UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

yeah, Windham didn't work at all in 1995, or most of 1994. If I remember correctly, it was a knee injury that took him out in the first instance, but he was away even longer because he tried to sue WCW over the injury.

In terms of getting all of the Horsemen in AEW, it's certainly a potential spot for Windham Rotunda...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I think that was a few years before that, forced him out of an earlier WWF run

89, he dropped out the Survivor series as The Widowmaker to sort shit out and turned up in WCW About 6 months later.

He was replaced by Quake or Dino I think.

He'd only been in the WWF for about 6 months after his WCW contract expired around that great Flair v Steamboat Chi Town Rumble show in early 89.

Does anyone know why the planned feud between The Stalker and Mero in '96 was dropped at Mero's request? 

All I remember about The Stalker gimmick was his appearance at Survivor Series that year. Then the next time you saw him on TV he formed The New Blackjacks with Bradshaw.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

As someone who's knowledge of WCW in the 90's is patchy at best, what happened to Ole Anderson and Barry Windham? I'm watching a lot of early 90's WCW at the moment (jumping back and forth between time periods) and they seem so integral to the Four Horsemen, but then they just seem to disappear. 

I haven't watched much of it either but Ole was the Head Booker, until he got fired after the Black Scorpion shite. He's also famously unlikeable, which is why probably why they didn't keep him around as a talent.

Similar stuff happened in WCW a lot. 

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Wasn't Windham involved in a counterfeiting scam around that time?

It was just Blackjack and Kendall but Baz had to sort it, presumably because he was the only one with money that was real.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Perry said:

Does anyone know why the planned feud between The Stalker and Mero in '96 was dropped at Mero's request?

Wasn't it something about Windham's character was supposed to kidnap Sable (before famous) and hold a knife to her throat?

I’d love to know what plans the WWF had for Windham in 1989, some of his squash matches from that time are great…

I think i’ve heard that he married a very wealthy woman in the mid 90’s and was set financially. Not sure if they are still together .

He actually looked in good shape in late 98/ early 99 but that seemed to be it for him then.

8 hours ago, Perry said:

That sounds quite violent considering the show was still TV-PG at the time.  You can also see why Mero wasn't hot on the idea.

Amazing as well that as soon as that was dropped they had quite literally nothing for The Stalker and he was wrestling in a generic WWF logo T-shirt after just 5 TV matches, and 2 of those were on Superstars

• Paid Members
On 8/5/2021 at 9:42 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

Amazing as well that as soon as that was dropped they had quite literally nothing for The Stalker and he was wrestling in a generic WWF logo T-shirt after just 5 TV matches, and 2 of those were on Superstars

The whole run seemed half-abandoned midway through. As well as dropping the face paint and half his outfit, they abandoned any sense of menace or mystery to his character and he was basically just going out being “Barry Windham but in combats”, with the commentators openly talking about Blackjack being his dad and I’m fairly sure Vince even once referred to him on entrance as “Barry Windham, The Stalker.”

I've been looking online recently at some bits of wrestling memorabilia, and I'm struggling to understand the "Certificate Of Authenticity" part.

It usually looks like something with non-specific wording that anyone can print off the internet and write in the relevant details themselves (example shown below).

Is there more to it than that?

nyl2otdpdsw61.jpg

Edited by dopper

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, dopper said:

I've been looking online recently at some bits of wrestling memorabilia, and I'm struggling to understand the "Certificate Of Authenticity" part.

It usually looks like something with non-specific wording that anyone can print off the internet and write in the relevant details themselves (example shown below).

Is there more to it than that?

Usually, there really isn't. They used to be used by autograph dealers, and were more about proving authenticity from one dealer to another than proving anything to your average customer - if you knew Dealer X was reputable, and the autograph you buy came with a certificate from him, you could reasonably assume it was legit. 

They're meant to be about being able to trace provenance, but for the most part, though, they're as worthless as the paper they're written on, and I don't think they're widely used by serious collectors any more. Anyone who would forge an autograph will easily forge the certificate as well. You'll sometimes get them alongside a photograph of the signing taking place, though.