bunch of squashes on Challenge then watching most of the exact same squashes followed by one competitive match on Action Zone. I don’t want to think about how many months it took me to realize I could live without watching Challenge.

We definitely got at least some of the matches from Heat in full right from the beginning on our version of Superstars.   Prior to Heat being a show, we used to get Shotgun at 11am and then we'd get Superstars immediately after it at 12pm with the same matches as Shotgun but with different commentary!   Why, who knows, but I still used to watch them both.   Then one week, suddenly we got different matches on Superstars and those were the matches from Heat.  It may not have been all the matches, but it was 100% from the beginning and it may have only lasted a couple of months, because I don't think it was like that all the way until we actually started getting Heat ourselves (Channel 4).   But it was from the beginning as I can remember the Kane/Mankind vs. Owen Hart/Rock match being shown.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, The Dart said:

Prior to Heat being a show, we used to get Shotgun at 11am and then we'd get Superstars immediately after it at 12pm with the same matches as Shotgun but with different commentary!

But it was from the beginning as I can remember the Kane/Mankind vs. Owen Hart/Rock match being shown.

Makes sense, Superstars had stopped existing as a “matches taped for Superstars” entity in 1997, and I’ve forgotten when our version of Livewire stopped happening, although I was sure that the SmackDown highlights of late 99 were still going out in a magazine/recap show as opposed to jobber matches show.

As an aside the rebranding of Action Zone into a Todd/Dok fronted magazine show in 95 was excellent, mostly for the Ross Report. He’d give you clips of the All Japan women in advance of Survivors 95 so you knew they were good, and throw stuff at you like Warrior maybe coming back for the Rumble (didn’t happen), Jake coming back for the Rumble (which did happen) and hype the potential for a Diesel/Vader confrontation in the Rumble (which sadly didn’t happen). 95-96 was far wilder than people remember with the amount of abandoned stuff, miscues, build for stuff that never happened and random nonsense.